My Blog List

Saturday, December 27, 2025

goodbye Krimbo, what's next?


WOW- look what happened today!  someone must have paid the light bill because there it is! 

It will be a quick glimpse of the promise of lighter days. Clouds moving in , getting darker already - right on target 3:00 pm.  The black squirrel paid a visit. I had to be very fast taking his photo , he moves like a ninja on meth.

Time to pack up Christmas I guess. Santa is tired and ready to go back into the christmas closet for next year. Too bad, the christmas spirit  finally hit me and  I want to send cards and be jolly and drunk ..bad timing.  I will forego all of that, put things away and grumble through the month of January. Must get an eye jab on the 30th. Ewwww. Nothing else is planned. 

The snowberries are steadily dropping- the roses are wilting, the boughs are also giving up. 


That was that. Dennis rarely goes to the thrift store but thinks it is fun when he does go, my birthday presents are from there and I  am most pleased, mostly because he shopped at the thrift store and because he finally knows me!

He bought   this West African ,vintage musician with Kora. I love it!!! This present is so unlike Mr. Tech guy. Usually I get a gadget or a device that has no soul. 

 


At the moment he is  standing  by Mary , Full of Grace...the one I bought at Janny's estate sale. The one from France that is so eloquently carved. The one that I was going to give back to Fritz but have changed my mind.  She is happier here. Anyway the musician  really does look at home . Bravo , Dennis!

Also he bought  for me, vintage Japanese fan - fragile- rests easily on the hutch knobs. Beauty! It must be stronger than it looks to be so old and so intact. 

Then a knock on the door- 

Friends passing through dropped by for a hug and a a hello goodbye. I hope to catch up with them another time. They live in San Francisco so the likely hood of bumping into them  is nill. We will make an effort , possibly at the end of summer.  IF everyone is still kicking. Precarious these days. Friend said that she recently went for a physical and they found ghost bones- osteoporosis- the worst they have ever seen- what is holding her up must be sheer will.  That is not the best news of the day. She has always been rail thin. Seems to be the thing with very thin women- plus childbearing, plus tobacco, plus a diet of vegetables and rice, it all catches up in one's 70's , I guess, and then it is a scramble just to maintain  being upright.  Please do not break a hip, I pleaded. 


 


 My health is pretty great except for the eye jabs , being blind is an adjustment, not a health threat, just  damned  degeneration of the back of my eye. Good thing I have an extra! I put it in a geode . Pretty sure it is  as good as any other good luck charm. 

 

 Good bye Krimbo- see you next year.  When I will buy too many christmas crackers again and have a jolly after party time pulling them all in the early morning after.. Simple joys.  

 


 

19 comments:

  1. The Musician is beautiful and your little orphans are always so nicely dressed. I love the hutch that holds the new fan, I need something with doors I can close to keep the dust of my knick-knacks. I hope your friend with the ghost bones stays safe, her muscles must be quite strong to be holding her together. I hope 2026 is kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The injections that she is getting to protect what is left of her bones take months to actually make a difference so she can not CAN NOT fall or twist wrong and break a bone! Scary prospect as she lives in a place that is not paved smoothly...Natural stone walk ways. yikes! I suggested a bubble wrap suit for the next eight to twelve months ...
      Thanks for the wish- i wish the same for you down under in the sunshine and relative sanity! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Loved seeing these beautiful (thrifted) decorations. And I spied some raku ware pottery above one of your photos. I hope you share more of it sometime! I forgot my osteoporosis pill last week, so took it today finally. I agree that muscles are what keep me upright, so I try to be good to them...and very very cautious to not fall. We all should heed that! Love your extra eye, and I'm sure it will bring many insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raku that you spotted are some that Erik did-
      The one that looks like a spider web, is just that- He bought it from a potter who goes out in the early morning with her little un-fired pots and collects spider webs on them. Fires them and Voila! Spider web for as long as the pot lasts! Falls happen- sometimes just out of the blue...the wind could blow my friend over- It is concerning!! If there is a broken bone there will be no healing from that. Lace bones. Her's are so fragile that pills will not help , she has to have injections once a month to start with and then maybe pills. Scary days!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it FUCKING AMAZING when these men finally have a glimmer of who we are? I love it. I mean, my chain saw is an excellent gift but honestly, the garden sink is truly I-see-you-love.
    You really do Christmas right. I'm sure I've said this before but it's true.
    It is good to have hefty bones. I am glad of mine. And it is NOT good to not be able to see, especially when you have the eyes and soul of an artist which is you. Somehow you still manage to see 99% more than I do. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chain saw is a good thing to have- hacksaws just don['t quite cut it- haha I made a pun. there have been times when I have needed a chain saw- not often but when you need one you need one! Yay for good bones- "A big boned girl" - weight bearing is a life saver! What a drag to have been thin all your life and then your bones tell you that that was wrong-" eff you, we are going to crumble now...." Also the vanity of weight loss surgery , removing the only organ that can absorb calcium- GEEZ! Women die for societies demands of looking a certain way, I guess it has always been thus.

