Yesterday I posted the photos of the Little Squalicum pier- The atmospheric rivers did it no favors.It has been closed due to H20 and sink holes- The dog was right! "Don't trust this thing".
Towns have been evacuated. Four people rescued from their roof surrounded by ten feet of water. I guess this big time flood is a big deal. Most consequential flood up here since...ever.
We have not been effected- as long as we stay on dry land we are OK. I went out to shop for some things yesterday, Stopped in at thrift store , of course I did. Finding things for an alter for Thomas Brown, the cutest cat in the universe. Sarah's cat, who died from liver failure , with a nudge over the rainbow bridge from the vet.
I bought this vintage tiger, Thomas Brown was an orange tabby, a softy with a tiger spirit. It will be a good representation of Sir Thomas.
Sarah still has her other three cats and that is good, but Thomas was the star as you can see. a sweet , lovable , cuddly, funny, monkey cat.
The baby of the family. It is a tough loss for sure. Merry fucking Christmas.
Death seems to be making the rounds these days. I just received photos of the boys burying their Dad in September. These lads have been part of our family since birth. Their mother and I pregnant at the same time became fast. long lasting friends. The lads spent many hours/days here with Erik and mischief.
a couple of weeks before Stephen took off.Their Dad, Stephen, lived in West Virginia where death rules do not apply- family allowed to dig the grave, build the pine box and lower it into the earth without the financial burden of morticians. I reckon that a strong back is good to use for part of the grieving process. Sweat and toil. Good lads.
They will be here again this
Christmas for only a day. Erik will miss them as he has to work, bummer.
Christmas bells for year round noise- bought from thrift store- the hand made tin bell is my favorite.
Isn't she sweet? Likely from India I am thinking. There were loads of Asian treasures at the store today, The tiger, the bells- the stuff I left for some other worthy soul.
I did come home with two Japanese horsemen because I mostly love them OFF of horse in their U shaped, no nonsense stance.
Carrying little paintings - taking them home to Mom for Christmas, I am thinking.So , yeah, it is a weird time here for sure. Too many deaths all at once- and too much weeping sky! I am so grateful for the thrift store ( my church) it takes away the blues and a few dollars. Like any church I suppose.
I leave you with Sarah's Thomas Brown, in the garden yawning in sunshine.














It's funny. I just watched a video today that explained how death works in the last week or so of life and the woman giving the information said, "Death isn't weird at all. It's like childbirth, a cough, going to the bathroom, having an orgasm. The body knows how to do it."
ReplyDeleteI already knew that but it was good to hear. A little comforting to me.
I love the fact that those boys were digging their daddy's grave. That is how to do it.
When we were walking on the dock over the bay yesterday I thought about the 3/4 mile long dock you wrote about. You are getting far too much rain! I just thought I'd point that out.
Death is not bad for the dead guy, it is the ones left behind that are traumatized. Sucks. The boys did a good thing for their dad. He was a good, soft soul, confused , good hearted. He is so missed. I do agree that that is the way to bury your daddy.
DeleteI noticed your pretty dock and thought about what it must be like to walk in sunshine and warmth. And then a red ant and a water reptile snapped me out of that dream. Where is Utopia? It ain't here!
Sink holes and docks flooded over all-in-one day! That's pretty horrific. When are the rains predicted to stop?
ReplyDeleteSweet Thomas, he will surely be missed. Liver disease in cats is so sad. No cure.
I do like the idea of a burial in the backyard. VA law must allow it; I am not sure MA does. That said, a few years ago, I was at the Vet's with my dog in the waiting room, and a guy mentioned (out of the blue) that he buried his wife in his backyard in Belmont, MA. So, it is not unheard of in MA!
I love your thrift store purchases. Asian art and objects are great finds.
My last Asian purchase was a black lacquer cabinet with a brass closure on the doors. It also has an inlay scene on the cabinet doors. This was an estate sale purchase.
I wish we had thrift shops like the one near you. We have nothing like them.
The lads did plant their Dad in a graveyard, sparse as it is. So no backyard boos. Trump buried his wife in a golf course, so I guess anything goes...But of course he did it because it was a tax write off, he declared his golf course a "cemetery"".
