My Blog List

Wednesday, March 26, 2025

Actual sky! old Kenmore, world from the deck


Good  day from the deck- morning sky over the cherry tree and the plum blossoms with the neighbors dryer vent steam in the background. It is a great day- so far. I roasted the hen and the Yam and finished all but  the hemming and sleeves for Flora's nightie . It  is so large she may have to keep it in the drawer until she is twenty! The pattern used has been a challenge. It made very little sense so I had to wing it a bit. Badly. Anyway, I have to measure Flora to figure this out better.

So that is that. The cold has subsided and I am nearly in fighting form, IF by fighting form one means more interested in eating chocolate eggs,  watching the  birds on the feeder,  participating in raccoon  parties ,  and the possibility of  cutting out another nightie ! This time knowing what I am getting into.  The flannel is cute, there is that-  the final product is  compromised - lack of skill ,lack of  eyesight and the rickety machine used.  I used an old  basic Kenmore Brother -  forward and backward stitching , easy to understand. It is a lightweight machine from the sixties  , dances around the table while being used.  

I think that I have just talked myself out of another attempted project.

My friend in Seattle rides her bike to the lake every day, dips herself into the freezing cold water, rides her bike to the college, sits in the  sauna, bikes home again and then goes for a walk. I would love to harness some of that energy! On her walk she found pussy willows and picked some. Sent them to me in a tube through USPS. Remarkably they made it here!

It is going to take herculean effort to rebuild this county after being gutted. The post office seems to be the first to go, though DeJoy has been doing it little by little for years. We could see this coming. The PO can no longer be trusted to deliver. Letters/cards/ a fiver in a birthday wish  are bygones of  better days. Geez, remember the good old days- like ...last November!  The destruction train is a fast moving POS.

Last night's sunset , mediocre on the deck but on the water-  Maxfield Parrish fantastic!



Photo nicked from Next Door. Not sure if it has been enhanced.

The sun is out- the chives  and nettles are  encouraged.  I would be too if I was not such a moaner.  Moan I must. There is so much territory to cover...The latest is social security- kiss its sweet ass goodbye. 


By late afternoon the rains will return, so sayeth the meteorologists. Along with thunder and lightening , HOPE so! Cathartic! Knowing how our little corner up here escapes the worst of weather usually, we may just get rain without  drama. 

Also learning what to boycott- which is nearly everything but the farmers' market...Allegiant Air is a huge supporter of  Project 2025 - Middle son is an Allegiant pilot and has been for years ,even though his politics are opposite. His coworkers are Trumpsters, lots of Mormons, idiots ,to be fair- they can keep a flight in  the air so I guess that is the purpose.  Businesses and companies are not at all threatened by boycotts, thinking that it is temporary action, not big enough to matter,  and soon folks will be back because- where else are they going to go?   Still it gives us some personal satisfaction doesn't it.



 


26 comments:

  1. Boycotts exercise the muscles of our Free Will. Like biking to the shore to take a cold dip!
    Bracing!

    The nightie!!! So complicated, with its collar and waistline—
    Mine would be a tube.

    And how clever of your friend to send pussy willows in a tube.

    A friend is a Vietnam vet—his father sent him a fresh Christmas tree in a tube the year he was in Vietnam!
    It got to him too, just a grunt in a platoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tree was an awesome gift! I took a flight to south Texas from way up here, carrying a christmas tree, 3',small , fragrant, and something my folks appreciated so much!! Living in south Texas - UGH!! Dumbest place on earth. Boycotts I think are personally empowering. I did not buy or eat grapes / lettuce for years!!! I felt personal triumph when the UFW succeeded. YAY that is how it's done!

      Delete
  2. What was that in the 1st picture, could it be the sky? Really? :) Sounds like you might live, the AZ tribe is happy to hear that. Knock off the sunset pictures, will ya, you're killin' us here, we've only had one so far this year down here. Re that pic you snagged off Nextdoor, seriously oversaturated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overly saturated dramatic sky that really does not need all of that make up...The weather report tells us that a storm is on the way and will hit just about every state other than AZ! No rain for you. Tornadoes predicted for Oregon . Weather is angry!

