Yesterday we said adios to Peter in his choice of church and his choice of ceremony. Some French, some Dutch and some Indonesian spoken.
The service was nice enough, Friends of Peter were all wonderful and on the right side of history. The woman seated in front of me had rainbows in her hair. I inquired- she got her hair rainbowed by a young Palestinian woman who works in the Peace and Justice Center- sends her earnings to Palestine. Palestine was the theme of the day , besides Peter and Jesus.
The dahlias at the entrance still growing beautifully. they seem to be loving the rain and cooler temperatures.
There was a reception offering trays of cookies and home made this and that. We skipped , but did have a conversation with a few people beforehand. Mary said" I am so surprised that you came!", I guess surprised because we are not fans of Jesus or church. We are fans of Peter and Mary and family! Of course we would show up- we even dressed fancy and combed our hair!
Came home, I made more Pulla. This time they turned out better but I did not put enough salt in . My excuse is "this is for folks with blood pressure issues, totally intentional"... health food- just looking out for y'all.
Stella and I went out before she left for California. We went to the usual , Black Cat , for soup and salad. Dependable and affordable. The rowan tree lost every bit of green , showing off bright berries against red brick. Lovely tree.The gold tree in the background is still clinging to gold flecks. Must be November!
Stella is going to meet her daughter, Grandson and great grand daughter. They will all stay together and go to Disneyland for a couple of days.
Stella's first trip to Disneyland! I wish that I could have gone with her! Aware of the shite company Disney may be but I do love a joy filled day of silly fantasy , reality replaced for a moment, with extreme and grand ridiculousness.
I love Disneyland.
Oldest son and wife have returned from Portugal , having gone to sign a lease on an apartment in the far south, LUZ. While there ,they went to Nice France to hang out with Sister and her wife, they live there now. A great time was had . Oldest son is so ready to leave this country.They intend to be gone by March- this is the last thanksgiving we will all be together.
They had to sign a lease before they even have a visa, which could be problematic. In order to apply for visa , one must have a residence in Portugal to go to. Bass ackwards. It is possible that a visa could be denied and then , there they are , with an apartment paid for remaining empty.
Anyway, we hope that they are well on their way- committed to this new adventure!
I will send the money that Flora made along with them so they can be financially secure, probably. Generous of me, I know.
This morning I watered the indoor plants. Pleasantly surprised by rosemary blooming so delicately. She is pretty!This Sunday morning is not too cold, not too dark, raccoons behaving nicely. They had made a loo out of the corner of the deck where the kitty door once was. "How dare you," I scolded ! I shoveled the poos into a bag and took it to the big trash bin- cleaned the area well, and sprayed it with Re-pells -All, works like magic. Today I will scrape the mud from the glass and shine up the windows. By the time Thanksgiving rolls around the mud will have returned, I am sure. Too many raccoons have been showing up at the crack of dawn, I discourage them with my broom. I wait for my little family of known mother and children to come, only then will I dip into the bag of dog kibble. Do NOT report me! That is all.
Except for this:
Remember Perry Como? He's back!
Eugene Levy is genius!










Does oldest son have a job waiting for him in Portugal? Or are they retired? That would seem to be a problem to me, still working age and moving to another country without guaranteed employment. I loved Portugal, would move there in a heartbeat if I could drag my kids and grandkids along. They have a very welcoming attitude toward expats, just put all your money in our banks. I enquired when I was there.
ReplyDeleteEarly retirement for oldest son and wife. They have made some good choices and are pretty well set. Also , as an industrial designer, if things got sparse, he would always find a project and get paid handsomely. The tax situation is complicated, as you have read in Steve's blog. The kids are still Americans. so...taxes for both countries presents a hic -up.
DeleteMoving to Portugal sounds pretty sweet. The apartment appears close to the coast and that is ideal (in my view). I've heard the climate is similar to that in California which sounds lovely. Life and retirement should be very enjoyable for your son and his wife. You and Dennis likely have an open invitation which is a very nice option.
ReplyDeleteThe rowan tree red berries are beautiful. My mountain ash puts out clusters of berries, but they are much smaller.
The word must have spread that you have wonderful treats for raccoons. Putting some limits out there is probably a good idea.
Disneyland definitely provides a nice departure from the day-to-day. Stella knows how to live and spending time with family touring Disney will be good fun.
I have never been to Portugal. I am thinking that it may be way too warm for me, especially in the southern part (?) It is a most major move isn't it! Still intheri fifties, though, so- adaptable.
DeleteStella will return on. Monday- with mouse ears!
Pulla?? I like the idea of rainbow hair, but not for me.
ReplyDeletePulla, finish coriander braided bread, lightly sweet.
DeleteI'm glad you went to say farewell to Peter. I know it meant a lot to family. Those rowan berries are a WOW!
ReplyDeleteSuch an uplifting group of friends honoring Peter. Stories and a few songs .
DeleteI was laying in bed this morning, just thinking about all the things that make me anxious and one of them was "Why did I offer to make the bread again?" Oh Lord. Angel biscuits, I guess.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for going to the funeral or service or whatever it was. Those things are for the family and you did the good thing.
Portugal. A country I know nothing at all about. Not to be confused with all the other countries I know nothing about. Good for them, though! I hope all the visas and so forth go smoothly.
Your pictures, as always, are gorgeous.
laying in bed thinking about things that cause anxiety would certainly put a crimp in my day- I have a date with Sally tomorrow , to go to the theater and dinner...I feel very anxious- going out for more than an hour to me is uncomfortable these days. Not sure if it is due to vision , lack of, or just anti social ..making bread for Thanksgiving is OK compared to going out for the evening! Angel biscuits! I need those!
DeletePhotos are pretty much a no brainer up here, it is lovely no matter where one points and shoots! Thank you, Mary!XO
I'm so glad you went to the service for Peter and I smiled at you combing your hair and sprucing up. Another lovely person lost to our world and neighborhood. JanF
ReplyDeletePeter is missed already, of course. I suppose that mary is the next to go, That will leave US as the oldest in the cul de sac...days are numbered!
DeleteSame here, only one woman older than me here. It's strange that there are two widowers but only me as a widow. JanF
DeleteSo sorry for your loss. That was nice of you to go to the service. Your photos are lovely. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete