Last night we went to a meeting/lecture re: native plants, seeds, to nurture one's earth space. The audience demographic , serious gardener/botanists owning large parcels to fill with native flora.. The photos were amazing. Most of the gardens well into their thirtieth year.
We went to learn about soil mostly, we do not have thirty years to develop out little yard into a park like wonderland. Anyway, it is really up to Mr. Man to figure out and play with- I have learned to choose battles and to walk away. Which is something I want to do about leaving this land entirely. Of course Flight not fight!
Anyway, we get on as though everything is running smoothly for the most part up here- I did go to the import shop - bought ten packets of biscuits before they are no longer available. I gave half of them to Emily to see her little family through another two weeks...The eaters of biscuits! I bought more tea, Yorkshire to add to my pile of PG tips.
Flora likes the nightie and the sparkles- worn with her rain boots to run away from ghosts in the back yard. In the kitchen painting for the fridge, making soup out of water , pepper, "beets"( onion skin), ginger dirt , garlic perfume, and tons of salt. She made a cake out of the same ingredients, baking it for 9 & 4 minutes.
Emmett under the table eating stray cherrios. Little lad does not like naps. Too much to do, you understand.
After Flora's I stopped by the assistance league - bought two dolls and a dog. This dolly is welcomed and shown around by orphan and mother rabbit. Feeling at home already. She is from Brazil and only speaks Portuguese. We are learning Portuguese basics - Eu quero bolo- I want cake.
Stella sent an email, a heads up that there were dollies in a basket by the check out station. I was pretty sure that it would have been rifled through by the time I could get there.
Got lucky- bought the best dolly in the lot!
She is wool - smells like she lived in my cedar chest failure but no moth holes.
This week the search for good acidic soil continues. We do not have cedar needles for mulch so Mr. man will drive out yonder to find dirt. He will take his YUKON hybrid truck rather than his dumb little Tesla Nazi Bullshite car.
We shall see ,how and if, the yard becomes more than a haphazard idea through the summer. Perspective, you understand...is it a big deal considering the truly big deals we are facing? No it is not. Little frustrations and so called problems certainly have taken a back seat in light of ----Orange DICKtatorship.
Golden current is a lovely delicate little shrub that I would like to have. Our problem will be the deer grazing through the yard eating everything except poison hemlock.
Goodbye from the cherry blossoms - trying to turn into cherries but never quite making it. The few at the top of the tree are bird food so all is not wasted!
A good reference book for locals -
This one.













Can you buy bags of Ericaceous compost there? It helps acidify (is that a word?) soil. But maybe you have too much soil to treat with special compost. LOVE the Brazilian dolly and glad you gave her (and her dog) a home. Your pictures are so colorful and joyous.
ReplyDeleteThere is a place out in the county , a big farm/garden/tree /native plant place...that makes acidic soil which is what is needed- a big load rather than a bag of Ericaceous compost. Thought that could be used in smaller areas I suppose. It is available here, thanks for the notice!
DeleteMs. Brazil is mighty fine and her dog from Japan is well behaved.
Oh, honey. While awaiting the inevitable, we might as well be doing things good for our souls, for the earth.
ReplyDeleteFor sweet, smart, strong little girls and their brothers.
Yes, little else we can do under the orange smog. Little annoyances can take a hike!Our brains can not deal with any more dumb stuff!
DeleteFlora is adorable in her new nightgown. The color is wonderful on her and she looks like an angelic princess running from ghosts in her glorious pink outfit. Fairy tales are made like this!
ReplyDeleteI would have loved the lecture you attended. It does seem you got some great information.
My soil is acidic and rocky. There are very old tall white pine trees throughout the property. I've had to bring in many truckloads of loan, compost, and leaf mold to create my landscape which is rustic/woodland with island beds.
I grow lots of acid loving trees and shrubs that the deer do not eat. The Korean Fir is one of my favorites because it is blue/gray/green with small pinecones. Gold thread cypress is also hardy and provides great color. Japanese maples are wonderful, and they come in many shades of green, plum and green/cream.
I see a game of brinksmanship in our midst. That's the stage we have been handed..for now.
While the world is in turmoil, I manage to find solace in my garden.
Ms. Brazil and her doggy friend are great finds. I love her dress; did you make it?
Your garden- divine! How wonderful you have that space for trees and all of the shrubs, yes, I think that you would have loved the meeting and would have fit right in with the botanist gardeners there. We do have to be careful about planting what ever- making sure the deer are not fond of it. They do eat the cypress, pruning them to look like pop cycles.
DeleteTurmoil mostly caused by one orange stinker!
Ms. Brazil came wearing her bright felted frock!! It is adorable!
I'll be looking forward to pictures of the new garden sections as they come about. Flora's new nighties looks perfect on her. I tried native plants here soon after I moved in and removed dozens of tall prickly grasses with seed heads similar to millet. The natives either died or sulked and refused to grow. I switched to succulents and they did better. But it isn't a garden I'm happy with.
ReplyDeleteTrial and error- Trying things before one knows entirely what it may do where it is planted is part of the So called FUN? We shall see, Mr. man is a slow mover...
DeleteThat's my gardening style, native perennials. And semi tropicals but those are less and less with the cold arctic blasts we get now. The used to survive freezing and just below but not the 20s and teens we get dow at least once every winter.
ReplyDeleteroll with changes- though unpredictable! I am thinking drought resistance would be a good quality , especially since we have had the third year of drought up here!
DeleteFlora is a joyful, beautiful child. And good for you, learning Portuguese so you can communicate with your newest community member! Cake is important.
ReplyDeleteSuch a perfect age, this Flora child! Learning the important things in any or all languages is beneficial! Especially when it comes to cake...or anything else that sustains the soul.
DeleteThat nightie! That Flora! Most beautiful of all children she is! And what wonderful dollies. All good things here that make me smile.
ReplyDelete