My Blog List

Saturday, December 6, 2025

Sally and I go see a movie, Hamnet

 Best Christmas "hymn" ever, not about exhausted Mary birthing that baby every damned year in the dead of winter.

Lights sparkling  on a dark rainy night in December- just my cup of tea! Sally and I went to see Hamnet at the Pickford downtown. We went in  dark daylight at 2:00 . I waited for her in the lobby .

I had an art  studio upstairs once , it was grand! Two rooms, leaded glass, large  windows that opened wide onto the street-   an ancient brothel (?) it was set up that way.  Built as a department store in 1904  with "offices" above- later became an antique shop and then a Deli . A brother and sister rented the space, they were all of 21 years old, fluent in ASL ,because their little brother was born deaf, English and Polish. Fun and charming little family , served polish food and played loud music. I worked across the street @ Little Panda, an import shop, and had lunch from the Deli when I could afford it. Slim chance of affording anything- I made $2.50 an hour early 80's. Took what you could get,everyone was poor.

waiting for Sally in the lobby looking out onto the street.
The film is a good one, comes with advice to stack your purse with tissues because, they warn, floods of tears. I shed not a one but did prepare with half a  toilet roll in my bag. Sally bought pop corn,  freshly popped  in small batches- real butter as much as is desired.  Sprinkle options of brewers yeast flakes or Parmesan or cinnamon and sugar.  Tea or coffee if one needs a warm up- choice of  whole milk or half and half. Bottled organic soft drinks- and an array of sweets. 

 Our favorite theater by far. 

Erik was in high school when the theater was gathering money to build their idea. They sponsored film competitions at schools to interest the kids in a future of film making. Erik entered twice,  and with his team,  won first prize twice.  Glorious  days of kids in the house filming, editing, laughing  way too much. Our family contributed hundreds of dollars to the building project. It took YEARS! Anyway, it holds a place in our hearts.

Movie over, vanta black  and raining outside, of course.  The old Mount Baker apartment building across the street lit up , eight floors built in 1929, art deco-ish  on the inside , is now low income housing- IN STYLE, I might add. the apartments are charmingly old school. 

Sally reckoned that we should walk over to the Leopold, another old building  that has gone through a few incarnations, but is now once again a hotel. There is a pop up bar that she wanted to check out.

I could not get out of there fast enough!
 

There is the hotel bar that is much more mellow , nicer. We did not stop for a drink , we  wandered through the downstairs .


The ballroom where Dead Maggie had her 90th birthday party.

I would give them a nickle for this ceiling light though it might be  demanding to keep it sparkling. Plus I would have to build a house around it. So, I guess I will keep my nickle. As they say- a nickle saved is... a nickle.
 

 so-Hamnet is a most worthy film to see- Jesse Buckley is amazing. Acting skills that will slap you silly!  Her character's  force and emotional journey symbolized  in the wearing of her red dress throughout the film. She deserves ALL of the prizes! 

And now, I love you and leave you with  over -it -apples on a tree...and a ginger bread/ graham cracker  looking house across the street from My friend's across town. Yummy.

it just needs icing....

 

 

 


 

 

24 comments:

  1. That looks like a fantastic theater and it's cool how it's interwoven into your family story. I have no desire to see weepy Hamnet. I do not need weepy at this point in my life.

    I think the pop-up bar looks kind of fun, as long as there wasn't loud music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is not a "guy" film to be sure! The emotional jerky-ness is predictable- I wasn't going to get involved, The cinematography is stunning. I could watch the main character for day, though! she is fabulous/

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda. I see the gingerbread house now that you mention it. Those lights, I like. I love lights. But also love the calm in the other photo too. Both are nice. Sounds like a neat shoppe that the brother and sister bought. Hourly wages have changed for sure. Cheers and happy weekend, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hourly wages are still pretty dismal , rents are very high- nothing is a bargain! Disheartening for youngins to get a leg up. The pop up bar is light overload for sure!