      Delete
  3. love sky photos. here I like to go out early when the sun is just coming up and see what the cloud have to say. sunsets are worth watching for. here in the midwest we are going through the usual spring burning of the prairie fires which puts a hazy in the air along with the smell.
    by the way, are you looking for mentholatum made by the mentholatum company. try the grocery chain hyvee online. or let Fresca know and I will mail you some. I bought some today and feel like stocking up!
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good find!!! Mentholatum is such a staple . like milk/butter/ eggs- I am surprised that is is only available online, what if the satelites get bumped out of orbit? Morning sunrise is peaceful and pleasant, Birds love morning!

      Delete
  4. I just do not understand why Elump would ditch Social Security. They will gain no new followers and in fact, will lose millions. I think they're goal in everything they're doing is to ask themselves, "Is this cool and cruel?" If so, it must be done.
    Pretty sky pictures indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their goal is to take the money and run...to mars on Space X. it will only carry a few, trump will be left behind but musk , his 14 dumb children and maybe a new wife will be onboard.

      Delete
    2. NONE of Elon's rockets will make it to Mars, so far they have all exploded instead which is fine with me if they decide to take a ride together.

      Delete
  5. You did so well with the nightie, the fabric is adorable and she will love it. I like how you displayed it so nicely with the sleeve cuddling Paddington Bear! His little wellies are so cute! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought little Paddington after I went to Michael Bond's memorial in Saint Pauls- They were sold out in all of the proper shops but I found this one in a charity shop!! Lucky!

      Delete
  6. I think the nightie turned out great! So cute! I love your photos - beautiful!
    I think in the end they are too incompetent to succeed - that is my hope. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they all implode!
      The nightie is OK, I fudged the button on the back rather than making a button hole I used an elastic loop. Funky.

      Delete
  7. You have the most fabulous sky. Very dramatic and powerful.
    While on the topic of the sky, I had a dream that DT and EM decided to take a ride in a spaceship, it launched, and they could not bring it back to Earth. I woke up laughing. That would solve a few problems. Freudian slip?
    Flora's nightgown is outstanding. I love the collar, lines, and print. If you've perfected the pattern, I'd make a few more. Flora's going to love her new nightgown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfort is the thing with nighties, isn't it. So we shall see-Flora has very specific ideas...I will try again, I have another cute flannel of pink lambs. Maybe will be better the second go round.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful nightie - don't be so hard on your results (although I expect that sewing with deteriorating eyesight is harder than to continue say knitting in such circumstances). I wonder at your friend - shouldn't be sauna and then lake? I think I'd want to warm up after the lake even I'd Finns do it with cold shock at the end. Your posts are such wonderful roundup of daily eclectic- I enjoy them even if not commenting on each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think sauna first, then freezing lake , then sauna again ...And then a nap,preferably with a warm dog on the bed. Cold shock at the end sounds just awful! Gives me hives just thinking about it.

      Delete
  9. That's a terrific and creative friend to send the pussy willows. Beautiful! And love Flora's ensemble. That's really cute fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is adorable flannel, can't go wrong with baby animals, a comfort for sure. She may make up stories about them as she slips into slumber.

      Delete
  10. I’m going to be one of those old women going on about the things I’ve seen in my lifetime because dear god, the things I’m seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I remember when..." yes indeed our lives have been a steady battle , I reckon.

      Delete
  11. That nightie is excellent. Flora will love it. Just keep boycotting, resisting, protesting. It is making a difference. No one is taking the security breach quietly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even though the evil doers are playing down-"a little mistake"...the little mistake is gaining traction. We can never stop making noise and push back!

      Delete
  12. Love the sunsets. The nightie turned out well. Have you got little non-slip rubber mats you can put under the machine so it is steady to use? I'm not a fan of pussy-willows, but I'm glad yours made it there safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubber grips what a good idea! I am sure that I could find something in the everything drawer. Thank you , River

      Delete
  13. I love your picture of the deadnettles. I'll be interested to hear how the nightgown fits Flora! Maybe she's bigger than you think!

    ReplyDelete