During WW2 wooden spools of thread were used to send messages to military behind enemy lines. The hole in the spool is perfect for messages rolled up , covered over with the label. I may use them for that purpose, secret messages.
Turned out to be a fabric day -30% off for seniors at the thrift store. This yardage intrigues me. Dyed resembling Mulberry paper ; like watercolor- 2.5 yards of cotton. The texture is interesting, the dye penetrates through in a non pattern pattern.
Among the T-towels I found this embroidered Shipibo cloth , from Peruvian Amazon rainforest tribe. Soft enough to be mistaken for a T-towel , every stitch done by a woman's hand. Glad the mistake was made- the price was typical T-towel price of $1.50
I bought another length of mystery fabric but it does not photograph well. It is extraordinary and made into a shawl/scarf thing. Some days feed my fabric addiction, I must say!
I bought little else except for some contemporary tin cherubs with bells, on a beaded wire. I will dismantle them -rust them up probably , and use them in cigar boxes. The beads are glass. If the world blows up and sends us underground I will have plenty to do to keep from going insane...more insane, I mean.
Oh, nearly forgot, In the wool bin which is $2.00 a pound I found a deep rich blue cashmere sweater from Scotland- it weighed nothing so damned near free... it also has a few tiny moth holes in it but that is do-able. I just have to find the right color of wool thread for mending it. It is beautiful!
Ragfinery is the best invention ever! So glad that they did not have to close entirely and found a new home. Better than a weed shop, a better addiction, I reckon.













Fabulous treasures! Wish we had a comparable shop here.
ReplyDeleteXoxo
Barbara
Well, If you have a business mind and contribute to charity and re-cycling YOU could open a shop!! ( yeah , like we all have time for that). anyway, such a great idea for recycling fabric.
DeleteScore!!! I just LOVE Fabric and Trims. I used to Collect Antique and Vintage Fabric and Trims. I had a Source in Belgium and he'd send it to me by the Kilo, coz that was Cheaper, but would come in large Blue Bundles looking like an International Drug Deal. *Ha ha hahaha*
ReplyDeleteOh you lucky girl1 A source in the motherland! European fabrics are sensational. The velvet especially! I went to a church Jumble in Kent and scored three huge panel of old velvet for a quid! I had them for years and finally gave them away. That was dumb.
DeleteI'm thrilled at seeing your beautiful bounty, and knowing what good deals you got as well.
ReplyDeleteI guess youngsters don't quite know what to do with fabric- lucky for US old folks!
DeletePlease don't bury that gorgeous blue silk in a stash. With that border it would make stupendous curtains. That's quite a haul of stuff you got.
ReplyDeleteOK then it is settled, I will make curtains! or one large curtain across the absence where doors used to be for the closet. The certainly might dress up the bedroom a little bit.
DeleteThat would be pretty.
DeleteHoly moly, you hit the JACKPOT! Some gorgeous finds there.
ReplyDeleteLucky day! There were more things that I left behind because i was getting too piggy...
DeleteI am beyond wildly jealous. What more can I say? That silk is like a dream. Please, please do something with it! Or, just stroke it and move it about in the sun now and then. It deserves regular praise and worship.
ReplyDeleteHa.- ha ,regular praise and worship indeed. It is the prettiest length of silk I have ever seen. women kept stoppping me on my way to the counter to praise and worship it! women know things!!!
DeleteAmen and Hallelujah.
DeletePlease, please do NOT cut up that Scottish teatowel! Put it in a frame and hang it.
ReplyDeleteWhy rust up those cherubs? They are beautiful just as they are! Like Ms. Moon, I am wildly jealous of your Ragfinery store, we have no such thing here. The silk would definitely become a curtain here in my home.
You are right, I will starch and iron it and go get a frame from the craft store for it. It is pretty great! Plus we could all learn a few words.
DeleteI'm green with envy that you have textiles so available, so inexpensive... I would spend my life savings and never go a day without visiting the shop for a fabric fix. That sari silk is lush.
ReplyDeleteOur town has ZERO commercial fabric shops, our only one Jo Anne's just closed this winter . So thrift shops and ragfinery have bailed me out, deliciously so. I just have to find a rod long enough to make curtains work.
DeleteToday was your very lucky day! Amazing finds. The silk is particularly beautiful. The t-towel from Scotland is charming and the metal cherubs strung with glass beads to be re-invented will be something special. The altar cloth is very finely embroidered and I love the pattern.
ReplyDeleteRagfinery must do a great business.
https://www.ragfinery.com/aboutus...Non profit. The thing is that young folks don't know how to sew. It is mostly artist and old ladies keeping it alive. The classes are bringing sewing back to the table however. Our town does not have a dress code of any sort so anything is acceptable. It has always been thus in Bellingham. Dennis saw a woman walking down the street a few years ago wearing chaps ...no pants.
DeleteYou are a thrift Queen!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh! I better get to the thrift shop and find a crown!! Another reason to go!
Delete