That fat faced one towers over our heads!
Daughter in law gave Dennis sunflower seeds for Christmas. In the spring he babied the starts and had two trays full of sprouts. Some are still trying to be sunflowers but these are the only successful ones at the moment. The birds are happy about them- one has already turned seedy, leaving potential babies on the ground . They will not germinate though - rabbits and squirrels and Blue Jays won't allow seeds to be left on the fertile soil. They eat every single one.
I went for a little walk through the neighborhood just now to see if it is still my favorite. There are a few changes that are not the best- Gardens being removed- if you can believe that- houses being built, houses for sale, new families moving in with dogs who don't know me. Bark-barkitty-bark.
The mini orchard has become a mini park, sit on the bench in the shade in the way back, and contemplate change, I suppose. My favorite shed/cabin has fallen down and been removed entirely. All of my friends have moved away, evening strolls are not neighborly events anymore.
Blackberries in the alleys are not great this year either. They are confused like the tomatoes. Weird weather disrupted their usual growth- they are pouting.They also are not as abundant as past summers. Get used to unpredictability , I guess that is our new mission for success of the species. Adapt, quickly.
Not an inspiring walk, I must say. Plus , since I have not been doing much but playing with glitter and sitting around in a large way, my legs forgot how to walk. I lurch. My feet get in the way, I stumble. Pathetic. No excuse other than being a spoiled lazy brat. I am getting so good at it, I am killing myself being lazy.
* Snap out of it* Or die!












The sunflowers! The Buddleia, The Madrone tree, all so amazing and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe sleep thing with all the attachments to monitor is not so beautiful, but if it helps and you get to sleep better, that's a plus.
Apnea may have already caused much brain damage and damage to the heart- so good thing I am going to go to the sleep clinic- may give me more energy I am hoping.
DeleteSleep studies are something to endure, get it over with, (hopefully get a C-PAP machine,) and then catch up on sleep lost during the study sleep. When I had one they actually woke me up and told me it was time to go home. I insisted on coffee at 5 am. As I got my coffee, I passed rooms where others were undergoing the same thing, as well as the nurses station where the monitors for each room were being observed by one or two nurses. Just the way they had it set up in Asheville NC. Have a good snooze!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the sleep study. How do they expect anyone to sleep with all of that? I'd probably blow out the microphones coughing into them. And pull off electrodes as I tossed and turned. Great close up pix. Love 'em all.
ReplyDeleteI guess I will find out - how does one sleep with all of that? I don't know!
Deleteit's too damn hot here to walk, high summer. and the two months before that I was required to rest and take it easy and recover form one thing after another. no walking, no yoga makes me and the dog unfit. my son did a sleep study and they gave him an apparatus to wear when he sleeps. he doesn't particularly like it.
ReplyDeleteYou have had a particularly unfun summer, Ms.Ellen!
DeleteI hope that is behind you now and you are ready for a cool autumn in perfect health!
Oh, I am sorry to hear such sadness in your post. I like how you search out the beauty around you and wish you felt more happiness. I hope the sleep study gives you helpful answers so that you might have a better sleep in the future and feel better.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am happy- happy about Kamala and Tim!
DeleteYour neighborhood may have changed but it still has lots of beauty in it.
ReplyDeleteHank loves his apnea machine. He says that if he had gotten it earlier, his life would have been entirely different. I think that's a pretty stellar testimony.
Thank you - Hank only speaks the truth so yes, that is great!
DeleteChange is always hard. My dad used to complain about things changing. "I hate change!" he said. And still, things changed.
ReplyDeleteThat Spanish fir looks something like a monkey-puzzle tree. An especially dense one. I wonder if they're related?
You might find if you deadhead the daisies that they'll bloom longer, though I know that's a fairly tedious job.
Change is sometimes great- But when one is sentimental about the neighborhood- lack of joy does creep in.
DeleteI hate it when neighborhoods change for the worse. we had one like that back in West Seattle and it was a pretty sad thing to go through.
ReplyDeleteDisappointing changes, and they seem to happen overnight- time is a trickster! Land is more valuable than the cute bungalows and cottages and gardens that sit there so - bulldoze it all and put up a large no garden box to house many. $$$
Delete"you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your neighbors". Sad but true. They can change at any minute.
ReplyDeleteBut speaking of noses, I hope you do stellar on your sleep test! I await the first episode on YouTube.
Despite the changes in your neighborhood, the landscape and plantings look robust and quite beautiful. I hope you get some answers from the sleep study. The sleep study sure does involve a lot of wiring.
ReplyDeleteYes, I know- it is all relative, right? The neighborhood is by far one of the best on the planet though it is changing and quickly...not like the neighborhood that it was. Old story- same old same old...
DeleteSo many in my family sleep with a machine. My sister, both daughters. Hope yours goes very well.
ReplyDeleteIt went terribly...
Delete"*Snap out of it* Or die!"
ReplyDeleteI need this as a tattoo on my forearm!
I had such a lovely first-half of summer, doing NOTHING. Then I got up and realized I cannot do-nothing at this age (63)--I seem to have reached a tipping point--to which your truth fully applies:
SNAP OUT OF IT OR DIE
You are right- it would make a great tattoo !! Yes, keep moving girl, you are still a youngin' - many many years ahead of you so stay lubed and running smoothly! I rarely take my own advice...
DeleteI'd be worried about sleeping, or trying to sleep, in front of others. It seems so rude, really ;-)
ReplyDelete