My Blog List

Wednesday, April 2, 2025

tulips on fire, charming Flora, meeting friends in thrify places.

Up at 4:00 A.M.  The tulips under the dining room light looked like the fire alarm might go off at any minute. I love the quiet of 4:00A.M. There may be a racoon on the deck, there may be something larger passing through the yard , crunching yard detritus  under its mass. Generally I like this hour. Especially if I am able to nap for an hour in the afternoon. If that sounds like the best plan for an elderly woman - it is!

Emily sent a photo of Flora in her nightie with Bluey. We spent a few hours together , playing and reading and telling stories, eating lunch, driving the sofa car to France Yonder, taking Bluey to hospital, going to the dentist to get an xray to fix the sofa car...the usual three year old inventions.  Across the street bloom pink hyacinths.


I have never before known a child to love wearing hats, but this one does! The nightie is a bit large- growing room. I thought I had scored buying a pattern from the charity shop , it is a different pattern, more like a traditional nightie, but got it home and discovered that it was for size 10. Oh well, I keep trying to find the perfect pattern that will sew itself.

When I arrived back at the homestead I had received mail! REAL mail through the post!!  This from Fresca, fellow lover of bears and Girlettes , bear in photo is one I made from an old moth eaten cardigan, wearing my Tom Waits pin.

Flowers are blooming a little , not full blown yet but enough to spark enthusiasm . Our yard is a fright this year. Tree gone, Mr. Man chopping off branches from the plum and cherry  because they annoy him, cultivating hemlock and putting up  "science" projects on roof and in yard. This is our sad looking "Laboratory" house yesterday...You may remember it looking lush and lovely-  a fond memory...

The massive white post holds a modest rain gauge.  Our house is looking more like  politics these days. Anyway I think that Mr. Man is having fun with his "hobbies".  Keeps him out of jail...

 

Posies that grow nearby. Maggie's short lived  Camellia blossoms across the street. Blink and they are gone.




White hyacinths and purple, still tucked in. A few days of moderate weather tricks them every time. the fragrance is lovely!
 


A hand full of Daffies made in through the winter. Deer don't like them.

Sunsets have been pink and baby blue lately. soft and comforting, like climbing into soft flannel.  The world continues to spin, pregnant mama raccoons continue to climb the stairs for cat food and Peg the one legged seagull visits every day for string cheese snacks.  On we go. 



What I came away with from the thrift store- besides the bogus pattern-

The little vintage creamer is Eschenback Porcelain , Bavarian.  The dollies are obvious. I generally bump into old friends at the thrift store- this time I met up with my friend Michelle. She rented  Dennis's apartment above the office when she was Michael. Anyway she looks amazing, good natured and clever, plus  nothing that three six hour long surgeries and a month's stay in hospital won't do for a gals figure!  Colon cancer- But they think that it all was successful and she will live another long time. She showed me the bruising and scars and holes that are healing...I nearly fainted.  Michelle is a tough cookie and does have a God faith that keeps her from despair. I think that having that unshakable, not   the usual christian delusional corny dogma  , faith has kept her on earth. Can't even argue with that! I love her dearly. We had a good laugh, at the expense of Michelle's  marvelous adventures...Dahhhling!



23 comments:

  1. Flora looks very fetching in her new nighty. You did a nice job with that. I think self-assembling patterns would be a really good idea. I doubt seriously if my spatial relations are good enough to make clothing anymore. In the distant past I made pants; zippers, pockets, the whole thing. That skill is gone now. Your plants are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever I had any skills they are hiding under a thick blanket of inability- not being able to see is a challenge.
      Threading a needle takes about half a day! I have some adorable flannel to make more but am not sure about this pattern I used. It is so weird!

      Delete
  2. Flora's stylin' in that hat! Keep on sending those sunsets, those are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunrise is equally sweet! Orchestral tune up in the trees and on the lines! color is superb!

      Delete
  3. What a great job you did on the nightie, now you have succeeded with the first maybe you will try another . Also I am very impressed that you made the lovely teddy out of an old cardigan!
    Did you also knit the little cardigan she is wearing?
    My yard is a disgrace, half the tiny lawn is bare. I have sown seeds again, if this lot doesn't take I am thinking of planting clover. I am so lucky that nobody can see it from the street! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. Flora seems to like the nightie so I feel like maybe it was not such a dumb attempt after all. When i returned from London , I had such jet lag, I decided to cut up the cardigan and improvise a hand stitched bear. I did not knit the cardigan for the bear- He used to be dressed in a fox hunting outfit.
      Don't worry about your missing grass- great opportunity to seed clover which is more environmentally friendly anyway. Good choice. The rabbits and deer will love it...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures AND words here, Linda Sue. I love the nightie. I bet that Flora will wear it until she literally can't anymore.
    That camellia is the same variety as my favorite that I have here! And I still don't know its name.
    I made a stuffed duck once out of one of my old cashmere sweaters. i still have it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I google searched the camellia - it is said to be Japanese..CAshmere makes the best small stuffed animals! New life as a duck is great!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous thrift finds, and I think Flora's nightgown turned out great! Is Dennis settling for chopping limbs off the fruit trees rather than cutting down the whole thing? I'd call that a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dying by small cuts I reckon. I will miss the trees when they have finally given up the fight.

      Delete
  6. Mr Man’s jeans are staying up well for his trek to his Science Station 😄. Suspenders on duty?

    I was glad to see your house from the outside – – I don’t think I ever had – – now I see how your deck is oriented.

    That nightie! I want one just like it.

    The Chinese dolls look like Ada Lum dolls—you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ada Lum dolls are still around in the charity shops sometimes. When I see them I have to adopt them, of course I do. You are right suspenders doing the work now! Crack be gone. I showed the photo of house now to my friend of 38 years who has not been by for a while- she was aghast. "Oh dear, " she said," I don't think I would be good about that"...The nightie is soft and cozy , NOT flame retarded poly crap.

      Delete
  7. Love the nightie. Just keep making them; Flora has a lifetime of sleeping to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sky is lovely with layers of pink, white and blue.
    Flora's nightgown is perfect. It is soft flannel with a great print and made especially for her. How could she not love it?
    The dolls are terrific finds.
    The custom bear made from a cardigan is amazing. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. though the cardigan bear may look OK in photos, it is really haphazard. I intend to make more nighties and some for summer- But you know the road to hell is paved with....

      Delete
  9. Your house is nice. Love the tulips and hyacinths, though I am glad I can't smell them through ny screen. The nightie looks good and as you say, plenty of growing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tulips have a lovely fragrance. Daffies not so much.I will attempt another nightie for Flora and maybe a summer gown- no promises though. It is a struggle for me to thread a needle let alone keep the tension right.

      Delete
  10. It's looking beautiful in your world! Love Flora with Bluey -- She doesn't care it's too big, she loves it. Amazing blooms everywhere. I love those tulips especially!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jeanie! It is tulip time up here- traffic snaking through/along country roads to view the fields of color. A good time to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many lovely photos! I think Flora's nightgown is perfect! I have that "Old Bear" book as my Beary is 72 years old now and I will never get rid of him. Love the treats you found at the thrift shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Bear is delightful! Your old bear will follow you through eternity!

      Delete
  13. The pink and blue skies are wonderful and just right for a cherub's bed, soft enough to rest one's weary head.

    ReplyDelete