      Delete
    2. Do you have an ALDI? I find my local ALDI has stayed quite steady and fair with prices. I've been amazed that they've done so.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful theater! Love the theater architecture and the fact that a highly successful restoration was completed.
    The crystal chandeliers are fantastic. Old world elegance is lovely.
    The bar is ready for good times and holiday partying. It must be a nighttime hot spot.
    It is very cold in MA, with no sun. We also have a light snow cover.
    It's beginning to look more Christmasy and with a bit of sunshine all will improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pop up bar will leave after Christmas and then the Hotel will renovate that room to be something less loud. Snow would change the landscape in a positive way- a change from grey. The sea gulls are even grumpy about it.

      Delete
  4. Great little theater especially with your personal attachment to it and having a studio upstairs before it was a theater. anyway, not wonder you had to get out of that bar, so dull and boring. Could have used some more lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I agree, they could have squeezed in three more lights to REALLY make a statement!

      Delete
  5. Aren't little theaters wonderful?
    I suppose I will see that movie although I feel like Steve- I do not need any reason to cry. I could see it lasting forever. I don't know how you stand your weather. It has been gray and cold(ish) for two days here and I'm ready to crawl into bed and stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. winters up here are kind of like a very long terrible labor. You just do it... and then SPRING!!! The deepening chill gets into one's spine- bed is the best place to be.

      Delete
  6. The "Gingerbread" house is beautiful and I almost cried at those apples wasted, left to rot on the tree. I think that Bar is way "overdressed" with the fancy lights, more trashy than pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rotten apples are a common thing here- there are so many of them, good for the raccoons and bugs and deer.
      You are right about the Pop Up- TOOO much!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That "pop up" bar gives me seizures, the hotel bar on the other hand could contribute to the demise of my liver, very nice. There are a lot of houses in North Seattle (Wallingford, Ballard, Phinney Ridge) that are very similar to the gingerbread house. How goes your battle with the Big Dark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Big Dark is sucking the life out of us. "Hang on!!!" Clinging to visions of sugar plums! Filling the house with fairy lights! If i were in a cabin in the woods with a real fire and real candles and a big pot of stew, all would be well- so I keep that image in my head and pretend.

      Delete
  9. Hamnet is on my list. Thanks for the review. But the real beauty here is that theatre. I have a very big spot in my heart for vintage theatre architecture and try to visit them when I travel, especially if they have a tour. So many have been lost, so this one is a real treasure. Thanks for sharing the pix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that does not surprise me, your love of theaters, you being a thespian and performer. The Pickford does charm- They even offer ear plugs for sensitive hearing persons ( I am one) and captions for the deaf, however, there is no wheel chair ramp that I could see anyway.

      Delete
  10. The gaudy bar is frightful but someone loves it. The alternative looks like an oasis of calm and style - a great follow-on from the theatre and what looks like a cheery mid-winter turn round the lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people in the the pop up were the young folks, no grannies. As it should be. Lights downtown are surprisingly cheerful. That area is generally dismal and full of homeless desperation, drugs and cramie. so, good to see that the lights bring cheer and good natured folk walking around.

      Delete
  11. A feast for the eyes here as always. Although those rotted apples... Around here, they fall off the trees and make smooshed messes on the sidewalks.
    Jessie Buckley is one of my current fave actors, and I want to see Hamnet. I last saw her and Olivia Colman in "Wicked Little Letters" - wicked fun!
    Erik's team entered twice and won twice - WOOT! Looks like a wonderful place to catch a flick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple guts everywhere! This time of year is for ghosts ! Oh yes!! Jessie Buckley !!! GAWD she is fabulous! I kiss the hem of her garment! Such a fan!
      You will enjoy Hamnet- even though it is intense at times- they did a fair job with the story but Jessie carried the entire thing into gobsmacking awe!

      Delete
  12. Issaquah was always covered in fallen cherries and apples. The geese loved the apples. When riding on the road, one had to avoid the rotting fruit, one's tires will slide out on the mush. That's quite the theatre you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squished fruit is slippery- goose poop is slippery- ice and snow, of course- slippery. Nature is trying to kill us but seems that we are doing a pretty good job of that ourselves.

      Delete