My Blog List

Sunday, October 29, 2023

The house of dreams, magic day , art



 Experimenting with rag paper and Christmas joy. The study lamp is helpful for dinking around . I am glad I bought it , darkness is coming. Clocks fall back an hour this week end, just as we get our internal clocks regulated, the god of clocks trips us up by changing it to go backwards. 

Yesterday Sarah and I went to “Mecca”. The House Of Dreams, just an eleven minute walk from Spider-Man’s flat. 




Immediately the entrance gives you an idea that maybe this will be the most inspirational visit!






Photos allowed before entrance to the actual house, and in the garden,which look overwhelming but nothing compared to the inside. Every surface is filled all floors are mosaic , along the walls are Stephens diary entries, his word story, his reckonings, rescues of damaged unloved dolls , broken toys and ….everything! 



Sarah in the back garden path. The garden was just too much to photograph, I did not try.









It is a house for everyone, things speak to you, forgotten toys, curlers you nay have used as a teenager, clothing you may have worn as an infant. Memories held physically for as long as the items and concrete will hold. A legacy. The tile in this photo did speak to me, “ you can go back, but you can’t go home, it isn’t there anymore”.


Taking photos does not do justice to the overall experience of immersion into Stephen’s mind . Looks haphazard but when you are right into it, it flows and works on your sense of wonder, nostalgia, repurposing and love, so much love! An exercise in appreciation for lack of control in a safe accepting environment. 

Stephen and Michael only open their house six days a year, Sarah’s timing and luck could not have been more perfect.. 

then we shopped at the second hand shop across the road, Sarah bought a beautiful cashmere duster for a fiver, on we went to the flat, on the way Sarah buys a vegan pastie. In spite of being a vegan concoction she reported that it was actually very delicious.




Have a pleasant day, stay well and warm…do some art from your heart… I would love to be able to lose control on rag paper but I am stuck- years of predictability and acceptable  reserve, boring as oatmeal and hallmark. A curse upon me.

23 comments:

  1. Oh! When you go back to the home that is not there, you could launch such a project there: Collage all the surfaces!
    --Fresca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived alone, if I had my own room, my own corner, my own table… we did think of our Fresca , knew that you would have loved it !,

      Delete
  2. Love your art - based on reality! And then the trippy trip through that house must have been some experience! Wow after wow! So glad you got to go there. I think someone in Florida or maybe Texas did something similar...or somewhere I forgot. The one in Florida was based on Oranges. Turning all those old ceramics into wonderful mosaics is truly wonder-ful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen wright is an amazing soul. He sees the beating heart of everything…wildly. What a special man!

      Delete
  3. It does indeed seem as if some souls are just drawn to doing art like this- using the discarded detritus of existence to create an alternative world. Fascinating!
    "I will stab you with Christmas joy and merriment!" Yes, yes! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
    How I adore you, Linda Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas joy is aggressive, it seems.. adore you right back!

      Delete
  4. fascinating place. reminds me a bit of the mosaic park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every room top to bottom, no surface left unaltered, arches built in the rooms also covered as well as the ceilings. I loved that he used spent felt tip pens for structures as well as milk bottle caps.. all sorts of trash!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That house looks amazing but also overwhelming. I like the "Citizen of the World" tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen and Michael are the most wonderful couple of geniuses, the house would likely drive you mad as every surface is deep in objects, so much mosaic work , boggles the mind-inspires.

      Delete
  6. 37paddington: I would like to visit that house. Broken dolls with dead eyes make me sad, so I don’t know what my overall sense would be. It would be like nothing I had ever experienced before or might ever experience again, that’s for sure. That alone would make it worth it. What wonders you are uncovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the thing, the unloved are honored , displayed , his favorite is a large doll that had been run over, face utterly smashed, placed in a special place , adored. Otherwise this once perfect doll would have ended up in a landfill. Everything has value.

      Delete
  7. I think one must practice Stephen's abandon for a long, long time to be so free and comfortable with it. I guess you better begin soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting loose is something I would try to do… and as my eyesight goes maybe that will be a result.

      Delete
  8. You and Sarah are finding the best most colourful places! In my next life maybe I will live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your life now….just jump on a cheap flight and go!

      Delete
  9. Karen Frances here, Linda Sue: Magnificence captured in the House of Dreams. And such perfection to share the experience with your Sarah. As for your art, not oatmeal, and I'm betting that hallmark never created a card with the phrase "I will stab you with ___." A little twisty merriment, indeed. I, like Steve, have great appreciation for "Citizen of the World" tiles. Cheers and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This city is so much more than the usual . You would love the various textures all over the place. The blitz created some amazing chunks.

      Delete
  10. This looks wonderful -- such fun and so colorful and creative! And I'm wild about your holiday rags! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie , rag paper is interesting to play with.

      Delete
  11. LInda Sue! If you’re sending the Orphans home, you could send them here to hang out with the Girlettes till the new year!
    Just a thought, but they’d have a riot together 😄❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, I will gnaw on it..

      Delete
  12. Ah, I am glad to find the House of Dreams is now properly open. I wanted to go during and just after the pandemic when it was almost impossible. You are not so very far from Lewisham so you might like to stroll past the late Mr. Pinks house if it is still there. Here is a little documentary about him. https://www.facebook.com/southlondonclub/videos/1688226074592699/

    ReplyDelete