Today I went to a sale, staring Stella- I only intended to take lunch for her and have a quick look around.
My other friend , Lisa, was selling the dregs of her antique shop having had many sales already.
Of course I found things in her stash that I pretty much had to have or I might die, probably.This little mirror with doors , broken at the top, mirror having lost most of its silver, was of course meant to be mine. The small celluloid animals also had to come home with me.
As well as the angel missing an arm and a wing that is about to fall off- Had to have it...
A christmas wreath pin of old bottle brush-
A pile of tiny folks that I can use in glitter globes.
Had to have the tiny felt boots with the nursery rhyme braid around the tops. A pair of Paddington Bear's boots and a very tiny shoe stay which I did not take a photo of.
The pièce de résistance , though, was the first thing I saw and bought for two dollars- The plastic man with a parachute- We played with these when the kids were little. The strings usually got so tangled that the parachute never worked properly and the guy just fell - a suicide mission. Anyway, I have not unpacked his chute and am hoping that it will hang somewhere in the south sector of our house...feng shui, you understand.
SCORE,right?
So that was fun, came home and sent Stella this house listing because
Kind of cute, close to the university, more than a bit run down. Let's look inside...Five bedrooms? The other two were closets...What a bargain, eh?
Clearly they didn't have time to make it all neat and tidy for real estate photos. Houses here are just that crazy and they do sell, as is! Insane!
So that's the day, a bit of joy and silly and a bit of WTF.
Oh, I bought one more thing from Lisa...little sleeping cat.
and a plastic necklace which she said I could have for free! Ok, I love it, I will wear it when I am feeling fancy, and you just know that I feel fancy all of the time.















That house definitely looks like student housing, except for the elaborate wall of framed photos -- doesn't seem like something a student would do. I bet it will be super cute when fixed up, though.
ReplyDeleteYou find the most interesting acquisitions. It really IS amazing how much stuff is in the world.
Humans are all about stuff, stuff is easy and abundant. Goes against our grain to not acquire and have stuff- so I go with the flow...that is my excuse for no self discipline.
DeleteI love the red felt boots, are they people sized or doll sized? Love Paddingtons boots too. My Paddington doesn't have boots nor his little suitcase either.
ReplyDeletethe little boots are only 3.5" long- for a baby child.
DeleteHow do people live like that? I wonder if the cat litter next to the toilet has ever been cleaned or replaced. Ugh. And to post pictures like that to sell the house. I swear- real estate in Bellingham must be insanely expensive.
ReplyDeleteI love your little finds and of course you had to have them. They are not clutter. They are tiny treasures.
They are tiny treasures and do not take up much space- just more clutter because that is how some of us do life! Real estate in Bellingham is one of the most expensive places in the states. The houses are dumps selling for crazy prices, nothing stays on the market for very long either! People are moving here in droves- Climate migration!
DeleteI am pretty sure the house photos were taken while the renters were there. Owners would not be allowed to tidy up! One wonders if the renters ( likely students here) do it deliberately to thumb a nose? It will be fixed up and be adorable, JanF
ReplyDeleteThat could very well be- also my thought exactly. The renters do not want the house sold out from under them. Clearly students with no sense of how to live on their own. Still the price of the run down house with no garden, yard - backed up against the alley with no fence, is absurd!
Deletethat house looks like the ones here that are for sale: no curb appeal, stuff/trash left in the yard, when i lived in alexandria, va there was none of that. the for sale houses were immaculate. i wonder if this is the trend in selling. and wonder what the mess is hiding.
Deletekirsten
pretty sure there are cooties hiding!
DeleteYou scored some cute little doo-dads...lots of crafty opportunities from them! What a mess of the tenants, but a sound enough little house!
ReplyDeleteNot sure if the house is solid or not- it is old and has been trashed so not sure if it is a deal or not.
DeleteThat house is gross! I'm shocked it would go for such a large amount of money!
ReplyDeleteSweet treasures for you!
Houses are insane here.
DeleteI would be in such trouble in that sale. And we would have been fighting for the little wooden people and the red boots with the great trim!
ReplyDeleteIt was a scramble between me and my friend Amy to get our clutches on the little red wool boots- they are wonderful!
Deletewonderful purchases! the little boots with embroidery are to die for.
ReplyDeletekirsten
tiny anything usually catches my eye- but tiny shoes- I can not pass them by! The little boots are indeed a treasure.
DeleteYikes! That house is a horror, never mind the price. Better be a cash sale, hard to believe it would appraise at $800K........
ReplyDeleteAnd you know...it will sell!
DeleteYou had a very successful quick look around. I love sales like this and always come home with some treasures. Real estate is very over priced yet everything is selling. A friend's daughter with her new husband lived with mom for a few years while saving to buy a house. They needed cash to successfully buy. Even with cash, it was a bidding war among multiple buyers. Crazy market.
ReplyDeleteWOW, I thought it was bad when we bought back in the 80's. This is absurd, I feel so bad for young families trying to get a leg up in this market!
DeleteOh, that house is a trash pit. I hope there isn't serious damage beneath the piles.
ReplyDeleteThere very well could be- looks like it has not had any attention at all.
DeleteI love all your finds, especially the little people and the angel violinist. That house seems very expensive and what a shambles. People here work very hard to 'stage' a house for sale and prices vary wildly across the (relatively small) country. I don't know how young people get on the housing ladder these days - very worrying.
ReplyDelete