My Blog List

Wednesday, December 10, 2025

Bought Po and Lala and got a haircut

Snoqualmie Falls as seen in the intro of Twin Peaks. 268 foot drop - providing hydroelectric power since 1899.  East of Seattle, beautiful area- today I would not want to be there. The river is plump with  the  rain that won't stop and the falls are nearly drowning in its  own upsurging spray-The bottom of the fall completely obscured  by the churning power . (taken from the news on you tube)

Rain has just become more confident, pretty pleased with its work so far- 13 roads are closed today, people from three entire communities are asked to vacate to higher ground. - it is dark and thick and unappealing out there.I had an appointment to get a haircut that I could not miss- out I went into the solid sheets of rain, swimming against the current as I rolled slowly  into town watching out  for puddles that could be surprisingly deep, treacherous. You could drive or step into a "puddle" and never be seen again!

Got a pretty good haircut , chatted  with the excellent hair cutter- her husband works for Toyota- they had to move all of the cars from the lot and showroom last night because FLOOD! anyway. glad I have a few inches less of my hair. My hair tried to choke Maddy to death  at thanksgiving as she gave me a hug and inhaled- cob web hair nearly killed my girl. Poor Maddy!  Do NOT hug this granny!

Two teletubbies from the thrift store. Po and Lala, my faves. I bought them because they are gay. I am not a fan of the show , even if I was a two year old, I think I would not like it much, BUT I admire their production. Live people in   flannel tubby suits, real human voices, and the set is  truly remarkable! They used a real rabbit, too, so Kudos to the originals. 

Trudy sent photos of the Little  Sqalicum pier where she tries to walk the dog- dog reluctant to walk on dock because it freaks her out. The walkway is slatted so water can escape . Dog sees danger in that.  It is 3/4 of a mile long out into the sound for no reason at all.  I will go with her someday- when the sun returns.


She also sent  a photo of the best sympathy card that she received from a friend- I mention that her husband died recently, didn't I. I am still stunned by this  unwelcomed news. DAMN. But there you go ....NEXT?

I am not good with death news- complex thoughts and emotions bungle any appropriate response, if there is one (?) I am not good with death.

Death is so effing weird! 
 

14 comments:

  1. I hear you on death. I'm not good with that news either and I've had more than I'd like of it this year. That is a great card except.... maybe NOT for sympathy? Not sure where but I love it! Love the haircut and was wondering if you were in the rain zone. I guess so! I remember seeing the first preview reel of Teletubbies at a PBS conference zillions of years ago (they had very cool swag -- these battery lights you waved. I can't describe but I held onto that for a long time!). We just sat there in kind of dumb silence never imagining it would be the hit it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a completely cringy show. the teletubbies were...odd. The replays of their television tummies playing the clips more than once was questionable. Children are not idiots. We are not in the flood zone...not yet.

      Delete
  2. I have that very Po hanging up at work!

    Your hair is gorgeous. I hear your complaints about its texture, but it *looks* angelic 🥰

    Ha, ha—that card!
    Reminds me of a Christmas after my mother had taken her life and a friend’s younger brother had died of cancer – – the friend told me she saw cards that read “merry fucking Christmas” – –
    she was tempted but didn’t buy them.
    I said I would’ve loved to receive one, and we laughed.
    Death is weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry fucking Christmas is great! My si=entiments for sure. Though, nnow that I quit taking things so seriously , everything is a lark- and as Mr. Nature says "It Don't Mean shit".

      Delete
  3. I don't know, I don't think death is any weirder than birth, maybe less so. Maybe they are just the same but seen from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete

  4. When my friend Sue died a most remarkably calm, quiet, and peaceful death, surrounded by love, it struck me how much death is like birth, as Ellen says. In birth, someone is coming from there to here, in death, someone is going from here to there. One minute x number of people in a room, next minute x-1 and with birth, the opposite.
    Having said that, it is indeed odd, seen from both perspectives as the curtain which mostly keeps here and there separated, parts for a slender second.
    I do love your hair. I know nothing about Teletubbies. Also? That is way too much rain. Tell your rain gods out there I said so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. three atmospheric rivers is a lot of water to deal with. Our drainage is good though the sidewalk looks like a creek. running down to the fish drain. This area does need rain so - get what you can and be grateful, right?
      Birth is a happy magical lovely event, death is the opposite. Death sucks. What ever is in-between is what we make of it. Choices are made. Life on this planet for humans is so so so brief.

      Delete
  5. Thought of y'all last evening when we heard of the effects of the atmospheric river, just horrific. The Big Dark brought his fire hose. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All well here- Rain but no flood on our little bit of high ground. Good news, it is a little after 4:00 and there is still a bit of light in the sky!

      Delete
  6. Any kind of flooding can be so devastating. Hopefully, everybody gets out of harm's way.
    You look fabulous with your new haircut. Your stylist does a great cut.
    I love the pier going to nowhere. It must make a glorious walk on a sunny day.
    Death is full of unknowns. The how, when, where can be anything.
    Birth is a joyous event.
    A friend inscribed his own gravestone: And now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one has been killed yet- I think folks are being smart about traveling iffy roads. We have had practice. As for death- it is a bugger- no getting around it. Thank you for the compliment, she did a good cut, my hair is nearly impossible to reason with!

      Delete
  7. I love the card about throwing the bouquet. That person had quite the sense of the absurd. Glad you are not flooding. We saw a photo of Sumas underwater today, seriously bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the usual flood zone places have had too much water. Scary when the rivers rise so high and so aggressively. A lot of stuff will be ruined- moldy houses. ICK. The rain let up today but it is back this evening, so some folks will have sleepless night.

      Delete