My Blog List

Monday, March 31, 2025

A perfect day with Stella of the. best ideas!


Back door knob at the Train Wreck.

Pacific Northwest style.

 Lunch with Stella after having gone to the gallery on Camano Is. We spent part of  the day in  our favorite little antique shop  before going to the outdoor/indoor gallery. 10 Acres of outdoor sculpture through the most magnificent old growth cedar. Always a pleasure to go there. The exhibit inside was First Nation art.




Tops of paint tins uses as pallets
shiny stainless steel

The ten acres are full of sculptures, I have taken blogworld there before  -the art is ever changing. Some of my favorites  have been sold or returned to the artists- still so much to see. The weather did cooperate. One drop of rain. 






Inside the gallery was a bit sparse, First nation art not abundant. There were a few things that caught my fancy.



 Eastern Woodland woman dress, From the fur trapper era, detachable sleeves. Awl case, sheath for skinning knife, striker, garment of thick fur felt, beaded embroidery,  hammered silver talismans .

Doe dew claw bag.
Stopped to get gas outside of the car wash along the way.
 


Alongside the road.Blow up Easter.

Stella gave me a very large box of builder's tea- ordered from Ebay, outdated pyramid  bags , the best!  I will not need to buy PG Tips ever again in this lifetime!  My purchase of the day - an acrobat cat. There were two dogs in the shop that I gave a thought to but left them .        disciplined am I.


End of a perfect day- Came home to the cherry tree  blossoms, early this year! In spite of the shite weather, she blooms! Generally she does not bloom until April 6th, birthday of oldest (58) and youngest (38) sons. Same day makes it easier to remember....


 

18 comments:

  1. Yes, another perfect day with Stella. I would love to wander those 10 acres. And that dress is outstanding. Modern homogenous clothing is so boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days with Stella are always fun- wish you coud have gone with us! You would love the lushness of the forest!

      Delete
  2. In my opinion, the dress makes everything else look so very pale in comparison. There are some nice pieces. I love the reclining woman. Still- someone spent so many hours on that garment. Do you suppose it was meant as a gift? Does it have any known history?
    I love it when you and Stella have a day together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://stitchinguphistory.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-native-american-women-wore-pre_28.html
      The dresses go way back- you can google Eastern woodland women's dress and see images of them- still worn today probably ceremonially. But yes indeed. it is a marvel and very pratical , if one is to skin animals.

      Delete
  3. You and Stella explore the most wonderful places. The gallery and outdoor sculpture park are amazing. The hand work on the early garment is beautiful and impressive. Is it a historic replica or a restored original? The gallery is lucky to have it and present the history.
    We have the DeCordova Museum and outdoor Sculpture Park in Lincoln, MA. It is mostly rotating contemporary art and is sometimes of interest to me, but not always. That said, the sculpture park never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I go out with Stella I want to burst into "Oh it's a jolly holiday with Stella"...She even picked me up and dropped me off back at home, that is miles out of her way.
      The "strap dress" is still made and worn in that culture! This one is fairly new I think. What a piece of work!! Gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. The dress is outstanding. You can take us here any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou , I will drag you along with us next time, too!

      Delete
  5. Ya know, you & Stella find the most interesting places! The First Nation exhibit was excellent, even if sparse, thx for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few amazing baskets in the exhibit that made me swoon! Pine needle intricacies! On of the artists was Shoshone from northern Wyoming. Contemporary native themes.

      Delete
  6. I like the sculptures and the acrobatic cat, but the best is that Woodland outfit. All that amazing embroidery! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible dress! Around the back of it were three exquisite bags each serving a woodland purpose for carrying what is needed.

      Delete
  7. I'm jealous of you lunching at the Train Wreck. I love that place! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best salad ever! Chicken, avocado and cucumber!

      Delete
  8. What a fun place to wander around with a good friend.
    That dress - gorgeous AND functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I like about it too- functional,. all sorts of tools carried in beautiful purposeful bags!

      Delete
  9. I love the acrobat cat! The sculpture garden looks pretty fantastic, too, but I think I like that porcupine artwork the best. I'd have bought it!

    ReplyDelete