My Blog List

Tuesday, January 6, 2026

bird art on the rail, t-towels, orphans fortify the castle

Oh, Hello, I will just leave this here for you...

Before the pelting rain and wind , little bird leaves a gift on the railing. unaware that the rain would sweep it away, organic art is like that.  Never mind, there is more where that came from.

Art on a grand scale , especially in protest,  was highly effective in Vienna , as two architect students , dismayed at the public's lack of concern, built a futuristic city in the  city fountain . It took weeks and many volunteers to construct the eco -town,  using concrete blocks.

Here- A team of Austrian students installed a model city in the centre of Vienna to show how much housing and infrastructure could be built with the €19 billion (£15 billion) that the government is paying to bail out a local bank

The outcome was successful- the government paid attention! The outrage  mollified to some extent,  awareness  protest. Art is a power, no doubt. 

Art @ No Kings march nationwide did have an effect, though small, the orange did shut up for five minutes. Notice was taken.

And now, for a little desperately  needed color - I ordered linen/cotton T-Towels from Spoonflower which came today! Spoonflower had a SALE!  These should make dish washing more fun!  



I enjoy bathing my dishes , pots and pans- getting my fingernails clean, sculpting the suds...warming my hands. When. we moved here there was a dish washer-  had it removed and used the  needed space for kitchen things. A much more pragmatic use .  Never been a fan of dish washers.

Dishes will feel like  it is a party everyday , getting dried by these magnificent towels, how could they not?

 Grey monotonous dull darkness- be GONE-I say! 

Fresca has made the most wonderful marching band hat for one of the girlettes- She used toilet paper core , black  paint and has  cleverly fashioned a feather out of paper. Detailed and fiddly  - she reckons she will make one for each of  the entire marching band !  I marvel! 

The orphans  wear everyday  crowns. They are shored up with heavy matte gel to give them durability because , as I said, the orphans every day casual  wear...There were a few left over rounds of bog roll  core, made  into a chain to protect the castle. Not much protection really, more of a warning to intruders- the orphans , fond of  the  jail ,  are anxious to chain  up a bad guy and keep  him in the slammer. Flora is onboard with that. After she had gone I noticed that the king was still behind bars. I let him out ,  he better behave- cease with his bossiness and pie eating. Flora was cross about his behavior. 
 



The crowns are easy - Fresca's  shako is complicated and masterful! Well done Girlette goddess. 

If I have not posted enough cuteness for this day here is my friend's cat- Norwegian ginger!  And her squirrel on the front step asking  "Please, sir, I want some more."


 
That's it. No moaning today- a break from my  tedium of blah blah blah, this and that. There is too much else to focus on- blowing my nose, sneezing and drinking loads  of tea. Caught Dennis's cold,  I did. 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


 

21 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the Girlette pictures, they always put a smile on my face. I hope your cold is soon gone, never to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- immune system going to work as it should. just sniffly and thick...

      Delete
  2. YOUR crowns gave me the idea for shakos—not hard, either, just tiny bit futzy attaching the bill.
    YOU are the Queen of Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardboard- throw some glitter at it and turn on the lights! Simple remedy for the every day cloud covered darkness! You must use remarkable glue! How the bill was attached is , however you did it, brilliant.

      Delete
  3. Your mind and your hands and your mind's eye and your talents are wonders, Linda Sue. Fresca's as well. Your presence in Flora's life is a gift she will always carry with her.
    Now get better! Your winters are bad enough without having a cold. And please give my regards to that regal feline as well as that most adorable of squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Playing is a gift - never having to outgrow a child.'s mind..arrested development, maybe? Tipping my toe into senility? Probably.
      I like the direction that being an old woman takes!

      Delete
  4. That Marching band hat is remarkable. Toilet rolls are so useful, homemade Christmas crackers and so on. I made several napkin rings from them covered with fabric and ribbon. Just the right size for so many things!
    Get well, and meanwhile take the opportunity to take it easy and drink nice hot drinks! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toilet rolls are versatile just the right amount of cardboard and the right shape- my friend uses them to start seedlings and plants them along with the cardboard, it disintegrates rapidly leaving the seedling to branch out.

      Delete
  5. Your world of orphans and girlettes and crowns and jailed bad guys is so much more fun and better than the real world right now. Let fantasy thrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing we can so about what is happening in this country right now so may as well take a jaunt into pretend. It is more acceptable by far.

      Delete
  6. Ahhh the gift from one's spouse that keeps on giving, a virus! Surprised that Allison hasn't killed me as payment for the one I gave her a couple weeks ago! Miraculously, I'm still here. Heal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis, the giver! Masks were invented for a reason. But I suppose when one is at home one forgets- the plague does not care!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. You captured the bird and all his/her loveliness full on. Nice close-up!
    The castle is fantastic, and you and Flora have lots of fun creating artful castle scenarios and stories. Hours of play are a good thing.
    Get well soon! The viruses are circulating full-on. My neighbor went to her granddaughter's dance recital, and she and her husband came home sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my immune system is pretty good- Just one day of feeling like a bus hit me. Tough old bird that I am.
      Flora Jane is a happy maker.!

      Delete
  8. Ugh -- sorry about the cold. That is an adorable squirrel, though. The bird looks a bit like the chaffinches I see here in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chubby little artistic bird is a black eyed junko- they are hearty!
      The cold is just mildly annoying- On the mend!

      Delete
  9. They all look wonderful, birds, girlette, orphans. Just get rid of that cold, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and isn't that little cat the cutest feline ever!! Cold is leaving quickly- another ten hour nap ought to do it!

      Delete
  10. That cat. Sigh. I need to order those towels for a friend of mine whose whole world is mid-century modern. Spoonflower, huh? Any particular artist I should look for? And cute orphans today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no special artist just look at all of the t-towel options - they are obvious. They arrived quickly! I Know, that cat has me going as well! Such an adorable little thing she is!

      Delete