My Blog List

Tuesday, November 25, 2025

thankful, new sheets, table of gourds

Kim holding what Flora made at school today...pretty sure that the teacher "helped" with the project of being thankful... Flora has four year old developmental writing skills, which is to say, scribble. They are all going to Seattle  for Thanksgiving, otherwise they would be here. Anyway, Emily and I thought that Flora would have been more grateful for Bluey and candy - I think she got a nudge from. teacher.  

Dinner has been narrowed down to 14, I think. I made stuff today and put the table together. Washed new sheets for Erik . They are incredibly soft Turkish cotton flannel.  Such a DEAL from the Homestore! I also bought new place mats , napkins and table cloths for loooooooong table-  All in all very little cash was parted with . It is a great store at the moment, how long it will last is anyone's  guess, but I won't need anything ever again. Family will be  scattering. Big dinners- a thing that just will be no more, I reckon. I say "poo".

 How many orphans can sleep on the new pillow? That was the contest this evening. 


 

Tomorrow the turkey will be prepared, the apples and walnuts will be chopped, and that is that.  

Erik will be driving up after work, six hour drive- sleep, eat thanksgiving dinner , sleep and leave the next morning in time to go to work, six hour drive back. I hope that holiday traffic is not hell. Full of tryptophan  , staying alert on the road could be challenging. I am so excited to see him- it has been ages! 

There are gourds on the table instead of flowers, it is their time to shine. 



fingers crossed the frozen brick of a bird thaws overnight. If not, I will just toss it in the bath with me until it snaps out of it. It will be like bathing with a dead baby, I am afraid...maybe i will come up with a better plan.  

Tomorrow we will  go over to Peter's to witness his daughter's signature on something that one must do  when one's father dies. We won't linger, there is still cleaning to be done, shoving things into bags and tossing them  under the stairs. "my , how tidy your house is, Linda Sue. You are adulting well." 

The weather is cooperating, warm and rainy.  Street lights come on at four in the afternoon.  And so the long sleepy winter drags on like a giant , wet , dark , slow  slug. This is just the beginning, by March we are all  felling close to suicidal- every time.  One might think we would be used to it by now. 


 A dark house in a dark area of the world, why paint your house so dismally? I guess because it matches the climate? There has been a trend of painting houses charcoal and black and whatever this color is. 

Cute house across the street from Jesus's House. Dark as night, trendy!

 


 

23 comments:

  1. I hope that house is not as dark on the inside. The gourds are interesting to look at. The orphans remind me of that song, "there were ten in the bed..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that house was painted professionally and that the colors, rather LACK of, might look smart in the sunshine (?) Not my favorite....Gourds are cool, they grow in such interesting designs and last a lot longer than flowers! If allowed to dry out completely they last longer than a human.

      Delete
    2. Someone told me that those dark colors were the ones which were used in the days these old houses were built. How true that is- Weiss ich night. JanF

      Delete
    3. Autospell changed "c" to " g"!

      Delete
  2. I love your gourds and nuts. That looks terrific. And your little red girl. One of yours, I suspect. Soon I'll be getting my Linda Sue ornaments out and I can't wait! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and safe travels to Erik. Then curl up like the orphans and get a good rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little red fox girl was purchased in London a few years ago. I noticed that you have some of this artists little people as well. We like the same things!
      Of course I will be excitted to have Erik in the house - such a blink it will be, though!

      Delete
  3. Addams Family Decor. WTF? Your house, however, is a testament to life and art and light and love. It looks beautiful!
    I need to do some stashing of items into closets myself today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting our "Martha" on...tidy things up a bit for one dinner ,and then back to clutter on the counters and the mish mash everywhere. That is our comfort zone.
      The dark house is one of many all of a sudden. I suppose it is good for becoming invisible , especially in winter when the darkness is all day long.

      Delete
  4. Yours will be the place to be for Thanksgiving!
    I'm being non-conformist and making chicken adobo this year - grateful for my kids' grandma (Mom). Maybe Flora can make me a banner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YUM, I think that I would much rather have Adobo than big honking turkey. Plus Adobo has fewer calories and carbs- Good for you. Happy chicken day!

      Delete
  5. When a local event place painted itself all black, including the roof, I was aghast. Just don’t see why anyone would like that…but there it is. Love the little ones in bed, and am sure you’ll happily join them after all the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, about black roofs and houses, climate change and global warming are not helped in the least- Roofs should be white or at least very light . Catch up, people!
      The new sheets are like a hug from Mother. I recommend these sheets!

      Delete
  6. Those sheets look so cosy, I'd love to crawl in for a long winter's nap!
    You are doing really well preparing for such a crowd! My fridge died over a week ago and the new one is due on Monday- an excuse for not doing much cooking at all! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fridge did you a favor! Micro wave everything or stove top it all. Usually November is colder than what we have been having and I keep everything in the garage...this year it is too warm!

      Delete
  7. You always set the most perfect and beautiful table. Nothing fancy for this family. There's a house on my street that is painted dark gray with black trim. Depressing. I would not want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table is festive but there are a couple of legs in the way so four people have to straddle them- not entirely ideal. Doesn't really matter. dinner goes quickly and then we all sit wherever.

      Delete
  8. Fourteen for dinner?! Good Lord! Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been more in the past and I did everything, but this time I asked that people bring side dishes, that takes the pressure off!

      Delete
  9. Erik will certainly be the road warrior, I wish him the best of luck & safe travels. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Erik is young, he can handle all sorts of things that I find impossible...

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving Linda Sue. Your table decor looks lovely and a very nice alternative to flowers.
    It's also delightfully warm in MA today and I hope it lasts through the weekend... Especially good for all the people, like Erik, traveling for Thanksgiving.
    Flora is the luckiest little girl in the world. She knows she has two grannies that love and support her. The banner is heartfelt and speaks the truth. Not all little girls are so lucky.
    I have no doubt; your dinner will be to perfection, and a good time will be had for all.
    That's what I aim for too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, Flora is quite a lucky child, great parents and grannies who cherish her. If she were not so fabulous, if she was a stinker, i doubt that she would get all of the positive kudos she gets... Flora Jane is a star!

      Delete
  11. Happy thanksgiving! Those gourds are really something!!

    ReplyDelete