My Blog List

Friday, April 4, 2025

fat cherry arms, thrift store, nursery prices



The cherry this year is the chubbiest it has ever been. Dense  blossoms that will not become cherries and have no pink in them this spring. It looks like a huge drift of snow from all of the windows facing the bay.  So huge that it covers the entire length of the deck. Well, almost. The plum , poor plum , has eeked out a bit of space.  A sad branch having been chopped while blooming, lies in the yard with another...we mourn.  The crows are cross!

I went out to get a houseplant that doesn't mind neglect and darkness. The nursery was EXPENSIVE!! Gobsmacked at the prices- I do wonder why plants have become impossibly expensive this year. .

I skipped buying any,  but took some photos of color.




From there I went to the thrift store to check out fabric and patterns. 

I took photos of a few things that caught my eye - only bought a large Revere ware stew pot and a bag of blue wool roving. The iron on transfers- I question!!! In the notions section along with all of the patterns- it did indeed stand out!  You see why...I should have bought it just to get it out of there.
 

The copper kettle was huge, pretty cool for a huge house with a huge stove, maybe.
A set of four Tea cups and saucers with birch trees on them. very pretty- I would break them in two minutes. Besides,the amount of tea that they would hold wouldn't be at all satisfying and my fat fingers would get stuck in the handle.

bright orange!

I caught the USA vase....and released it -back to the shelf. I don't need another vase, but isn't she charming! White matte  cream ware looks great anywhere, especially the bathroom. I have given all of my cream ware to daughter in law - am still drawn to it. 

No one is living in the squirrel house, I am sure it is full of bones and dead birds that could not get out. It is high up in the cherry tree, Max put it up there years ago.  He will have to come back to take it down, I guess. 


This is a disgruntled crow- wondering who murdered his favorite branches.
 


 


28 comments:

  1. Great "finds" in the thrift store. I suppose plants have become expensive in anticipation of this coming imposed recession. Make hay while the sun shines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the iron-ons, but wonder about the Friday bake day. I seem to remember baking almost everyday. Love the "if at first you don't succeed.."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wandering through the thrift store - enlightening...

      Delete
  3. Beauty of flowers is still priceless, even if owning them is costly! And thanks for sharing them with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers in the nursery were gorgeous- the prices for gorgeous I can not justify.

      Delete
  4. Bursting out with beauty. . . ALL IS PLUMPNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That vase would have come home with me without doubt. It's a beauty.
    I saw some bright orange bakeware the other day at the Bad Girls thrift store and was intrigued but the name on it was Rachel Ray! She got a little imaginative with those.
    Our blossoms this year have been/are the best ever and oh, the pollen! Everyone is suffering. Still- worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could well be a Rachel ware - The bottom was worn but it certainly is a knock off of Danish, isn't it? The vase was difficult to leave behind, nice size, about nine inches tall and in perfect condition. Pollen has not hit us yet- it will.

      Delete
  6. Fun thrift store finds. (Well, except those dubious iron-ons.) You really do have great thrift stores in your area! Love the chubby cherry blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever make it up this way, bring an empty suit case!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely adore the design of the orange casserole pot - the handles best of all. I would take that home even if it meant replacing the oven racks to get it in the oven. And the vase - I agree that is magnetic. Best of all however the cherry blossom, fleeting beauty but beauty the renews year after year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this new age of nothing being dependable the cherry blossms come through right on time! It is grounding- a touch stone! I loved the casserole pot, too. Great design and color. My kitchen is tiny so everything must be well thought out before it comes home with me.

      Delete
  8. Respacing NOT replacing - I typed it three time and the spollclocker still knew better it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happens on my computer all of the time- I sound like an idiot because i don't always check to see what shenanigans the spell checker has been up to behind my back!

      Delete
  9. What beautifully chubby cherry blossoms!
    Those embroidery iron-ons... what?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? that is what I thought!! How did that even get in the store? I should have bought it, and buried it.

      Delete
  10. Your cherry tree is blooming spectacularly well. Does it bloom like that every year? Poor plum is struggling in the bloom department. Maybe it will recover next year.
    You are so right. The garden center pricing is at an all-time high. Yesterday, I bought 4 Purple Bellflowers and kind of justified the price because they are somewhat invasive, and I have the perfect space for them to grow and spread.
    Then, while leaving I saw a Japanese Andromedia in full bloom and could not leave it behind.
    The cashier said: "Come back next week and we will be fully stocked." I better stay away...for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a removed plum branch - that is why it looks so sad. Why are plants so expensive???
      Purple bell flowers sound lovely- I wonder if deer think so too?

      Delete
  11. Wow! The cherry tree blossoms look fabulous!! I've got daffodils and forsythia blooming - so lots of bright yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright yellow is the first out of the ground in spring! Just to get us all in the mood, I think! The cherry tree is especially plump this year!

      Delete
  12. I have a cookbook (very vintage) with similar illustrations as the iron ons. They sure do tell us about a different time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a time that the gop wants to return to...Slavery, discrimination, silencing women, the usua horrors of this nation's history. Tough times, Jeanie!!

      Delete
  13. The cherry tree is magnificent, abundant, I haven't done the shops around her is quite a while. Should probably get out and do some catch and release of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like therapy- shopping but not shopping...

      Delete
  14. Oh, the blossoms! So beautiful. I just got back from a plant sale where everything was overpriced. What a world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ouch I KNOW!!! I am not sure why plants are so overly priced...Especially annuals (?)

      Delete