Yesterday , for about 20 minutes, the sun scooted along the horizon, like a searchlight. We noticed it like one might notice the second coming- AWE and disbelief. a miracle- there must be deevine something somewhere for this to occur! Glorious golden light!
It lasted just long enough to discourage me packing my bags and getting the hell out of here...memory is a tricky thing. We are all so "in the moment". Summer will return, remember? Seasons remembered during another season seem like a dream.
Memories of past Christmases , the wonder and shine of it all, resurface. Pagan seasonal changes and celebrations of nature are foremost in my thoughts at this time of year . Mother nature is a more worthy force to respect and honor. Yet the memories of contrived "reason for the season" flood back, I am a child full of wonder and magic. again. This photo was the first Santa that I went to see - out on the prairie in sub zero weather, wearing the coat my mother made for me. Santa smelled of cigarette smoke , dirt and whiskey. He gave me a candy cane and my friend threw a snowball at him just to see if he really was jolly. He wasn't- he was just some old dude from a ranch somewhere who got this christmas gig for a dollar, probably.
The look of incredulity and terror from a five year old. (fists clenched, ready to bolt or give false Santa a punch in the face)
I retrieved christmas shite from a box today - easy stuff, mostly paper, store-able in flat packets. This is my paper tree with paper birds on it. It stores in a flat envelope when dismantled.
On the mantel are sticky taped English snowmen on a string- the ever present flamingo light shining hot pink throughout the room. I will add more lights to this exquisite decor to be sure , just because the phenomena of sunshine will not occur again any time soon, so sayeth the almighty weather man.The Santa that I purchased from the thrift store sits on top of the mantel, watching -judging - naughty or nice.
After all of that exhausting decorating...I had to take a breather- a Cup of tea, a stroopwafel , and a quick look at instagram. Some mighty impressive cleverness , but some - a scrolling waste of time. Wait a minute- is time ever really wasted? I don't think it is. We are all just doing time on this planet in this brief life- spent time is time spent, either in jail or in the jail of one's ( or society's) own construct.There is an island in nowhere Norway , way up north , where time does not exist- no clocks , no schedules, no constraints on the body's natural mechanism. Eat when hungry, sleep when tired, each body with its own metronome. The summers are daylight , the winters are darkness . The body adjusts. Or so they claim ...one could mow their lawn at 4::00am. if so inclined , not beholden to the clock.
Sounds great! But then the Guardian did a bit of research- and , like finding no actual bugs in Bob Marleys dreads, The tale was a ruse , a lie, to entice folks to go there , spend their tourist cash and make the island a bit wealthier. IF some exceptional tale is a human contrivance there is ,predictably, capital involved. Profit$$$ to be made. Though no money was made from the ruse of Bob Marley's dreads- that was just racist BS.
One can count on stroopwafel and tea, though, there is that! It is legit! The wind is scheduled to take down trees and power lines today. We are not terribly effected here in this little pocket on the cul de sac. The topography protects us.
Until, of course, the subduction zone shifts , sandwiched in between two active volcanoes, this area will be toast. We will all die of fire in the water over our heads, so they say..."they" are studying the demise of glaciers and ice on the planet , watching it change at such a rate the difference is noticeable moment to moment ! Going fast, creating rapid heavy pressure ,which leads to volcanic activity and earth shakes...Whoopee, what a ride!
The orange claimant that climate change is a democrat's hoax , drill baby drill, kill for more oil- has come to bite us all - already on its way like a run away train. Though the orange sphincter will miss the main event, his own body rejecting him because he is just too toxic ..thanks to the gods of justice and retribution! ( as if)
Light on the horizon, over the bay.. a brief few minutes. Misty and very pretty.
Travel well, comrades.








Oh, that beautiful five-year old wearing the coat her mama made her.
ReplyDeleteYou really did look terrified, although afraid to show it, it seems to me. One cannot offend Santa and expect any presents and also, you were probably too disturbed by the "reality" of this very un-Santa like person.
If I lived where you live, I would be long dead. I have neither the inner light or the inner fortitude to survive so much darkness. Thank goodness for tea and stroopwafel.
Anti depressants sell well up here as you can imagine! Glad you don't live here because then you would be dead and I would just hate that! This weather is making me cross! I should be used to it but every winter is an adjustment- not so skilled at adjusting any more.
