My Blog List

Monday, August 10, 2026

Ernie the girl, conjoined twins, a fancy car and thrifty finds.

 

Before Ernie lost her hearing and her ability to know which way home was, she came to the door most days in the summer. If the door was open she politely stepped inside and sat , looking at me on the computer or in the kitchen. She got  a pet, a "good girl" and a buffalo biscuit and then she  meandered back home. It has been a couple of years,   for her own safety,  that she has been on a lead and kept indoors.  I have missed her visits very much. She is the sweetest girl! happy all of the time and so well behaved- a gem of a pooch.

Last night a knock on the door and there stood  Ernie and her human, wagging and smiling and glad -to- see- you...there to report that this is going to be her final day on the planet. She will be going off to Flora Jane's idea of what happens after we die. Brought by to say our goodbyes to a very good girl and a prize of a doggo, our Ernie.  she is older than I thought- I thought that maybe she might have been eleven tops but she is nearly 15 and her legs are not working, she has other issues as well and it is time. She will not suffer the wheels coming entirely off- been down that road with other pets and it is not pleasant, not forgiving, to linger in a shite state.  Difficult thing to do for your beloved  but admirable that while she is still wagging and being lovely, her humans are giving her a break. The love is big.

"The doctor gives you a shot and  your mom puts you in the earth and then you get to go to the underground place where you can play all day with ALL of the dogs and cats and children and eat treats and there are more stars than what we have" - Flora Jane , age 4 3/4.

 

 

Ernie, nearly 15.

This morning I saw purple foot prints on the deck, The raccoons walking on purple petals that have blown from the flowers dyed their little feet. They are feeling goth.


When Stella and I left Clarissa's place we met a large gnome carved from a tree-

We followed this vintage car which was probably headed to a car show of some sort, all shiny and manicured. Looking like a great drive in movie car ,with an amorous boyfriend -back in the day. 

Stella, of the best ideas , parked by a really fun vintage shop where she bought a sweet metal basket for her deck flowers and I bought wooden spools, an old tin with dead people on it, and three peculiar dolls.  The granny is celluloid , fragile , paper thin, and has a hefty hole in her head. I may remedy that with something...vintage cotton bandage?

 

-dead people on a tin - 




Three days of Stella last week has been SO LUCKY!! She is the BEST! as you know, and we balance one another in that she can't hear and I can't see . Together we make a complete person.

This morning Jan sent photos of her children- the conjoined twin daisies. They are stunning aren't they?

Full bloom and probably on the way out as we all are. Cared for lovingly by our Jan, a Bonny Lass! Good to the core!


It is mid day now and still 59 degrees. The flowers on the deck are loving this cold summer. They are leggy but perky, I picked some for Clarissa, to take to her opening. I found a rainbow basket at the thrift store, of course. Perfect for Clarissa.
 



 


  

22 comments:

  1. I will miss Ernie. I always enjoyed the visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Ernie has been a calming presence, a furry bit of happiness, I am sad but I didn't let her know.

      Delete
  2. How nice to have been able to say farewell to Ernie the Good Girl. The conjoined twins are gorgeous, and so is that rainbow basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very thoughtful of the humans to bring Ernie over one last time. I did not have a buffalo biscuit for her, sadly. When she quit coming over i gave the rest to the raccoons.

      Delete
  3. Emie will be missed but always remembered. She seems very sweet and a gem of a pooch. It is never easy to say one last goodbye to much loved pooch like Emie. RIP Emie.
    The conjoined twins are unique. I have never seen daisies like that.
    Carving a gnome out of the remains of a tree is brilliant. Someone did a very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie , awwww, such a sweetheart. rarely are their dogs so polite. The daisies of Jan's are quite remarkable! she should enter them into a record somewhere or a beauty contest or something! RARE. The gnome does look ambitious! It will be around for a very long time i reckon!

      Delete
  4. Unusual to see conjoined daisies. Sad to hear Ernie will be no more, but happy that her family are doing the right thing by not prolonging her suffering. I did the same with my cat Lola, back in March when her arthritis got so bad her hips were collapsing as she tried to walk. One day she seemed fine, the next day she wasn't and on the third day I held her as she slipped away at the vet clinic. I love the rainbow basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh River , the most difficult thing in the world...so sorry about Lola. That is one reason why I only keep wild animals - nature can do the final work...I have buried too many pets, all quite sad. I miss them all and I miss having a pet around, but ...don't miss their departure.

      Delete
  5. My heart would break knowing those beautiful eyes were seeing their last day. Really sad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday just before she died, the family and friends took Ernie out for a walk, she had steak and maybe some ice cream.Her send off was very sweet and loving. AND yes, sad.

      Delete
  6. Ah, sweet Ernie. Still happy and wagging and not knowing so not fearing her fate. A very difficult day for her humans.
    I love the raccoon paw prints - so perfect and delicate.
    As for the conjoined daisies, they're quite lovely.
    Flora Jane's philosophy is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. another winter would be hard for Ernie, too grand of a dog to have to endure, she went at a good time, wagging all the way. Sweet girl. I hope that when I become too comp;romised to live that some one calls the doctor for a shot and puts me in the earth to play all day...
      The raccoons are lovely folks, the purple foot prints are quite fancy!

      Delete
  7. We waited too late, really, with our Pearl who was also fifteen when we finally had the vet come and help her on. She was confused most of the time and it was so hard for her to get around. She did love salmon skin, fried up and crispy and that's what I made her the night before she was set free.
    Flora Jane's idea of an afterlife is as good as any and better than many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the most difficult decision...and another reason to not have a pet. Selfish I suppose but the heart break is so hard on humans. Animals depend on us so.
      hooray for crispy salmon skin and a good send off. Yes, I am going to go with Flora's idea, I think. It is comfortable and fun.

      Delete
  8. Oh, sweet Ernie. So nice that your neighbor brought her over for goodbyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most considerate thing to do. They are great neighbors.

      Delete
  9. Farewell Ernie. I can't fathom going through that experience again, and yet I suppose I'll have to someday. (Unless I die first, which might be preferable.) Those are some very unusual dolls, especially the granny. So glad you have Stella in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella is Bella!
      You certainly will have to go through that again unless Bailey raptures or you die early...tough call.
      Ernie has been the most lovely dog.

      Delete
  10. Aw, sweet Ernie girl. So hard to let go, it's the hardest part of pet ownership. So nice of her people to stop by to say, "see you on the other side"
    And I'm glad you have Stella, together making a perfect person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love the idea of loved ones knowing when to call the. shots- shot being the operative...I need people like that when I get too stupid to live.

      Delete
  11. Ernie has had a great run, brought a lot of joy to her humans and to you, but as you say, "it's time" let her go with dignity, it is the right and kind thing to do. That's a 57 Chevy, brought back many memories of my motorhead high school days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are the most difficult - they just never stop wagging and being grateful and loving. Dexter, our dog, was like that- I couldn't bear to hold him because he would want to please me by wagging while being injected with the final shot. So, Dennis held him.

      A 57 Chevy is a mighty fine car!

      Delete