My Blog List

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Don't TEMU, Slow dance, Lizzie on her cushions


 The solar lights never fail to come on when the sun goes down. These from TEMU two years ago have lasted beyond expectation. Stella had some in her garden, made it look magical- I ordered two. One did not work but this one continues.  And TEMU, as you may know is dirt cheap- not caring too much about WHAT they sell or for how cheap, Temu is a data collecting site.  Chinese getting all of the data available so that they can do their shady business...whatever that may be- malware.

I haven't ordered anything from them after finding out how shady they are but that one time may have put me into their massive system. ( as though we all aren't already)

-0-

My friend Lizzie, who has been living in Norway for the past few years, sent this photo in an email today. She has collected Norwegian folk needle work since her arrival, finding  them for nearly free in charity shops.  Like crochet lace table cloths here, they have fallen out of favor and the needlework is no longer valued. Liz will have an exhibition featuring these as well as her own art work which is also abundant. She has a farm and a barn- she just bought three sheep to keep her chickens entertained. They will also keep the growth of grass at bay. Sheep are wonderful . She will likely use the wool when it is time for haircuts.

Last night I went to Boomer's , bought a fish sandwich for me,  and a mushroom burger for Dennis- no carbs. While there waiting for my order the ancient music took me back to the cusp of childhood / teen. One of the songs was Connie Francis singing "Where the Boys are", which was such a good slow dance song. I wonder why "Where The Boys Are" has not become a gay anthem, maybe it has- it has been a long time that I have been in a gay bar, my preference of bars - they generally have a great vibe and more generous drinks and every one pretty much leaves me alone, surprise surprise.

Curious about what ever happened to sad Connie, I googled all I could about her. She is still among the living, though she has had a very violent, sad, sorry life, she is still hanging on. In my youth I was not particularly fond of her music- more of a Platters fan- but any reason to slow dance when we were in seventh grade was ok with me. 

"Where The Boys Are" is so strange- like there is a special land for keeping boys. I guess it was not strange back then as the dances were girls on one side boys on the other...until one boy brave enough to cross over asked a girl to dance broke the ice.  Keep the sexes separated- no worries. Oh yeah, that worked...

Some old folks say that they would love to go back- 
Dennis is one. There is no way I would make that my wish- for me to go back to youth , I mean. Dennis should make his wish come true, he missed so much being raised in a rather fundamental religious poverty-ish family in the sticks.  He could have had more fun...he should have had more fun. 

What else is life about?


 



18 comments:

  1. is it bad that as soon as i read "where the boys are" the melody had to pop into my head. and then had to find it on youtube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqTwlRN0h0 . i loved gingham as a teenager and made a two piece pink gingham with lace trim bathing suit. i told my aunt the suit looked like a bridget bardo one and i thought she was going to have the vapors. i don't know if i would want to go back -- i was bullied and made fun of in junior high and graduated a semester early in high school as i hated it. and need to keep an eye out for norwegian folk needlework -- they are stunning. so sad that the more interesting crafts are seen as boorish anymore.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just about everything needlework fascinates me. I imagine cold dark nights by the fire drinking whiskey and shoving a needle in and out of wool backing. I would love that life. Deemed as "old lady" I suppose, it has lost it's popularity. Oh yes, I loved gingham too, favorite orange and white - I wore that dress until it was not even worth making a button out of. Oh dear! Bridget Bardo- clutching pearls!! TART!

      Delete
  2. I think "Where the Boys Are" was a gay anthem almost immediately after it came out! But gay culture was so fragmented back then that the gays had to enjoy it under the radar. Yes, poor Connie has had quite a dramatic life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where the boys are- dang ! Where were they??? Radar had to be well and carefully tuned in! Especially in Wyoming- you can well imagine!

      Delete
  3. I'm avoiding TEMU since I doscovered they are data collecting. I was at their site once looking for tiny clothes for my redheads but didn't buy, they pop up on my opening page every day though with "bargains" .
    I remember Where the Boys Are, it was never a favourite song of mine though, my Dad liked her songs more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. China is taking over the world. Why not? Everyone else has had a go . . . and failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Authoritarian countries, ought to be given a go....Everyone - go to jail!

      Delete
  5. That first picture is just unbelievable. So is the one with Lizzie and her artwork.
    I've never ordered anything from Temu but I sure see their ads.
    Your slow-dancing song story reminded me that we slow-danced to Hey Jude which is about a four-hour song. Oh my god. I could write an entire volume on the intense sexuality of slow-dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slow dancing is better than S-E-X! Not as gooey...You can keep your hat on.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that needlework is fabulous! What a beautiful collection she has!
    I loved that song by Connie Francis, now I will hear it all day but that's all right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lyrics are odd but the melody is dreamy- floating around with that tune in my head gets things done in a peaceful manner...You are right!

      Delete
  7. Loved seeing the needlework collection and hearing about sheep and chickens. That was a fun slow dancing song, among many. Ah youth, when we'd dance for hours! No way I'd want to go back to all that angst! But maybe listen to the music...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a music fix at Boomers, always playing the car hop on skates songs...Good think going back is not an option- other than politically if rump gets in by the hair of his chinny chin chin...

      Delete
  8. The colors and patterns in the needlework are lovely. Life in Norway creating art and raising sheep and chickens sounds pretty ideal. Listening to the oldies brings back great memories of youth. Riding in my friend's Ford Mustang with the top down and music playing then on to the school dance. Our chaperones were pretty strict about dance floor antics. We got away with what we could. Fun memories. Going back...no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend in Norway does have a pretty great life! I love that she had the foresight to collect the needle work! Like a museum.

      High school days were shite! My fun memories did not start until years later after graduation. You had a friend with a Mustang convertible??? WOW- High roller!

      Delete
  9. Those days were fun, to be sure. But been there, done that. Don't need to do it again, though I wish I FELT the way I did back then, that's for sure. I love your friend Lizzie's collection -- fantastic. Rick's mom got sucked into Temu -- which probably means gullible Kitty is sucked into every scam that exists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TEMU is enticing and sometimes good things come to those who wait...Stella has furnished her mouse house with temu miniatures and it looks fabulous! Luck of the draw, I guess.

      Delete