It's dark in the house because it is dark outside and there are not enough lamps to brighten our day.
Drippy , cold boxing day. Emily texted that they all fell ill after Santa came to their house so I am suspicious of Santa now.
One of the gifts that I gave to Flora made Emily cry. The Kissing Hand- and if you did not think that raccoon mothers were genius before, this bit of info should convince you.
"On a train ride in Wheaton, Maryland, Penn witnessed a ritual in which a mother raccoon placed its nose on a baby raccoon's paw, and then the baby raccoon placed its paw on its own face.[1][4] The park ranger said that the purpose of the ritual was to transfer scent from the mother to the baby so that the baby could recall the mother's scent by bringing its paw to its face.[1] Penn started a similar ritual with her daughter — kissing her hand and telling her that whenever she was homesick, she could put her hand on her cheek." Wiki.
Dennis gave us an air purifier, looks like a little member of the family.All business he is, too. The air so clean now that I think I have sprouted another lung to accommodate all of this good breathing air.
There were seven crackers unused, so for breakfast I ate birthday cake and popped them all , keeping the prizes for myself. One was totally empty , no hat, no jokes no prize! Glad some child. did not get that one!I am saving the hats for the orphans to make things out of. By the way- pop on over to the Girlettes and their marching band through the park by the river. Freezing cold -I must say the photographer is mighty!
The Portuguese family spent christmas in Palm Springs hiking. They sent some sunshine-
They got this close to mountain sheep, several of them.
Family loves to. hike- they won the lottery to hike in the the Enchantments during the fall. Only a few are ever selected to hike the extreme hikes! Hikes that can lead one to murder or at least, divorce. it came close, but, in the end, they all made it out of there in tact- lose the audio, it is annoying, just look and be glad that you are not young and crazy anymore...
When I first moved to Washington state I hiked nearly everyday- lived in a place close to trails and hills and lakes and sea. Youth is a powerhouse! The hikes are gorgeous everywhere in the PNW , the cascade mountains are stunning , as well as the Olympic mountains on the peninsula. It was quite an adjustment to live on a street, in a house, on pavement. And now I can do nothing but. Sad.I had a good run, though, no regrets.
( why did I post this Norwegian flag photo twice? because I am old, that is why. )
Boxing day blues- the thrill , the company- gone. January will be a time to snooze. I will remove the boughs that made a Thomas tree and stash the lights until next year. This tree was most disappointing to Flora. "Where is your tree with presents under it?!?" She could not believe the Thomas tree was all we had. "That is NOT a tree!" If everyone comes next year I will get the usual , fragrant tree and will put gifts under it for the orphans...I don't know, that is a whole year away and as they say, anything can happen! Waiting for the Rapture, pretty sure I will be the first to float away.Oh , before I forget, my sister friend in Loveland sent this photo. A Rocky Mountain Bull elk parked himself in her backyard for the day! this is highly unusual- a good omen I reckon. He must have been drawn to her loving calm spirit- felt safe! The look on his face is utterly mellow and content.

















This post is cheerful enough to brighten anyone's day. I will say though, that I sort of wanted to slap perky girl with good hair. Oh, not really. I'm afraid I did not take as much advantage of my youth as you did. Well, I can't say that. I had my children and where would I be now without them?
ReplyDeleteI love it when I spy Zippy in your pictures. I look at mine so many times a day. One day recently he looked lonely to me so I put one of the Seminole dolls in his arms. She'd been sort of out to the side and I thought maybe she'd like some better company.
My god but that Bull elk is magnificent.
I am not sure that leggings would be great hiking gear but there you go- I don't hike...what do I know, anyway , hope you turned the audio off. I did not have a child until forty- I knew that it would require all of me, so i did everything I could think of before pumping out a baby. Time management! And then i met the right man- so I was a lucky woman. I did all of the things and saved the best for last.
DeleteZippy is pleased that he gets to be sat on the sofa with Butterscotch. Zippy monkeys are so damned cheerful- Can't have a grumpy day with Zippy around and in view!
I was unaware of the hiking options in Palm Springs. The landscape is beautiful, and I love the red arid mountainous trails. The sunshine looks terrific too!
ReplyDeleteOut of the mouths of babes. Flora questions the Christmas tree. She does make me smile.
The Elk is massive. Was he just passing by or is he a regular visitor?
With all the flu nonsense going around, I actually would like an air purifier. Shark makes a good product. Dennis chose well.
I am loving this purifier - It is charming with its little blue circle light and is totally silent. It has a "capture" that can be rinsed so the filter never needs changing! Excellent invention. The elk is unusual, settling down in a residential area for an all day rest. It must be my sister's magic at work! We were introduced at age three and have been like siblings ever since. She is my touchstone!
DeleteHiking palm springs has options for day hikers , difficult or easy. What a great holiday for them- they have done these hikes before -needed some sun!
Flora tells it like it is!
I would love to hike that terrain but it's not a good idea at my age and total lack of experience.
ReplyDeleteThe girlettes marching band is Fabulous!!
Flora will soon enough learn that not all christmas trees are huge and have presents under them.
Your crackers have far better gifts than the cheap breakable plastic rubbish we get in ours.
Hiking days are over for me as well- Walking slowly on a level clear path is more like it. hat I do not like are fake trees- what is the point of that- it is like having fake flowers.Boughs are OK but Flora is not convinced of that!
DeleteMy tree is fake, far better for my wallet than buying a new real one every year. I have had the same one for over twenty years now.
DeleteFun times!
ReplyDeleteIn the photo of the elk, What is the thing in the middle???
I think it is a broken bird feeder
DeleteThat looks like beautiful (if strenuous) hiking country! I can't imagine why the bull elk set up camp in the yard. I wonder if he was a bit lost.
ReplyDeletemaybe an outcast? senile? I would not be wandering into rifle territory so willingly if I were an elk...maybe it was the draw of peace and quiet at my friend's house. Maybe he has a crush on her.
DeleteBeautiful country , no doubt- for the hearty!
Beautiful area. I did some boulder scrambling when I visited my friend in Colorado. Here though? Flat. And what a handsome visitor.
ReplyDeleteThe hikes around here are, rather can be, challenging. Even hiking enthusiasts like family, can be sorry they ventured out- the enchantments are just that- "so you think that you can hike, eh?"
DeleteAssuming those were the gifts in your crackers you had mighty fine crackers, expensive ones!
ReplyDeleteI never saw such lovely cracker gifts in all my 80 years but I do own the exact same phone box key ring! JanF
The crackers from the Olde English warehouse on the Hannegan were not that dear. They generally shy away from cheap plastic dumb prizes. Who knows, next year may be slim pickings- tariffs and bad attitude - orange man.
DeleteThe Girlettes say,
ReplyDeletethank you kindly 😊
Girlettes RULE!!!
DeleteRick gave me duct cleaning for Christmas. I think it is long overdue and maybe will be a good breathing thing! I LOVE that you popped the crackers -- those are your prizes? Boy, all I got in ours were a candy cane and a joke!
ReplyDeleteWe have a really good Olde English shop here- it is obscure, no one knows about it...anyway, the prizes are superb! Even better than the ones i got in London!
DeleteI love that tree - must try that aproach here in future. Summer time xmas trees shed crazily.
ReplyDelete