My Blog List

Sunday, April 6, 2025

Happy Birthday - last one ?


 Today is the day of birth- Erik's coworkers baked a cake for him , raspberry chocolate, he got an E-bike , rode it to work, through  the cold rain , loving his new bike. 

The day this Olan Mills photo was taken  we had just gone to the thrift store where Erik purchased Mickey. He thought that we were taking Mickey for a photo shoot , we  people were just there to support the mouse.  Made the ten minutes of Olan Mills do-able,Erik is advising Mickey to smile and hold still.

 

Photo  below was taken  when I was the exact same age as Flora Jane is today. I remember the day in detail,  The weather that day, sitting on the  bathroom rug on top of the washing machine in our  basement- wearing my favorite shoes and  green plaid dress. I had a bruise on my leg and I was wearing  embroidered "Tuesday " under pants.  Memory so vivid it could have been five minutes ago.  Memory of early childhood is sketchy but at age three it all began to jell- I remember most everything from then on. 

Today is also the day after the  Nation wide demonstration that will likely push the Orange "martial law" button. April 20th is the day, if the Orange thing decides to shut us all down by military force, curfews, check points- Iron block  control- armed white men every couple of blocks. 

 -0-

We went to Hungary in the 70's as students ,  an iron block country then- like stepping into a Soviet film. A man in a cafe pulled me aside and blurted  desperately  in pretty good English,  a hushed, "I love you, please.  OK ,Take me with you?"  "I can not."  I answered, making me sadder than I was before.

We were stopped at 10:00 P. M. by two armed military , threatening jail  - we were out after curfew.  We had a handler during the day- who controlled  where we ate, where we walked and what theater we went to.  Probably a lot like visiting North Korea these days. Anyway , a bit unsettling,  but  we were alright because we would only be there for a week. We saw propaganda plays and concerts and art in the  Glorified Hungarian  museums. It was dark but not  like Orange martial law is certain to be.  

Trudy sent this photo from the demonstration yesterday, and I do believe it is my favorite. 

Glacier, a little mountain town north of here turned out on their road- . mostly concerned about public land, clear cutting the parks , murdering Smokey the bear,  the usual Orange  threats. 

Prevent fascist liars.
 
 
 
Dog is protesting  Doge, pronounced "Doggie" by those in the know. 

 

Over 6,000 people showed up in both counties here. That is about 7% of the population, nice showing. Nice vent. Probably the last...

This nation is so weakened at this point it would be a perfect opportunity for some other nation to fly into a tall building of importance and cripple this county further.  Stranger things have happened...

I will likely disappear this post- I am feeling my shoulder hairs standing up- that feeling you get when you are being followed on a dark night , walking through a dark alley. But then I get real- what sort of threat is an old woman who walks around in slippers all day and forgets to put her panties on to go to the store? Unless, of course, the Orange needs a cleaner in the labor camp. There is that.

I could crawl across the border in the dead of night, I suppose- probably NO ONE has thought of THAT!




29 comments:

  1. There's a post up on twitter about the best posters during the marches. The cunt lady was on the list. That is just excellent. The market is expected to open tomorrow low enough that the stop loss things are triggered. The Japanese market has already hit that point. Fucking Congress could stop this by removing his emergency declaration and right the ship a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are of the "Trust in Trump" cult thought. "Just hold on, trump's agenda will take time and it will hurt a little but but ...." Under the orange spell. We can so see what is coming and yet....

      Delete
  2. That poster is my absolute favorite! The protests are good, but one thing that is troubling is the demographics, not enough young people like we've been seeing in Europe. And the f**king media here in the US are delinquent, they are not covering this, cowards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old folks who have been around the block, knowing full well what all of this crap means! The youngin's here in USA are all in video game land but also got slapped down by trumps army during BLM . Not doing that anymore!

      Delete
  3. You were a very skeptical looking child, eh?
    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how very observant- yes very much so. Skeptical and feisty and not buying it!

