On my way back from the post office, I stopped in at the thrift store. Wandered around with this antler under my arm thinking it may be fake, but just in case it was not, I hung on to it. Not fake.
Four people stopped me and asked if I was going to buy it and if not could they.
No, sorry, I am going to keep it.
I also bought a cheeky tin and a revere ware pan with lid from the forties, in excellent nick.
The Nation came a few days ago- packed with good articles, one being about drummers in rock and roll , and Steve Jordan now touring with the Stones. The article is primarily about the importance of drummers, the backbeat, the "push and pull"- it is a complex instrument and, as everyone is aware, can either make or break a band. The Stones were damned lucky to get Steve Jordan. So they tour on, without
Charlie but doing very well, no slowing! And Jordan is a star!
I can not imagine life without the Stones- they have been a constant since 1962- the bad boys!! In 1965 during university week ends, we drove to a small town in Colorado from Wyoming to drink 3.2 beer and dance to the Stones. "Satisfaction" a hundred times.. They have become like family in our emotional lives, like big brothers whom we idolize , but are too cool to be anything other than separate from the family. Anyway, it is a nice article in The Nation- straight forward, not goofy fan based worship.
Dennis sent this in an email- that has nothing to do with anything other than FIRE!
Canada Oh Canada .







The artist got Keith so well, up to and including the two wedding bands he wears on his left hand. They have been with us forever. We are lucky.
ReplyDeleteFlora is going to love that card.
Nice antler!
And his gnarly fingers and stance, so good!
DeleteI am glad I did not have to trapse through lion infested forest to find the shed!
CHEEKY SWEET SPOT!
ReplyDeleteI see the Stones's power and appeal, for sure! . . . but I never cared for them.
Please still be my friend?
That does not surprise me - you are more cerebral I think.
DeleteMaple loves the Cheeky Sweet Spot, she is going to open up a shop...
I was on an airplane with the Stones in 1966 when I was 16 on a flight from California to Hawaii, back when they flew commercial. they were in first class and the attendants kept the curtain closed. I was in coach and had no idea. they wouldn't let us deplane for the longest time and when I finally got off the people meeting me were ecstatic. did you see them? who? the Stones! I didn't believe them until I saw all their amps and shit being unloaded. we went to their concert the next night.
ReplyDeleteYou were not nosy enough- should have peeked behind the curtain!!
DeleteI was always more Beatles than Stones, but it IS amazing what a constant the Stones have been.
ReplyDeleteIt was not an either/or situation for me- I loved them all! I reckon that the Beatles were more approachable - Cute and clever.
DeleteStones were more like" Keep your distance or you may get hurt..."
I'm hoping we make history with Kamala.
ReplyDeleteI still use the Revere ware I got years ago from my Mom and Dad.
Oh, all those fires are scary.
Revere ware is timeless and strong! I want to be Revere ware!
DeleteOh I love that tin! Looks like the orphans approve too. Do you remember the sticky fingers album that had a working zipper on the cover? I still have mine but alas no turntable.
ReplyDeleteXoxo
Barbara
Oh wow, you are lucky!! You kept it even though no turntable!!! Some one would pay you handsomely for that album!
DeleteFor me the best years of the Stones were the Mick Taylor years, 1969 to 1974, he was so good, but I don't think he got along with Keith. That friction combined with too many drugs was too much for him. Jagger and Richards amaze me, especially Richards, he must have a constitution like a locomotive to still be alive and functioning.
ReplyDeleteKeith is made fromgood stuff, no doubt, Not s mean bone in his body, other than maybe a bar room brawl that one time... A humble, honest, down to earth, artist- not seeking all of the attention - Give that to Mick who thrives on it.
DeleteI agree, a Locomotive! That is a great description!
It is amazing that the Stones are still going strong. On occasion, I find antlers on my property. I had no idea they were in demand. I love the card you found for Flora. She must be excited about her upcoming party.
ReplyDeleteShe is asking EVERYONE- "Are you coming to my party?"
DeleteAntlers are in demand- they are very expensive!
I am full of admiration for the Stones, who just keep on keeping on because it's what they love to do, though I was never a huge fan, liking only some of their songs. The tin you found is pretty, the antler, well, not so much, not for me anyway. Have fun at Flora's party.
ReplyDeleteAntlers for me are nostalgic, homesick blues sort of decor...Wyoming, you understand. And they are graceful.
DeleteThe birthday card is great. Is Flora going to have a badger cake? It's a good thing her party is in the park with all the people she's expecting to be there ;-)
ReplyDeleteALL of the people!! The park will be full!
DeleteThe Rolling Stones - how long will they go!? I've always been a fan of percussion.
ReplyDelete