My Blog List

Wednesday, December 17, 2025

Charlie the dog, Arts and missions.

Yesterday Charlie died. He stayed  with me  for about ten days/ two weeks , one year when his family, Flora's aunt, went to England. Charlie had  health compromises all of his doggie years. Epileptic, managed by daily doses of whatever- plus he had a very special diet of expensive fresh balanced patties.  He lived a long time for a pooch , was so well loved/ cared for. A gem of a dog. He took me on some grand walks , slept with me and was just the sweetest. 

We all loved him fiercely . 


 Age four, Flora is coming to terms with the fact that  everyone eventually dies, and that distresses her. 

"If everyone dies, there will be no people left!- will Grandma and granny die?" 

"Yes," said Emily," but every time someone dies a baby is born," That seemed to take the edge off .  

 "we all take turns being here, and around and around we go on the monkey wheel." A do-able concept for a tiny girl's understanding.

I remember the very moment that my cousin told me that the sun would  become a red giant and consume the solar system, including the earth and MY MOM! I cried for days, I  never got over it- I clung to my mom for the rest of my childhood!  I was Four. 

My cousin failed to tell me that  the sun swallowing everything in a  blast  of fire would be 5 billion years   away. 

 Four years old is a special year on this planet as a little human- observations are keen, realizations profound - processing it all can be overwhelming. 

-0-

Yesterday I dropped into Allied arts Christmas market to see if there were any vendors there that I loved.  Trends seem to be natural  - dried flowers, and loads of wooden ornaments and bowls/spoons/ spatulas... All hand carved- whittled- sanded and polished.  Shells, paper, glass, pottery. Lovely things. Plastic and glitter NOPE.

Re-cycled wool.
re-cycled hair bands decorated with silk flowers and tiny antlers.
The painting behind the musicians.
Wooden tree that looks like maybe the artist made a mistake with the jig saw and decided to make it work anyway.  Success! 
My favorite  booth is this one, Artist  uses scrap wood to paint  on.  Very cool work! I bought a few things. Soup kits , hot pepper  jam and toffee for Erik's pantry. Ornaments for myself and a tiny  hand knit Christmas jumper for  lucky orphan. 

Crow on  weathered fence wood. 

A friend whom I have not seen in ages was handing out baskets to shoppers- We chatted for a very long time, I bought Beautiful scallop shells decorated very nicely,  from her booth -I bought three. Rabbit is the best!



Rain began  pelting down, pounding the parking lot  into a lake - I had to get home. It was only 3:00 in the afternoon but the street lights were on  already - the sky  darkening.  I had intended to go out to Home Goods to get white or red cloth napkins- That has been my mission for days but I never seem to get there.  First it was the poo attack and then the darkness descending- Home Goods is too far away to not just make it the event of the day. No stopping for anything else.

Coming home  down the hill, a bit of random  sparkle to cheer us up. Not going overboard with decor this year.  Taken through the windshield in between wiper swishes.


I came home to Fresca's calendar. Every month is fabulous with the Girlettes living life in  plastic perfection,  and Fresca's tile cut  print - flaming pine cone guts! So wonderful, it will be framed for sure, I love it! I love how she used tile cut, ink as well as paint . Gorgeous. 

Today's weather acts like nothing ever happened. The sky is blue, There is no curtain of rain. It is very nice-  fickle as a preteen child. Think I will go out to Home Goods....will I actually make it this time?  Bird is doubtful. 


 


 

 
 

28 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful eye but my favorite thing in this post is perhaps also yours, the tile cut print—the colors, the movement, I love it too. But so many treasures you found. Home Goods can wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pine cone is fabulous isn't it? Stunning little art piece with flame- looks like, You are right, getting napkins can wait when there is art to be appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Also I’m sorry about the beloved pet dying. Losing such a companion is a heartbreak some don’t fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how it goes- Your daughter's little poochie Moochie darling dog...it is sad but as Flora understands it - when a dog dies - a puppy is born...

      Delete
  3. Love the shells and the flaming pine cone structure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you show monthly pictures of the girlettes calendar?
    I love all the things you saw at the market, the painted wood blocks are awesome! And the painted scallop shells too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much this year- new artists changing things up a bit. Prices are good especially since the artists only get a fraction . Allied Arts takes a hunk! That is a good idea to post the Girlettes calendar every month. They are utterly delightful.