DeleteSanta came to our house one time in a sleigh pulled by a jeep- I hid in my room and cried, he scared me so much! I knew that they were trying to fool me...the REAL Santa was clean and fluffy and smelled good! Adults were dumb.
Never heard of a stroopwafel...but it does look delicious. I love your paper tree with the birds. You've obviously cared for it. At my house everything would be bent and creased.
ReplyDeleteThe paper tree probably will last one more season- its branches are kind of fragile from too much effort getting it to look less flat. You would like stroopwafel- they are not too sweet, just satisfying enough with a cup of tea to get one through the cold dark afternoon.
DeleteI think that was the real Santa.
ReplyDeleteOh my god, you could be right! that is frightening! Poor Santa had a rough go somewhere along the line!
DeleteYour paper tree with birds is wonderful and the string of lighted snowmen are fabulous. Nice mantel!
ReplyDeleteMany years ago, decorated a Norfolk Island pine tree with feathered birds. No ornaments, just birds, tiny white lights and a star atop. I must search my storeroom for the birds.
You are not convinced by that Santa. Meeting him was clearly not a jolly and bright experience. Still, you are adorable in your nicely tailored coat and beautiful blonde curls.
It's cold here too, 20's-30 degrees. The sun appeared but the ice and snow remain.
The last 5 years our winters were very mild with lots of sunshine and little to no snow/ice. The deep freeze this winter is a wake-up call and return to typical MA winter.
well, if winter does not allow complaints in a good honest way, what good is it. All about perspective I suppose. Climate change-" lets give them a winter they will be so miserable trodding through, they will appreciate me more in the too hot summer"...A pine tree with feathered birds sounds super! I would love that tree!
DeleteI love your Christmas decorations -- the paper tree, the snowmen. It all makes me smile. I'm amazed you can remember Santa being smelly! But it doesn't surprise me, either. Ah, that was back in the day! I need a stroopwaffle.
ReplyDeletesmells are memorable if you think about it- the smell of the classroom, the smell of too many children and crayons. Takes me right back to being in first grade when I scissored my hand with my first pair of sharp scissors! Smells do that, you know.
DeleteThese are cute.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.freshcutpaper.com/
The weather forecast has the weather people on twitter all up in their hair with anticipation. The citizens in the path, not so much.
Same company where I got this paper tree a few years ago- They make good stuff! This bird tree is no longer available but the toy one is, you know, in case you NEED one!! The weather folks are going nuts- not quite sure but reporting that they are. The wind never did pan out today- nary a tree fallen! I totally get why you two brave the long journey on the road to get some vitamin D and dry air!! DANG where is utopia? When you figure it out , please let me know.
DeleteThe advent behind your mug looks like the Santas are coming to enjoy your cup of tea.
ReplyDeleteStroopwafel? off to google...
haha, yes they do!
Deleteoh for a stroopwaffel out here. You have reawakened a desire for something rather long forgotten.
ReplyDeletestroopwafel, the best mid day snack there is! Not too sweet and just the right size to last through a generous cuppa!
DeleteI think I would have been terrified of that Santa too. Grungy looking smelly Santa. I think Santas terrify more often than not and pushy parents insisting their terrified child sit on his lap! Trauma for life. I live your paper bird tree. More apt for spring decoration than christmas. Very moody last picture. I might try to paint it.
ReplyDeleteFalse Santa's are incredibly frightening. I never lose my urge to pull their beards. The moody photo would love to be painted- so misty and wintry. You are the gal for the job.
DeleteAllison stole my comment! Gotta love Fresh Cut Paper, they have some really cool stuff. Workin' on sending you some of our abundant sunshine, let me know how it's working.
ReplyDeleteIT WORKED!! Today was actually SUNNY! - I even went out to shop at Trader Joe's. Thank you!
DeleteJust a little bit of sunshine does a body good!
ReplyDeleteI think it's impossible for humans to live without the concept of time, though. It's just our nature to impose a schedule on the day, to create and duplicate a pattern. Having said that, I'd mow my lawn at 4 a.m. if I were so inclined.
I wonder- if a person were placed in darkness 24/7 would a schedule happen? I don't want to try it , mind you, just wondering.
Delete