My Blog List

Monday, December 1, 2025

darkness has befallen us

 

Two O'clock in the afternoon and we need a flash light to make our way through the house. Bloody hell- it is dark!
this morning the line up waiting for  something warm to eat.
Frosty
It did not get quite so dark until afternoon. A nap would be welcomed... I drank a cuppa instead, and that is not working .  My eyes are worse today, not  because of the lack of light but because I ate mashed potatoes and wheat bread- Always a mistake as they are inflammatory things and my eyes are canaries in the mine.

Penetratingly cold today .  This is winter at its best?

Erik sent a photo of a pizza he was given, made especially for him. He delivers free pastries  to the little pizza shop staffed by trans youth, usually he trades pastries for a slice, but they know him now and love him dearly. It is endearing that there is a community of people surrounding our Erik who all look out for one another. 

Speaking of caring for one another, My neighbor sent this link to me this morning. Pretty sorry damned country, this.

HERE 

Yesterday I visited a friend who has just had a second knee replaced. We discussed care for the elderly and decided that it would be wiser to have someone go down to Railroad Ave and score fentanyl- adios. y'all.. 

On that dark note on a dark day in a dark country I wish you all well- I am off to Nap,  my squishy bed under  two down comforters and a hot water bottle. sounds like the best option.  Useless day. 

How dark is it?

 

SOOOoooo dark!


 

 

20 comments:

  1. Sooooo, The Big Dark has descended on the west side, sorry to hear that, I really used to hate that. Courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation is a good idea during this darkness, the clammy fierce chill to the bone...Portugal sounds inviting doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. The Big Dark nearly did us in. Too dark. I hope it will clear soon and the sky will return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just making it through the PNW winter these days is challenging- Easy to get fed up with it especially as wood fires in the fre place are no longer aloud. wood Fire is the only thing that warms and soothes. I am disliking this area right now.

      Delete
  3. Winter darkness, cold and lack of sunshine are hard. To counter this, I put lots of LED lights on when I enter a room. When I rise in the morning, the first thing I do is turn on the Christmas tree lights. The lights help immensely.
    Caregiving in large institutions is big business and the institutions doing this work are very profitable. The care is mediocre, at best. Staffing shortages are common, and minimum wage to aids is the norm with RN's and MD's making good money but spread thin, which impacts quality of care.
    My late uncle swore by having an individual, personal care fund to cover expenses of ageing in place, at home. He had Medicare and BC/BS medical insurance plus his own self-funded account for home care.
    He intended to age in place, with help as needed. Hiring aids and RN's to provide care in the home works very well. As his closest relative, I oversaw this process and can attest to the fact it is superior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only way to go, your uncles plan worked out well. Finding care is a most difficult search- people are not keen to live with an old person, taking care of their ever demanding needs. Plus there are trust issues as well as adjustment to having strangers in the house. Good ones are so hard to find and hire. Such a dilemma. But, whatever can be done to stay in the home must be done!
      I agree about lights on dark days, I must turn them all on and spritz the place with summer fragrance!!

      Delete
  4. Sorry country indeed! I like the sound of your two down comforters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so cosy! I think that sleeping away the winter is the best idea!

      Delete
  5. Oh my, dreaming of sunshine! And we’ve still got February ahead (at least for me that’s when I finally succumb to the dreariness!) You’ve just reminded me I have a new heating pad. Today is damp and very cold here, while up north there’s snow falling. Not at all my favorite (the damp I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a new heating pad- essential ! I wouldn't mind snow if the day was bright, I say that but do I mean it.? Dry snow, Dry cold, is do-able. I wish dryness for you!

      Delete
  6. We do live on different planets. We are having a day with a sky like pewter and it has been drizzling for hours for which we are all so grateful. But it is never as daytime dark as Washington in the winter. Also, it is not cold here. It will be cooler tomorrow. I would never be able to fight my way out of the darkness there, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you are correct, Mary! The long dark clammy frigid winters get the best of us. Snowbirds are smart birds! only four months to go, and three more years of orangebumhole PIGGY- will we make it, I think we will...If not, railroad avenue will still be an option...

      Delete
  7. I can barely tolerate cold overcast wet days here, like yesterday. But today is sunny. I could never live there, the big Dark. Nope nope nope.

    Elder healthcare in the country is horrible. It's why I live like I do, proactive about my health and ability to function as much as is within my means. I want to be one of those people who are active and capable until one day they decide they are done and go to bed and die. Barring something catastrophic out of my control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is everyone's hope I am sure- but reality is that surprises occur...or genetics , whatever, no one gets out of old age comfortably. I have had friends who bike everywhere, do yoga, don[t smoke or drink or chew...Exemplary lives healthwise- YET- tilt! and they are in the same pickle as the one who didn't give a rat's ass...

      Delete
  8. Fireplaces, 'live' flame, the smell and sound as well as the heat, seem to me to be the only answer and so many homes these days have to be built without (clean air and all that). Your big dark will be climbing up into light again in 3 or 4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind big industry- lets take wood fire away from folks living under clouds...Silly, you are correct, the live fire is the only thing for this climate in winter.

      Delete
  9. Dark days like that bring me down. But that pizza! With the chocolate chip muffin drawing and sweet missive - all is bright! You raised a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he is a good lad. heart of gold, that kid.
      Darkness does depress! All ALL of the lights have been turned on- still dark.

      Delete
  10. So sweet that they sent over a pizza!

    Have you tried cauliflower mash? We make it all the time and it's sooooooo soooooo goood.

    ReplyDelete