      Delete
  4. "They're eating the Checks, They're eating the Balances,"
    They're eating the wages (lives) of the people who live there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every single day is just awful here, I think. And watching the coverage of that young makeup artist rotting in the E.S. prison is just one example. Cruelty is the entire reason, I think, for Trump's being. Always has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trumpsters have cruelty at the top of their list- there seem to be no consequences for them- no accountability. Eventually they will die, everyone does, but some sooner than later...fingers crossed

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday, Erik!!! What cuties you both were—and are!
    I see the thrift store gene is strong in the family—Definitely an evolutionarily advantage! Cracks me up that your studio portrait was on top of the washing machine – – looks as good as any Sears studio portrait Cracks me up that you’re even remember your “Tuesday” undies – – you have a good memory.

    Wonderful signs (the count one!!!), wonderful creativity, wonderful outpouring of/coming together in solidarity around the country – – and a hurrah around the world—the Guardian had a nice round-up…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got nearly everything from the thrift store except that which came from Santa...Erik is a thrift store man, and it is good. Except for electronics and his new bike! AND his cake! Seeing creativity demonstrated everywhere was heartening- folks with brains still functioning! Your sign and Bink's zine among the absolute best! My childhood friend, Euleta, has the best memory of all- she even remembers things that I can not recall happening at all. I depend on her! But, yes, Tuesday pants- because I got the days of the week mixed up.I remember the mistake.

      Delete
  7. Is Olan Mills still around? I hope martial law is finally a step too far for republicans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olan Mills is not around here anymore- They took such corn ball portraits! Cheap! We have a few and they are terrible.

      Delete
  8. My mother knew Olan Mills' wife. Both from Chattanooga.
    Those really are priceless photos. I remember things from before I turned three but mostly horrible things. Who took the washing machine picture of that skeptical little girl? I wonder why plaid was such a big thing to make children's dresses in? I remember I had some plaid dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happy Birth Day, mama.

      Delete
    2. The neighbor man across the street took the washing machine shot. Mr. Meyers. A widower, short , looked like Groucho Marx to me. I loved plaid dresses, still do. Part of the "Orphan" appeal as well.
      Happiest birthday- ever in the world! Birth, most amazing!

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, Erik!
    I had a great time at our protest here and there were thousands with clever signs. It was so wonderful to be surrounded by people who feel the same way I do about this administration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the 5 million people who turned out was doubled it would have a significant effect. Twelve million people get attention- five million is a yawn. Especially to the orange wretch.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to Erik - spittin' image of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are blond! But he is a smart blond, his mother not so much...Some of the blond jokes are valid.

      Delete
    2. WHAT!!? No!!! You have a bright and lively creative intelligence Linda Sue!!!

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday Erik! Love all the signs, especially the cunt one.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some bold women out there! My jam!

      Delete
  12. I watch and wonder what I would do if it was my country. Happy Birthday Erik and hope he enjoys the new bike. (SiL calls hers the robot bike.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my first impulse is always to flee! But where to go? We would not be welcome anywhere, number one, and number two, Dennis is adverse to leaving his comfort zone. So we stay, and wait...YIKES!

      Delete
  13. Happy B-day to Erik. Love the photo of you, Erik and Mickey. A keeper for sure. The Boston protest was a great turn-out. Lots of University students and professors along with the rest of us. Sadly, very little news coverage. Journalists are fearful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be frightened but isn[t that the plan? shut down journalism, education, health system, shut it all down, except for Cory Booker, he can do the heavy lifting! Corporate news is shite!

      Delete
  14. If they hired me to be a cleaner in a labor camp they'd probably end up shooting me. I have a good article to share with you about the insurrection act. You probably know more about it than I do but it was fascinating. I need to get my post up before it is REALLY old news. The photos of you and Erik are just wonderful -- all of them. And three cheers to Erik. Happy "New Year!"

    ReplyDelete