My Blog List

Saturday, November 4, 2023

Walking dissipates venom

Enthusiastic Halloween decor , on my way to catch the bus into town, for no specific reason , other than to get out of the flat for a full day of walking around aimlessly in glorious London. I packed my bags, in case of spider attack, left extra cash for the cleaner, apologizing for leaving her with very little to do. Tiny flat, I clean regularly. Inga, the cleaner has children to keep fed and in school uniforms. She is from Lithuania, feels trapped here in England but does not want to go back to her homeland. Employing  her is one nice thing Spider-Man has done, especially knowing that she is redundant during the time that I am here. Anyway, I packed my bags just in case . Spider is volatile.


And so, I walked. I went into churches and buildings and parks, I covered some ground!







 No perspective to show how large this tree is in Covent garden, a person of reasonable height would barely reach the middle of the barrel. I walked on, still the ju-ju of volatile spider would not dissipate. I walked the usual, Covent garden, Trafalgar , Charing cross, down the strand to the halls of justice, farther on down Fleet Street, going into buildings , churches and a pub along the way. I went to the pub to use the loo.a chain pull atop the toilet for the flush.






I learned of this pub from a friend. The olde Bank of England, pub, and was going to have sausage and mash and a half pint but it was too loud. I walked on.  More tomorrow, I am on my way out with Sarah , into the rain and chill to nunhead cemetery. Her father died last night.




18 comments:

  1. I hope you shrugged off the spittle and madness. condolences to Sarah. christmas trees and it's just the beginning of November. do they know christmas is only one day two months away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lights on Oxford street have been lit marking the season open! Retailers hoping for the best but the people are not in the mood…the expenses going higher every day. For folks having to choose heat or a tin of baked beans …pretty grim.

      Delete
  2. FRESCA here.
    Oh, no--Sarah's father died.... I remember when she was blogging that she often spoke fondly of going to see him and her step-mother. I am so sorry--I will send her an email.

    Yikes. Sounds like Spider-Man is perpetrating an abusive relationship on you.
    I'm glad you have London for respite, but that is worrisome to hear it's that bad. Is there anything I can do to help? Probably not, from this distance--just sayin'...

    BUT LONDON!!!
    So good!
    The seasonal tree is splendid!
    I see Rockefeller Center doesn't light its famous tree until after Thanksgiving, but in the Victorian home of the tradition, why not start now, as the days get darker and darker?
    I have put my star-lights in my windows--time change tomorrow will make it DARK at 5 pm here (MN).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah’s dad was Ill for a couple of months so I think going was a relief for all , he suffered unnecessarily.
      Spider-Man scares me.
      I am prepared to leave if he becomes even more irrational. Damn!
      Christmas in London is a thing to behold- jolly, full of sparkle and good will. May as well start early.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Tell Sarah I'm so sorry about her dad. So is SpiderMan living nearby? Is he likely to pop in on you? I thought maybe he was out of town and therefore would be easier for you to avoid. I hope you don't feel like you have to move! Hopefully he will simmer down.

    I've seen that big tree-in-a-bucket before. I think they bring it out every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needless to say, if you need a respite from Spider you are welcome in West Hampstead, though we'd have to put you on an inflatable bed!

      Delete
    2. That is most considerate you. Good hearted soul, but I will be fine. Not sure where Spider-Man is but I think I saw him yesterday on the street. If I feel too uncomfortable I will figure it out. Thanks though!,

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about Sarah's father.
    I'm also sorry to hear that Spider Man's venom is infecting you so. Are you going to be able to tolerate it for the full length of your stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about staying here now, it all depends …and like Andy said, the screamers are mostly just noise. He mst have terrible personal issues to deal with… ptsd maybe?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Christmas all year round I say! Meaningless retail!

      Delete
  6. Spider Boy is definitely not cut out to be an Airbnb host, one dos have to wonder why he chooses to rent his flat. Do be careful of him though, dude sounds pretty volatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct as usual, Jim. Mental!,

      Delete
  7. Dang it! I am so sorry he's sucking fun out of your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Sarah's father. You did get a nice walk in with lovely sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walks here are rewarding, I don’t even realize how far I have walked. My feet notice.

      Delete
  9. Lovely pub! and very nice loo, I wonder if it is original or craftily reproduction. If you have not been in to the Black Friar at Blackfriars, you might like to take a look.

    ReplyDelete