DeleteThe cabinet sounds fantastic! What a grand buy! The rain has ceased for today. The rivers will take a while to subside. Building in a flood zone is not the smartest decision ever- the enticement of cheaper property is difficult to pass up- especially on a sunny day. "how beautiful and affordable and oh look, the river is right there, How lovely!"
ENOUGH RAIN!! Looks like my shipment of sun has failed to make it through, sorry, I tried. RIP Sir Thomas Brown, orange furbags are the best.
ReplyDeletewell, your shipment did arrive, for one half of a day and then got shipped elsewhere. Probably return to sender. but thanks for the effort. Thomas was the. perfect little cat boy!
DeleteI am avoiding thrist stores until after Christmas, closer to Easter or just after, that's when many people donate Christmas decorations and sometimes I find really good stuff amongst it all.
ReplyDeleteThat is a good plan- christmas stuff will be dirt cheap then. That is when Stella looks around for christmas stuff to make her do-dahs.
DeleteAw, what a loss to Sarah.
ReplyDeleteDid she dig a grave in her garden, I wonder, like that primo spot for the dad?
Death is fine for the dead//they are out of it.
When someone dies, I go around for ages like a dog missing it’s owner:
“where ARE they?”
My god, the weather!
Bring on the toys ❤️
You are right "Bring on the toys1" the only thing that will save us from despair.Death is like being stupid- Being stupid only effects the ones near by - that is death, for the left behind. I get the feeling of dog without owner- that is exactly how it feels. "gone" is not my favorite- unless it is something vile and orange...then it is a great idea.
DeleteDon't know is Thomas Brown was panted or not. Such a lovely little boy cat, I do hope that his vehicle was not just left for the bin man.
I'm sorry to heat about Sarah's cat! Orange tabbies are the best. My mom had a male orange tabby named Alfa and he was a terrific cat.
ReplyDeleteI've said it before and I'll say it again -- you have the best thrift stores up your way!
Glad the atmospheric river has done you no damage.
I can't imagine having to dig a grave. Good Lord.
Digging a grave for my loved one never struck me as something I ever wanted to do- now of course , by the time I actually got a proper six foot under hole dug I would also be dead. The sky rivers are relentless, going to get another one around Monday, the weather man reports.
DeleteThere's an male orange tabby that lives down the street with a never married batchelor. Showed up in the guy's yard one day and would not leave. Finally got him fixed because he would go off and get in fights and come back near dead. Now he's a healthy happy soul that follows my neighbor around as cats do.
ReplyDeleteYou find the best stuff at that thrift store. Glad all that water has not affected you. It sucks when the house floods.
Flood in the house, no thank you! We have had four! Thrift store is my only entertainment it would seem. You would love the thrift shops up here, good quality and affordable.
DeleteSink holes are so unpredictable and dangerous. Floods are so destructive. I've only experienced one, when I was very young.
ReplyDeletePoor Thomas - what a lovely cat he was, so cuddly.
Digging a grave is hard work, physically and emotionally. We've only dug animal graves and they were hard enough.
Thomas was the sweetest, cutest cat I ever did meet. So sad for Sarah. I understand about burying pets. I don't want to do that anymore. I would not even attempt digging anything larger than a. mouse grave now.
DeleteSink holes are frightening- one never knows! This town is built over mine shafts, they were not filled in except for a couple, filled with coal.
Oh, Thomas Brown. What a beautiful cat. I'm so very sorry for Sarah's loss -- difficult at any time of year, maybe more so when everyone is being cheery. I've had orange boys before and know how loving they are. That's a loss. Though with that flooding, cheer may be a bit on the optimistic side. Then yet another death in your sphere. That's a lot. Big hugs and well done shopping!
ReplyDeleteMy eyes are behaving badly - I read Big Bugs instead of hugs and I thought "Oh no, ' Jeanie is losing her mind". Ginger cats are cool, no doubt, except for Mary Moon's cat...she is not cool.
DeleteChristmas this year will most certainly not be the best for so many folks. I hope that they are all on the "nice" list and Santa brings them what they need. The happiest Christmas present would be for trump to go meet his maker...