Sunshine,we couldn't be more pleased! Color has returned . At the grocery store after spending time with Flora and Emmett, I needed a tuna sandwich and a bottle of milk . The grocery store in the neighborhood , though it is my least favorite company, is one of the best of the chain.
I got what I needed and wandered home.
Now is the time for tulips! They are abundant . The tulip festival starting as traffic comes from all over to snake along country roads through the tulip fields 
Something we avoid now. In the past, before people , it was lovely.
Varieties are mind blowing.
No need to go to Holland, the tulips here are equally as stunning, the fields are vast and from the air look like Rothko's work.
From the grocery I hopped across the street to the
Assistance League , bought a recycle shopping bag, and these moccasins made in the Yukon probably in the sixties, never worn. $2.00 Of course I thought of Flora but now realize they are too small for her. Either I can wait for another baby girl to get born or just put them in with other treasures in the cabinet. Let family sort it all when I am six feet under.
Speaking of family. our grandson . Max, has had a government job (interning for CIA, learning the ropes) for the past 2.5 years. He was offered a chemists job in
Denmark , full ride. but turned it down, he also graduated from Uof W with pre med qualification, but turned down acceptance into med school there. I guess he wanted adventure and the CIA sounded enticing. (?)
Anyway, no longer with the government he applied and was accepted into med school beginning this fall at....you guessed it....Columbia!
The board of directors at Columbia have fallen in line with
Trump and appointed one of their board to take over as President of the university, side stepped protocol -set in stone...or so they thought . Like the constitution and rule of law- no longer applicable. Enrollment has dropped, Gov. funding has become non existent- they face closing altogether as trump intends...
""
Well, what we’re seeing is a continuation and an escalation of the board of trustees of Columbia University basically going rogue. There was also a report issued yesterday by the Columbia University Senate, almost 400-page report, documenting the ways in which the trustees abused their power over the last two years in mismanaging events at Columbia. So, Claire Shipman being appointed, outside of the normal process, president at Columbia is part of that pattern of really a takeover of the university by the trustees, by these corporate officers of the university, who quite clearly have demonstrated that they do not feel any fidelity to protecting our academic mission, but, in a way, are working hand in glove with the Trump administration to destroy that very mission.
JUAN GONZĂLEZ: And, Katherine, when you say the board is going rogue, what would be the normal process for the selection of a president at Columbia?
KATHERINE FRANKE: Well, Juan, I’m glad you asked. I brought Columbia’s charters and statutes with me. And one section within there very clearly says that where a president or an acting president has stepped down, resigned or otherwise stepped down from office, the provost is supposed to become the acting president, until such time as the trustees conduct a regular search, that would involve many stakeholders in the university community. But instead of allowing Angela Olinto, who is the provost of Columbia, who I think is widely well regarded and, I think, would have been welcomed as an acting president by everyone in our community — instead of that, following the rules of the statutes, they appointed their own co-chair of the board of trustees. I have to say it feels like Columbia University has become the Tesla of the U.S. academic community, where wealthy people buy their way onto the board of trustees and then appoint themselves CEO of the organization, only to ruin the brand of that institution. No one in their right mind wants a Tesla right now, and people are heading for the doors at Columbia. The admissions just went out for the undergraduate program, and the numbers are way down. Students don’t want to come to Columbia. So it feels very similar, that we have this kind of hostile takeover of our institution, the one that you’ve had a long legacy with, that mirrors what’s happening in other parts of the country, as well.""
From Democracy Now with
Amy Goodman.
Bad timing for the lad. Bad timing for Mr. Man and his new Tesla. Bad timing for me to not have closed my piddly little investments. With the 80% firing of librarians and the shifting of museums into white man history only, I expect little libraries to be cropping up like weeds along the roadside.
Clearly controlling education to the lowest form of intelligence, keep them dumb and pregnant... PLUS trying to disallow women the vote if they had married and taken the name of their husbands- if it is not the name you were born with you are not longer an entity...Changing my name back might be in the cards. I will check into it.
This photo is of the little wooden doll house stuff I took over to
Flora's. She has so much stuff in her room already that it was advised that I take it all back home with me after play. Bring it back another time and take it home again...their house is so small another thing would burst the seams.
It was fun to see how Flora put it all together- I thought the toilet was a mail box but she sorted me out on that one, though she did change the lamp's purpose to being a nurse sometimes...and an ice cream and a cupcake...anything can be anything.
The little girl doll walked over to the baby doll and smacked him....flinging him across the room.
Flora has had some adjusting to do, pretty sure that as Emmet gets older it will settle into a loving sibling relationship, as they do. (sometimes)
I asked "Is that little dolly
Emmett?" She said " Um, I , um, love
Emmett, he is my best friend" and then marched the little girl doll over to baby to pat him on the head.
It is known that a new baby in the family causes trauma and stress to the first born child, some never get over it (my brother never did). and some do indeed become best friends. It is all about parenting I reckon. So These two children have a leg up on having a good, loving relationship. Great parents! The way things are going in this land, they will have to stay close , help one another. Living in this land is becoming more dicey until....what? We all die- the rich white men take all of the money and fly away on Musk's Tesla space ship? I would gladly give them all of my money if they would fly away tomorrow!
My cherry tree, birthday tree!









"trying to disallow women the vote if they had married and taken the name of their husbands" - I mean WHAT? I need to read the news more. For sanity sake I have been trying to avoid the headline grabbing s**t pouring out of your senior administration but REALLY?
