Dennis went out to one of his storage units to bring back the stuff that was in the cedar chest from long ago. so I could wash it or toss it.
On his way he bought an azalea in a a hanging pot.
I have never seen a hanging pot with an azalea- I am not sure that is the right thing to do.
Azaleas like the coziness of being in the ground partial shade with others of their kin.
The inside of the cedar chest did not protect stuff entirely. Moths had lunch several times over the years. I did manage to save some things, wash them , wash them again, and spray them with plant based Fresh Wave. Erik's first shoes may fit Emmett. Sheepskin- Comfortable for first summer running around, Erik wore them for less than a season. Sheepskin is the best!
Erik's baby suits and a few quilts were in the pile, the little suit we brought him home in, so tiny! The bunny suit that I made for him when he was 20 months old for Halloween, He loved it so much he was still wearing it four years later! Photo from the local paper, Erik and Emily in the children's parade .
Also in the pile - Green vintage yardage from Afghanistan , which i have had for longer than I know...Guadalupe fabric, hand paint silk scarves, etc.
Linens, felted slippers and hats, Old wool sweaters, fulled for toy making . Erik's first toy giraffe, my mother's wool embroidered table cloth, and the most remarkable find- a woven Scottish head scarf that I wore non stop through my youth of adventure.I bought it at a jumble sale in Marden for 10 P. It is still in remarkably good condition for all of it's travels and age! I had forgotten to take it with me when I went to Morocco. I used the torn curtain from the hotel window where I stayed in Fes, for a head wrap. I left that behind in France on my way back to London. No longer any need for complete curtain head cover!
Guadalupe fabric that is now vintage and fairly rare,
silk hand painted scarves- I received the dancing girls for my 50th birthday, the other I bought around the same time because- WHO Wouldn't!!
The mustiness is pretty annoying, the cedar chest did not do it's job ! I rescued two Pendleton shirts but one has a massive chew hole in the arm. Not sure how to mend it- may just scissor the arms to be shorter...Why anyone (me) would put a bread board in a cedar chest is a dumb mystery! But there you go, Swedish , from the 50's. It says something like " crap cake is better than none at all"...
Tomorrow is Granny day - Something I have to recover from afterwards. A nap usually brings me back to life- We are gong to REI in the evening to learn something about native plants and re-wilding the yard...maybe, who knows, it may be a ploy to sell stuff. This day is fabulous so far- raccoons, squirrels , crows , jays, deer and ducks in the yard. It is quiet, and the poo plant over yonder is NOT burning poo this morning! Life is good.











What treasures! And I love the cotton nightgown. It is perfect. I hope those little shoes of Erik's fit Emmett. They are precious. All of the things are really nice and I'm glad you saved them. The green of that scarf is a very fine color. The V of G fabric is so vibrant. And the two hand-painted scarves are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteIf the azalea loses its love of life, you can always plant it in the ground and use the pot for pansies or something.
I hope to get the azalea in the ground before summer so that it will get enough water. Everytime we have apot hanging by the kitchen window it gets too thirsty and withers. I added the scarf of adventure after your comment - forgetting that I had not...The green yardage is Afghani! Beautiful !
DeleteYou have some of the coolest stuff ever. I hope the native plant thing is interesting.
ReplyDeleteI am hoping it will not inform us of us what we already know- it will probably just a little boost to get things going...OR to sell something...
DeleteThe cedar chest held many treasures from near and faraway lands. Lovely memories abound.
ReplyDeleteThe fabrics are unique, likely handcrafted by locals in the region. Definitely keepers.
Flora's new nightgown is very beautifully made. The ruffle cap sleeve, neckline and gentle pleats running down the front are perfect for sweet Flora. She will love the pink fabric with sparkles. What little girl would not just love a designer custom made nightgown in pink?
Erik's bunny costume is perfection and adorable. It looks sized right for Emmett and/or Flora.
Those sheepskin shoes look perfect for Emmett. They held up well in the cedar chest.
If you looked closely at the nighty you might change your evaluation of it. Especially the hem- the tension was off so it is quite a tangle! But she won't mind- and she will out grow it before she notices! I have tried to rid the shoes of mustiness using baking soda- Poor Emmett's feet may not like that much! I tried to get it all out of the shoes, maybe I succeeded, not sure.
DeleteLove that Guadalupe fabric. Having played granny to my grand niece recently, I get the exhaustion that accompanies the joy. But oh, it's more than a fair exchange. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteFlora is fun to play with, Emmett is trying to walk and he is fast and into everything all at once. so between the two this old granny is spent. Emmett weighs a lot! Carrying him around should be worked up to! Even Emily, young and fit, has difficulty carrying him- so i do not maon about myself being a wimp so much...
DeleteThe Guadalupe 's are very cool- birght and festive! All together , they are a bit overwhelming!
DeleteGlittery fabric? Flora will love it! The tiny sheepskin boots brought back a memory, I bought a similar pair for one grandson when he was close to walking age. I wonder if he still has them? He is 25 now.
ReplyDeleteThe best moccasins for walking at age one! Sturdy, comfy, and flexible. Sheep are miraculous animals.
DeleteWhat treasures! I LOVE that bunny suit photo. And those adorable shoes. I can see why you have to recover from Granny day. Been there, done that. All good, all exhausting. (We'll have them Saturday for early Easter, fortunately with parents at hand, too!) That had to be quite the memory lane walk in that chest!
ReplyDeleteI have not seen that stuff for ages! It was good to weed it out. wash things and give them away.
DeleteWhat treasures you have unearthed. Eldest daughter and her younger daughter arrived unannounced today with a four-year-old, and two two-year-olds. It was lovely to see them and they went home with a car loaded with 'treasures' - clothes, books, toys, duvets. Eldest daughter and son-in-law are coming some time to clear our garage of all the stuff that's accumulated or been left behind by various offspring. I find it hard to part with things.
ReplyDeleteLike a fresh water lake- the stream goes in the stream goes out but the lake itself remains full. I let things go, but then I go to the thrift store...Endless trickle.
Delete