My Blog List

Monday, November 13, 2023

What is it good for, absolutely nothing




 As long as there are humans , there will be war. The dioramas are housed in  science museum. Poppies this year are paper, no plastic. Armistice day was the usual well choreographed stellar ceremony ,  poignant two minutes of nationwide silence. 11/11@ 11. Amazing to have the city stop! Not  a good week end to go into the city, too crowded, plus the massive pro Palestinian march, so, I watched all of it onBBC one. Right wing drug/ alcohol fueled dumb asses disrupted the protest with violence, of course. The home secretary( one of them) was sacked because she took the lid off the crazy right wing nuts, gave them a boost.

The sorriest in the procession, were the “ lab rats”, as they call  themselves. The boys/ men sent to “paradise” they were told, to Christmas Island - thought they had won the lottery. Given sunglasses for protection, they endured , at close range, multiple atom bomb blasts, just to collect information. Everyone already knew what the bomb would do but were unsure of the long term  effects in a controlled blast. Needless to say there are but a handful of rats left, they are unwell, and they are bitter…given a newly minted medal at least there is recognition. No favor, no compensation. Cruel, as is everything war related.



In the middle of the Strand is this humble centuries old church. The stairs are so worn that exiting the building is like sliding down  a slide! This is the RAF church for veterans, a gathering place to honor their service, their pride, their sorrow, their camaraderie .
Another controversy this Veterans Day is the introduction of the black poppy especially recognizing black/ brown soldiers, diaspora of  colonies,  the ruling while male class objects, because….of course.




 Veterans day in the UK has more admiration and sentimentality, true respect,  than in the USA, where national patriotism seems to be aggression and shame , flag waving and false admiration.During the blitz in England , particularly in London, as you know,killed over 43,000 civilians, destroyed about 1.1 million homes and flats, and lasted continually, relentlessly,  for 8 months. It was a different war here back then. The nation worked together, hand in hand, while other nations waffled.”not my circus”….


9 comments:

  1. Europe understands first-hand the tragedy of war on the people who live there, who were bombed. The US just doesn't. When you haven't been invaded, I'm not sure you can fully know terror -- you can imagine it, but it's a lot different than running to get to shelter and then finding your home gone. I can see why the commemoration day is so much more sacred across the pond. The photos and what you shared here is thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The USA creates its own internal wars I reckon.

      Delete
  2. We Americans have such a false sense of security, having never been invaded.
    The thing is, of course, that we are being invaded from within by our very own. Somewhat less bloody but just as deadly, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on the same page with that one, Mary!

      Delete
  3. Watch J Draper, the London historian in YouTube for an excellent, well researched commentary on the myth of pulling together. I was a child in the UK then. I can attest to it. War brings out the worst in everyone. That's one of the horrors. We like to think we'd be the good guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wealth of videos , J Draper! Those will keep me busy ! I could not find the “ dog eat dog” one, but I suppose that is where the term “ I’m awright jack” came from?

      Delete
  4. Gratitude for your sharing. Sad for the recurring wars, suffering of everyone, especially the deniers and the promoters who profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans just war, that is what we do.

      Delete
  5. I think so many people have experience of war, even if mostly these days it is second hand. Almost nobody's family was spared from it. I must go into Mary-le-strand now that the road scheme has eliminated the constant streams of traffic that used to hem it in on both sides. It looks beautiful and I have never been inside.

    ReplyDelete