ReplyDeleteit has been floating around probably initiated by TRANS names , birth certificates, you are what you are when you are born crap. Avoiding is probably going to save your sanity! Every day there is something absurd and frightening.
DeletePS the tulips are beautiful, the sunshine is soothing, the moccasins are darling (do they make adult size - i need some), grandchildren are refreshingly ignorant of politics, and life goes on.
ReplyDeleteThe tulips pretty much made my day- plus the dog in the sunshine. A sweetie!
DeleteDo you have a passport? That will work for voter id, although I'd be surprised if deep Blue Washington participated in this crap. I never changed my name, after going to four different colleges, the thought of it was more than I could tolerate. Columbia has lost their way. It's sad to see.
ReplyDeleteI just got my passport renewed so I hope that is enough, changing name back to maiden name would be such a hassle ! Wonder if war with the united states is going to war will be a thing.
DeleteThe tulips are beautiful. I did not know that tulips are prolific in your state, and you have a tulip festival. It sounds lovely, but the crowds...not so much. I'd grow tulips if the MA squirrels did not dig them up and destroy them.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your grandson on his acceptance to Columbia for med school. You must be very proud of Max and his accomplishments.
It does seem the ivy league schools are capitulating to get Federal funds. They all have huge endowments and could likely do just fine. The students in many cases are protesting decisions by boards and university presidents. Sadly, university presidents have been fired (or forced to resign) because they do not align with the politics/demands from ahigh. The entire environment is very toxic.
Flora created a sweet little home. Tossing the toy baby is kind of funny. Very subliminal. Understandably, she might feel a little displaced after being the only child for a few years. Your one-on-one time with Flora is heartwarming.
The moccasins are lovely. They make a great baby gift. There is bound to be another new baby for those moccasins. Baby or no baby, I would have bought them too. Great find.
Yes. little Flora is a bit pissed off I think , her displeasure comes out sideways sometimes. If the trump dictatorship comes to full fruition we won't even be able to talk about it ,will we. The worst thing that has ever happened in this country. AND to the world! He has sent everyone scrambling. It would not be a sad event for him to vanish! Sooner the better.
Deletethe worst thing since slavery and genocide , I mean...this country's history is grim.
DeleteColumbia has truly lost their way, from what I understand they have a really large endowment, somewhere around $14B. Seems to me they could stand their ground and wait that idiot out, he's not gonna be here forever. Same with the large law firms that have caved, the buffoon has not got a legal leg to stand on. Perkins Coie told him to stuff it and the courts ruled in their favor, if they all did that he would give it up, but alas.... I have to ask, did Dennis buy another Swasticar or were you referring to the one he bought a bit ago?
ReplyDeleteThe one he bought when I was in London, I still consider it new. Columbia did lose its way , that is a shame. I don't know what Max will do ...he has the summer to think about it. Plus his Dad is taking him diving in the Grand Caymans in May - A big hurrah I suppose.
Deletetesla space ships have a habit of exploding shortly after take-off, so I'm hoping all of those rich white men decide to take a ride on the next one.
ReplyDeleteLove the doll furniture and I ADORE those moccasins.
DeleteThe moccasins are soft hide with rabbit trim, they are exceptional. Musk's space ship ride for all of the rich white dudes would be most satisfying, for all of us.
What a fun post -- those tulips knock me out and I love the Flora story. I hope they stay close forever, no knocking on the head or flinging across the room, just pats! Cheers to Max, though under the circumstances, yes, bad timing. Bad timing for us all.
ReplyDeleteThe youth are caught in pergatory- trying to move forward with their lives , pushing against a brick wall. They will not fare well .
DeleteI consider anyone using my "maiden" name to be dead-naming me. I am not that person nor would I ever choose to be.
ReplyDeleteThat is a shame that your "birth" family was horrid. You have the best name possible right now and as long as we never need to show birth certificats to vote , you are good. Changing name is nearly impossible.
DeleteThe Tesla of universities—shame on them!
ReplyDeleteThe take over!!!!
DeleteGiving in to a bully's demands down not mollify the bully, it only emboldens him. Somebody needs to explain to me how destroying education, scientific research, firing people without cause, destroying ally relationships and the economy, wiping out the achievements of everyone who isn't male and white, how does that make the US 'great'?
ReplyDeleteCute playset. My sister never got over me being born and then insult to injury, the always preferred boy child. Although as adults she and I did form a close relationship, ever closer as we aged.
clearly the dictator is appeasing his base with that stupid make Umurkuh great BS. His balloon talk is taken in by the faithful- "trust in trump" for instance...Bloody hell!
DeleteI had forgotten that tulips are such a thing where you are! You do have an amazing variety, it's true. I'd have bought those yellowish-leaved ones in the fourth photo down just to "save" them. :)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about your grandson! Talk about wrong place, wrong time. Dave's nephew is in the Forest Service and we've been hearing a lot of inside baseball about goings-on there under Trump. It's not pretty.
Everything that accepted a penny from government/taxes/people support is in peril. Jobs lost, everything trashed for the sake of the orange fart king...The people of this country certainly did get lazy and unwell. In steps the fixer!!! hahaha-"Have a mickey D's happy meal , shut up and go to your room..." These actually could be the "good ol days" things will plummet - four years??? dear lord!
DeleteIt's such fun to play with tiny furniture and to be master of the universe for a short while.
ReplyDeleteWhen my youngest daughter brought her second baby home, her elder son said, 'Put him in the dustbin.' Charlie loves his little brother now and they have a lovely relationship, but I think the displacement is hard to take.
It is hard to take...the idea of a baby in the tummy was OK, but the reality is not great. Flora's upset has been hard for her.
Delete