The day looked promising, as weather goes. Carol , favorite weather person , has been making weather happen on BBC for about 23 years. Her delightful personality and lilting Scottish accent carries the nation through the worst and best weather. When she starts her report it is always “gud morrrning” smiling effortlessly, and everyone believes that , yes, it is a good morning no matter if the weather is shite.
Sunshine expected for the day so I planned to spend it outside. The sixteen and a half acre garden/ park at the Horniman museum not far from here looked just right. Fewer people , interesting garden, beautiful overlook of the city in the distance.
It is a nature paradise, all sorts of plants , some unexpected , tropical and dessert , and a small area for farm animals. Art crops up throughout the walk. Musical art with hammers hanging along the sides to play the instruments. The museum is brilliant for children especially, inside loads of anthropological displays as well as a great collection of taxidermist work. Live animals on the outside dead ones on the inside.
The imposing building in the background is one I see frequently on the horizon in East Dulwich. I have grown to admire it though at first, because of its mega sized solid structure , it looked out of place and bossy. It was built in 1964 , Kate Macintosh architect, and houses 300 flats with a few balconies , a communal garden and individual fire escapes, a definite plus for the city with horrendous fire history. It is called Dawson’s Heights. There are great photos in Mr Googles library, mine does it no justice at all. It has been described as 60’s space age cool, built in a time when quality was still a goal.
I bought cards in the gift shop, warmed up , the chill outside let you know you were alive! Just like back home, when the sun shines in winter you better pack an extra layer. In the shop the clerk asked me from where in Ireland I came.. I said “ America Ireland”, satisfied with that answer she said “ I knew you was Irish , could tell from your strong accent”. Must be the “ Rrrr’ s”.
Caught the usual bus and since I was already headed that way I went into the city . At Waterloo the driver ordered everyone off the bus. It was going no farther due to diversion. That’s the thing about busses , no warning. I got off at Waterloo, walked to trafalgar thinking to walk up hay market to Piccadilly Circus to my favorite BOOTS pharm to get stuff. BOOTS are all over the place, you can always find one close by, but my favorite one is three floors with everything you could ever need. It is sparkling clean, antiseptic and well laid out. Drug store bliss! Anyway, the sun was going down so the decision was made for me, to head back to the spider flat. Got to the bus stop and the damned bus never came- another diversion. I walked a while until I found one that might work. By the time I got back, it was dark, good call.



















You are just having one lovely adventure after another! Look at those lovely animals! Is that an alpaca? Whatever it is, I'd love to adopt it. Could anything look more cuddly? No, I think not.
ReplyDeleteAre those bee shelters I'm looking at with all the tubes and openings?
And I would love that weather lady too. She does indeed look like the perfect person to hear "Good morning" from every day.
That Boots sounds like a dream.
That is indeed an alpaca, cuter than anything. Superior wool! Bee shelters , bughouses, plants with them in mind.
DeleteI remember Boots always smelling nice, a combo of perfume and antiseptic. That Horniman is definitely a place this kid would like to play in. They even have an insect shelter, yay.
ReplyDeleteThere were several groups of children out on field trip from school, I had forgotten how loud children can be!
DeleteWhat a great day, and thanks for recording it and sharing with me! Love those insect hotels...a bit of architecture there. Cool instruments in sculptures!
ReplyDeleteIt is a wonderful garden, a respite from city business.
DeleteWhat a perfect place to visit on a gorgeous fall day! Apart from the bus issue it all sounds like it couldn't be a lot better!
ReplyDeleteI really am grateful for the excellent bus system , just a little annoying when the roads are torn up .
DeleteLook how blue is the sky. It couldn't possibly be cold. Everywhere in the gardens was wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThe gardens on a sunny day could not be better. My lungs appreciate the fresh clean air.
DeleteEvery time you show wonderful parts of England I want to go there. The gardens look to be magnificent with the musical art pieces and that bridge for the Billy Goat Gruff :)
ReplyDeleteI want to live here… but only until I die…
DeleteYou find the most amazing places!
ReplyDelete"America Ireland" - HA!
There is always an answer that will validate another’s conviction, I think it is called diplomacy, not lieiing…
DeleteWonder what the diversions were for? Did they ever say? I love the Horniman Museum and grounds! It IS a great view from there.
ReplyDeleteBusses are being diverted because of street repair, it s said. Repair is good, but they could let passengers know n the schedule. Always an adventure but if time depended on the busses getting one to their destination on time better get a cab.!
Delete