My Blog List

Wednesday, December 3, 2025

shut off

 
Yesterday i drove out to Home Goods to get stuff to fill  baskets for the neighbors.  Silly cow struck my fancy though I did not buy any. 
Remembering when I was changing buses @ Catford on my way to Greenwich. A muddy, large, unattractive growlly man blocked my way as I was leaving the bus,  got into my face and said something about something and then finished with "silly cow". The visual of a cow being silly made me laugh, which was not what that man intended- Clearly he wanted to intimidate but , sorry, failed-" silly cow" - is hilarious.  "Cow" is the best so -called insult ever. And silly is the only way to be.  
I did not buy the Silly Cow Chocolate but may need to go back to do so. It's a winner.
These folks are blocking the drive way. Not sure how long they may be there, fixing the deep water filled hole where the cul de sac 's wires live. The ADU has presented a few problems, Buried electricity is one.  They may shut it all off in another minute so I am racing to get this posted.
 



 



26 comments:

  1. The ADU, the gift that keeps on giving..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A complex home, more than we imagined! Pretty sure that issues will crop up now and then...It is certainly more crowded back there now! "give me land, lots of land , under starry skies above...."

      Delete
  2. The ADU continues to be a very big project. Do they have a move-in date? It ought to be coming to completion soon.
    I was once told "silly cow" too. My response was "you silly bull" and his jaw dropped. Clearly, he could dish it out but not take it. Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concrete is still curing- good luck with all of the rain we have had! I suppose the target might be the first of the year sometime. or maybe springtime. It is quite the project! "Silly Cow' ios such a lame insult- it is like calling someone a joyful sheep or something.

      Delete
  3. I would have bought the Silly Cow chocolate just for the cute bottle. I have often been called stupid B**ch but never a silly cow. Insults don't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right- I should go back and buy at least one just for the bottle!

      Delete
  4. I see that there are three! count them three! atmospheric rivers forecast to make landfall next
    week in the PNW. Hopefully, they are wrong.
    https://cw3e.ucsd.edu/cw3e-ar-update-3-december-2025-outlook/
    Did you see the story about the drunk raccoon in a Virginia liquor store? Poor thing, bad hang over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been wet- swimming through the days, everyone says- but the trees and all of the green required loads of water, and they do. Otherwise there would be horrendous late summer fires- this area full. of tinder!

      Delete
  5. An acquaintance with a nuisance raccoon problem once put out spiked watermelons (melons infused with vodka or some such) to encourage them to go elsewhere; she woke to a bunch of very miserable bandits strewn about the back yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, that is not a good plan at all! My broom does the job when I need to shoo them away. They are timid little monkeys.

      Delete
  6. I don’t envy you your location’s darkness, but I’m always struck by how lush and gorgeous the scenery is!
    Drenched greenery.

    (I’m glad we’re having a snowy winter here—without that brightening white, it’s bare and can be rather bleak.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so agree! It is beautiful here in every season except the rainy season of darkness.. Thanks to YOU, the orphans delight in it and are up to capital shenanigans that bring joy and comfort!

      Delete
  7. Your reaction to the growlly, jowlly man was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter can get you killed...imagine laughing at trump in his face when he intends to be menacing!

      Delete
  8. Whenever I read in a book written by an English author the endearment "hen" used towards a woman, it makes my heart so happy. I guess that would be a sort of opposite to the supposed insult, "silly cow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, too, is complimentary! Silly Cow is not very imaginative but it does provide a visual that is uplifting and fun! "Hen' is endearing.

      Delete
  9. Funny how an insult in one culture is a hilarious image in another. We are working through that at present. Mr B having landed in NZ as a permanent (rather than guest, visitor or tourist) is processing in a different way some of our idiom - took offence at being referred to as my 'fella'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "fella" (?) how in any culture that would be offensive is beyond me...That is just normal speak...isn't it?

      Delete
  10. When he called you a silly cow, well, better than being a stupid ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I delight in the Silly Cow "insult", it is the best! It is sort of like the cow chooses a moment of silly and behaves in a dancing, joyful manner. I coulod do that...as it was , though, there was nothing particularly silly about me getting off of the bus (?) I reckon the man was just having a bad life.

      Delete
    2. well, you know I meant that he was the stupid ass. and sometimes I think silliness is our only saving grace.

      Delete
  11. Home Goods. The best. I've had Silly Cow hot cocoa. It's pretty good -- and you can't beat the name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the bottle- Silly Cow flower vase (?) I could use that!

      Delete
  12. I think I saw these at TJ/TK Maxx too. One day I went in and the end cap was LOADED with all kinds fun silly fun and I'm with you. Silly is the way to go. Hi. I'm Ivy. I found you on AbbyNormal's page. Love our HomeGoods - I find very nice baking things there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! HomeGoods is where I purchased table cloths and place mats for our very long table- family dinners- the mats are lovely! Two large bags later and I still had cash left over! At the moment HomeGoods is my place to shop!

      Delete
    2. Wonderful! Yes, I find lots of deals there too. And TJ Maxx (owned by the same company). Got two cute Christmas mugs there this year at TJM and then really neat little bowls and plates at HG.

      Delete