      Delete
    2. I have a couple of $5 pruning saws that work very well for small tree branches.

      Delete
  4. Love the musician and goes so perfectly with the art behind him. Good for Dennis. I don't think Marc ever knows me. The year he bought me a small bottle of perfume, me the woman he lives with that does not wear makeup or use cologne or perfume, who buys unscented everything, who does not use any kind of scented air freshener, and it wasn't even a pleasant scent, stinky; I was like, don't even bother dude. I'll just buy my own present from now on.
    The orphans look ready for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Marc, asleep at the wheel...As aware as a rock! PERFUME- ick- the worst gift ever! I am with you on that one! I like ZUM mist, lavender/cedar. and that is about it! Lemon grass is Ok too. Maybe Marc thinks that you are stinky? If that is the case i would tell him to get his nose fixed!

      Delete
  5. In the midst of cold and short days, glorious sunshine, even for a little while is cheerful and encouraging. Blue skies and sunshine...wonderful. The cute squirrel is looking straight into your camera. Nice capture!
    I love the presents Dennis selected especially for you. He knows you well.
    A fall can be devastating so you friend will have to be very cautious. My friend Robin fell on her paved driveway on Christmas day. It was a patch of invisible black ice. She spent the day in the ER and then surgery to repair a badly broken wrist. Robin says...at least it is not a broken hip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little flash of sunlight was as refreshing as a cool dip in the sea on a blazing hot day!! it did not last but was enough . The little black squirrels look very rat like and they scamper so quickly it is difficult to observe them. They are not fluffy cute, or chubby cute - stealth! They are more wild and like to fight.
      Oh dear, falling on back ice is certainly a thing- I have done that a few times. Nothing broken. WOW -I feel so sorry for Robin!

      Delete
  6. I remember them as being refreed to as "sunbreaks" from my time on the west side. "Showers & sunbreaks" was the phrase the weatherheads used. I do like the musician and the raku pottery, artist folk never cease to amaze me with their gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunbreak- doesn't last long but just long enough to make suicide less attractive...Down to 33 degrees right now. Huddled in an icelandic wool blanket. It does the job!

      Delete
  7. You are fortunate to have lead a life that fostered bones. I think I have not. We'll find out Monday in January. The bone drugs creep me out a lot, there are weird side effects. Your Christmas decor is just lovely, you do such a good job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are side effect to be sure- but whatchgonnado? I did not drink milk as a child- no calcium unless it was in the dirt I ate- I was a scrawny kid during the time of bone development so I don't think i did well- It just has not yet caught up with me I reckon. Waiting for the 80's when it all falls down, they say...Monday in January - we will make it a lucky day- OK?

      Delete
    2. I also did not drink milk as a child unless it was flavoured in milkshakes, but we did eat a LOT of cabbage which was fortunate as cabbage contains more calcium than milk and my bones are good and strong with no deterioration at all, no height loss either. I am 73 and still eat a lot of cabbage.

      Delete
    3. cabbage! Good to know!! I went to a friend''s house for dinner while in Melbourne - she made pumpkin stuffed with cabbage! It was delicious, a double whammy of "good for you".

      Delete
  8. I've had to take calcium all my adult life to keep leg cramps at bay but after menopause, without eostrogen we can't absorb the stuff anyway so bones are gonna deteriorate. i just hope they started from the densest possible before stuff starts leaching away from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bones go and then we are just a bag of meat, unable to do the heavy lifting. so it goes. There goes the chassis- if something else does not bugger us first! I am wondering if Phyto-soy is helpful after menopause.

      Delete