My Blog List

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

sleep no sleep

This is the only photo I took on the night of the worst adventure ever- just one box of three that were on my chest to carry with me to  try to sleep. Wired from all over my head to the bottom of my legs, around my middle and boobs- so many wires the technician put a scrunchie around it all so that I did not strangle myself in my supposed sleep. I may have slept about 45 minutes in all. It was cold and too bright , uncomfortable.  All of that was to be expected, of course, but I had not counted on the technician guy to be Mr. Personality from the circus of "have I got a story for you!"! Actually he was a very nice man AND he was like popcorn, and Tigger, boing boing - Chat chat chat loudly- I may have said a total of six words. it took him three hours to wire me up - then he left me standing in the middle of the room with the  too bright lights on full blast. WTF, dude. What am I supposed to do now??? I turned the lights off , got on the bed with a thin blanket and froze a little bit before, what seemed like hours later, he came back.

It gave me time to consider the decor. The walls yearned to be painted, they were probably nice in the seventies, a  sort of Puce beige grey yellow- chipped and faded to Un-color to match the un-color stripy carpet.  His voice came into the room to "wake" me up in the morning- - "lllliiiiiinduhhhhh".

Anyway, I did not sleep , had to come home at about 5:00 am and take a long nap. The data collected , he said, was enough to determine that I am normal and do not need a device. 

 I will not be doing that again and if I die of a stroke or heart attack because I forget to breath  - the onus is on the so called sleep clinic. 

Moving on to better news...

This is Stella the Bella of Books at AL. She's a darling , no doubt, and very knowledgeable about all things booky. We have our plans planned to go to Palm Springs in October for a week, not long enough probably




Tonight I went over to Flora's house and held her baby brother for a longggg baby fix. Delicious! She will be going to school in September- Fresh three year old already going into the world of academia...She will show them all how it is done! 

Here is the gate that is for sale along with it's house- you may remember this gate and the sweet little garden it protects from older posts.  I hope the new owners keep it.



 



 

18 comments:

  1. The sleep test sounds more like a nightmare. I had no idea so many wires would be involved!
    I like that gate though it isn't something I'd want in my yard. Flora off to preschool where she will learn all the things in a week and be star of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. How can anyone get a proper sleep study under those conditions? No, no, no.
    That just seems absurd.
    Glad that you and Ms. Stella are going to have a get-away. I think you will have more fun than the law allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will probably get arrested, I am sure. Stella craves the sun and a pool so it is really her cup of the best tea ever invented.

      Delete
  3. Sleeping with all those wires seems next to impossible. At least your test result showed no sleep problems for you. Your trip with Stella to Palm Springs will be good fun. It is always nice to get away and explore. I suspect Flora will love school and she'll have stories to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I question the accuracy of data considering that I did not sleep, The same thing happened to one of the boys- he went in , did not sleep and they gave him the OK. He has the worst apnea we have ever witnessed. He went in again and sure enough, has a machine now. Saved from droopy days!

      Delete
  4. Seems more like a no-sleep study. Do the people doing the study know what sleeping is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The technician was a helecopter mechanic, in which he excelled so...maybe he never does sleep. He was all about the wiring!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, what a loss of a night! Just terrible! And you survived at the end, just to be told the whole ordeal was for nothing. Well, perhaps a good feeling that you don't need a C-PAP to sleep with. Being normal isn't easy. I wouldn't know. Yes to baby vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The machines that I tried were burdensome so yes, If the results are legit it is fabulous!!

      Delete
  6. Good that you don't need a C-PAP machine; bad that you had such an awful night with the sleep study. Enjoy your getaway with Stella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyment will be had, if only to sit around in the sun by the pool with a spritz!

      Delete
  7. Yikes! That is a maze of wires for sure, reckon being a helicopter mechanic is a good prerequisite for understanding that mess. But if the subject is unable to sleep how is the data that is gleaned valid? Hmmmmmmmmm............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about any of it. But now I have the OK to carry on unencumbered by a C-Pap machine...The helicopter mechanic said so.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of wires! There is definitely an at home method of testing, with just a few wires that hook you up electronically through your phone. I know several people who were sleep apnea tested through this method. I think it would have been easier on you all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try the at home kit. I slapped the wires out of my nose when I was asleep, so that did not solve anything.

      Delete
  9. You have to sleep on your BACK? Remind me never to do one of those. I say you are far more tolerant than I -- I would have walked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure but sleeping on one's side is better, just awkward with all of that gear.

      Delete
  10. Little children are too young and tender to go to school, though for some it will be the best thing in the world, an opening to things they never realised existed.

    ReplyDelete