      Delete
  5. You have such an eye for the art, the creative and the fun things around. Your posts are uplifting even when you bemoan the state of the nation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It's A Beautiful Life"...in spite of the horror- Art does make it better and uplifting. That's what we reckon.

      Delete
  6. Y'all are so much classier than we are. Our decorated scallop shells are always glittered and nothing like the ones you bought. Let us say- well, ours are tacky. All of your photos are beautiful. You have such an eye, which I know sounds ironic but you do.
    i am so sorry about little Charlie. What a loved life he had. And yes, four years old is such a rich age. Understanding becomes so important, and often so hard. The realities of life have begun to tap the littles on the shoulder. Flora, being a sensitive and wise child, is in the middle of all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ironic eye! We should go into business with that one! I love german glass glitter- went hog wild with it last year , but after getting my fill I have not made a single thing this year. Glass glitter will cut a bitch! Florida has a gift for for kitsch- art in it's own right. Different geology, different atmosphere, different folk. It's all good.
      Four years old and suddenly they are awake- memories are formed that are hard wired- We all remember being four! Brain kicking in, sort of.

      Delete
  7. So sorry about Charlie.

    I laughed at your story about the sun consuming YOUR MOM! I had a very similar fear when I was told about the sun's inevitable explosion at about that age, even though I was also told it would happen millions (or billions?) of years in the future. When you're little you don't really know what that means!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age four- no idea what time means- what is a billion anyway? I would hide from the sun after that...I would deny the sun god! funny that you had the same experience at age four!

      Delete
  8. That is a great store, we just do not have anything like that here in the desert. So long Charlie, you were clearly another special critter that meant the world to your people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well than, there is your oportunity to creat an Artists shop there in the desert... reeady for another career? Art up here is exceptional- there is really no excuse to give tacky presents to anyone. Or, worse, a vacuum cleaner, a blender or a toaster!

      Delete
  9. "we all take turns being here“
    That’s perfect for this four (+ sixty) year old too.

    I love being among your art round-up. My print is improved by the presence of your riders. 😄

    Orphans in hand knit sweaters and socks = it IS a wonderful life.
    Sort some have to leave so soon…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking turns, waiting in the queue...around and around we go. I put the pine cone flame in a a frame this morning , not sure about the frame- It is from Italy ao has that halo vibe. I think the print needs a bigger frame.

      Delete
  10. Sweet doggie Charlie will surely be missed but fondly remembered. This loss is hard. Our dogs are family.
    Flora expresses herself thoughts and feelings very well and she thinks and cares deeply about everyone she holds close. She is a bright star. Kim gave her a perfect explanation. And what will Flora ask next?
    Your shops offer lots of very artistic custom-made gifts. I love unique hand-crafted items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie was an easy going little guy- he could walk like a champion! We covered some territory! Seizures were not fun- poor guy. I am amazed that he lived so long, really. Well loved. Makes all the difference.
      Flora, baby girl, is at the top of her game at age four! A brighter child has never been such as she!!!

      Delete
  11. You always get the best things. Thanks for the tour of the show. I love it all but especially the last, the fluff looking out of the birdhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love the little bird in the block. And I love that all of her birds are hand painted so well on scraps of wood. Ticks all of the boxes!

      Delete
  12. "We all take turns being here." I'm going to remember that. It's a good way to explain, not only to a child, but a reminder to us all. That's a fantastic arts show.I like the wonky wooden tree. Actually, I loved a lot of the things there. You have some good artists in your region. Finally, very sad about Charlie. He looks like he was a happy dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allied Arts was a good market this year- though the organization takes a lions share- Artists have to buy a membership, get business license, pay taxes on what they sell, give 30% to Allied arts PLUS rent their booth space! They come a way with a small fraction. Not worht it I say- Plus they have to be their own security ...Bummer.

      Delete
  13. I do envy you the thrift stores, and the art available. Tucson has a lot of cheap crap made in China masquerading as Mexican crafts. I am so sorry Charlie is gone, he was a wonder dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area is packed with artists, only a few make a living at it. the Christmas fairs and markets are the only outlet for them and they all are crammed into the same week end! Crazy!

      Delete