Sun up this morning- light coming through the cherry tree. The morning looks promising.
The land line rang, I answered. On the other end a voice very like Erik's , crying, "Mom! MOM! I have been in a terrible accident- I broke my nose , my face is gashed I need to go to hospital , I need stitches!!" all of this in a sobbing panicked voice... I had just been texting with Erik on Iphone... Calmly I said "Ok, when is your birthday?" The voice hung up. It did make my old heart skip a beat, though. Damn scam.
Yesterday I played house with Flora, keeping baby Emmett from eating the tiny furniture we put the set up on the kitchen table. I swear I do not know how mothers deal with toddler and a baby at the same time ! I had to take a nap after.
This child - highly inventive and fascinating to chat with.
She teaches me well- She also blows my mind! If there is such a thing as old soul- been here before- this child has it mastered. The smartest baby I have ever known. She knows and feels things that a three year old usually is incapable of.
I did stop by the Assistance League thrift store because it is right by Flora's house. There were things that I did not need or want but were lovely! Old white wicker furniture along with doll sized wicker, Adorable.
By the time I got there it had been well picked over by Old Town dealers who stand in a queue before the doors open first thing in the morning. They are a pushy lot , I understand- it is their bread and butter, they are annoying- I avoid.
After an hour and a half nap , I watched the sun go down. Nothing like taking a nap only to get up minutes before bedtime. I was not feeling well- something unusual, happening. Probably an issue that should be tended to but I reckoned that it was just me having eaten three bagels- Wheat is not my friend.
Sun going down- stormy skies, rain and wind- and it is so amazing that statistics claim this is the third year of severe drought in the PNW! Lord , if it rained more we would be flapping our tails along the bank, spawning, dying. I guess the snow pack, or lack thereof, is a cause for concern.
leaving you with delicious rubber sweets!!! And the little ginkgo struggling to become significant.
That is some color!!! Ginkgo babies are LOUD!












Linda Sue! What horrible scam is that, pretending to be your hurt child!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is new to me – – had you heard of it before?
Good thing you just been talking to Erik and knew it couldn’t have been him…
Ha ha, I see your nightgown is getting worn! It sure is cute, and that kid is sure an amazement
❤️❤️❤️
OK, I googled it and it’s fairly new (couple years?) but yes,
Delete“scammers are abusing voice-cloning software to prey on unsuspecting families.”
Creepy.
Smart to have a question to ask, forverification
Terrible scam- I had not heard of this scam but I suspect everything these days! Trust nothing!
DeleteNightie is too big for her obviously but it is cosy and she likes it! I am about to embark on another attempt...really cute fabric. Cutting a pattern is always nerve wracking for me...EEEK!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ai-phone-scam-voice-call-b2459449.html
Delete^^^^link to scam but watch the video too!
Vile scammers! They seem in abundance today.
ReplyDeleteMy son recently visited a Niro coffee shop in Boston, and he used his card. His card was copied during the swipe and used to the tune of several hundred dollars. The bank notified my son about out-of-state purchases, and they cancelled the card. They said scammers usually spend a few hundred dollars and if not stopped, go on to larger amounts.
Flora looks adorable in her nightgown. She clearly loves creating little scenes using the toy furniture and dolls. Does she tell a story to go along with the scene?
My card was also scammed from online order- My bank caught it though so I did not lose anything but they did get away with a couple hundred dollars...I got a new card/ I am now thinking that cards are no longer safe- the bummer is that some places no longer take cash!! This crazy world, eh?
DeleteOur girl does tell stories and does interact with the little family.
JIm's Mom got one of those calls, he was allegedly hurt in a foreign country, I don't remember which one. She fell for it, went roaring out of the house to get money. Thankfully, each place she went told her no, you're being scammed. She finally ended up at a bank where the bank manager knew her and put a stop to it. It's a terrible thing to do to the old people. As far as the cards go, what's left? How else are we to pay for things? I don't like to direct debit checking, although we have some utilities that do. Hopefully their security is good.
ReplyDeleteTrust nothing! The other night I was flipping through news on you tube and saw a "breaking" video about a 9.0 earth quake in
DeleteCalifornia that triggered a tidal wave- it showed lines of cars leaving and the big water over taking the roadway --- "STAY TUNED for further news...Looked mighty legit- I checked all other news sources - nothing! Crazy. Made up shite!
I prefer to pay bills using paper, but Dennis likes auto pay because it is easy. Our cards are pretty well protected by the banks we use, they are on their toes.
I would have walked out with that wicker -- it's gorgeous and in good shape. Where to put it? I'm sure I'd think of something! That was a brilliant thing to say on the phone to that guy. Well done. And revolting that this is their method.
ReplyDeleteSo difficult to walk a way from that beautiful rocker! Pristine, it was, I am sure that it was sold right after I walked away from it!
DeleteThe thing these days is to not panic - we have been trained...reactions held in check.
I bet that Flora lives in that nightgown.
ReplyDeleteWow. Can't believe someone tried that scam on you. I actually read a novel sometime in the last year or so about a woman who fell for that. It had a rather absurd plot- she flew to whatever country the perpetrators lived in to find them and get her money back- but it did shed some light on how the damn thing is operated. Your reaction was perfect.
The article posted above under Fredca's comment is a good link to click on if you can. Especially with grandkids - Could happen to anyone now that voices are cloned by A I. Terrifying, Mary!!
DeleteThose scammers are awful. Glad you were wise to them!
ReplyDeleteFlora looks so sweet in that nightgown. It's good that there is room to grow as she will be able to enjoy it for a while.
I have summer fabric here waiting for me to commit to cutting out a pattern- I have to gear up for it. Lacking confidence in ability here!
DeleteWe old folks must be on high alert- the scams are sophisticated and seem to be everywhere all at once- A.I. is a very good trickster!
I've gotten an email like that, not physically damaged but money stolen while overseas. It amazes me that people fall for that. If one of my kids or close relatives was out of the country I think I'd know about it. Though I did fall for a buying art work scam once but the gods that be stepped in at the last minute and no money was lost. Stupid, I should have known better. So embarrassed.
ReplyDeleteMy3 yr old great granddaughter is older than her years. Super smart. Talks like an adult because she spends all her time around adults.
Your great grand daughter is truly GREAT! Three years old is the most interesting age! Today folks are more likely than not to get taken to the cleaners by scams- they are very clever! The telephone plea for help sounded like my son- though the timbre was a bit off- mom's have keen ears! But A I. is becoming more proficient at deception- beware.
DeleteLast year I had a phone call that my son had crashed his car and had asked the caller to request money from me for hospital bills. I hung up right away. My son does not even have a licence, much less a car.
ReplyDeleteHA! That is crazy! From now on I will not answer the phone !!!
DeleteEveryone wants our money and they'll get it any way they can. Prices are rising all the time and it's so hard for young families.
ReplyDelete