My Blog List

Friday, April 14, 2023

venom, Yellow, ouch

  •  

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Attention-grabbing: Since yellow is the most visible color, it is also the most attention-getting color. Yellow can be used in a small amount to draw notice, such as on traffic signs or advertisements.
  • Difficult to read: Yellow is also the most fatiguing to the eye due to the high amount of light that is reflected. Using yellow as a background on paper or computer monitors can lead to eyestrain or vision loss in extreme cases.
  • Energetic: Yellow can also increase metabolism.
  • Frustrating: Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow rooms and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms.
  • Warm: Yellow is a bright color that is often described as cheery and warm.

 


 Accompanied by the synthetic sound of Cleopatra’s ethereal voice, this hypnotic yellow environment devised from poisonous black mamba python venom, evokes Cleopatra’s death and acts as a reminder of nature’s lethal powers.

Probably the strangest and most dangerous installation I have ever seen. I came out of the venom colored room blinded.  For real! It took about an hour and a half to regain my vision in the coffee shop. Three pastries and two cups of tea later I could see out of one eye, enough to catch a bus back to the flat. 

But on the way...THIS! I can not remember why the Piccadilly sign was more blinding yellow than anything in nature but there it was. OUCH.  


 

https://youtu.be/eYSB737hPxQ

 maybe it was the anniversary of Yellow rainbow? Whatever, that much yellow is harmful and I do understand  babies crying in yellow rooms- That day in London - one of the worst!

What brings this to mind is- today while driving into town, a young woman was walking along the sidewalk all pink from top to toe, like bazzooka bubble gum , pepto bouncing along bee bopping to Pink. Generally that much pink is upsetting I find but just enough of a pink splash to make my day more cheerful! I came home , looked up the color PINK,  generally a soothing happy safe color which then lead me to Yellow- (bright dandelions along the way)...then I remembered my yellow venom experience so that is that. That is how the mind works , one thing leading to another.  Sorry, terrible isn't it! Terrible music to accompany this post- perfect! I have never heard of "The Piccadilly Band" until this very moment.You?

should come with a warning!


 

 

 

11 comments:

  1. I've never really thought about the powers of too much yellow. Hmmm...
    At one time, pink was supposed to be a soothing color. I remember a room in the state hospital ward I did a clinical in that was quite pink where they'd put patients who needed to calm down. I have no idea if it helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it could be just too much anything- Prisons are painted pink and for a while it is calming but after getting used to it the pink power fails. Yellow , like red, can be too much if it is larger than a rose, I reckon.

      Delete
  2. did not know all that about yellow. I had read that it is good for creativity. the top half of the walls in my bedroom are a very nice pale lemon yellow with white wainscoting and it's a very pleasing room. ironically, it's not a color I wear at all, ever. I guess it depends on the intensity. I would not want to be in a room that is school bus yellow. and what a bizarre art installation. the flowers however are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our dining room was a pale yellow for a while, it worked and was not bright at all. I painted over it a couple of years ago, a non color, It is better.You are right to think it about the intensity!

      Delete
  3. I've never thought about the color yellow. I don't think I have any yellow clothing, but I do have a bathroom painted yellow. It's a warm and inviting color saying, "Come in and sit down and relax." My mother loved the color pink. So much pink everywhere it was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow in small doses, that is key- as with any color. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing.

      Delete
  4. That Piccadilly sign has to go! I love yellow, it's a favorite (and those daffs in the blue vase are perfection). But enough's enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting post. I've never considered the effect of the intensity of color. I have an artist friend who sees everything in color, as color, and cannot believe I am totally unable to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love yellow, but it's best in small doses. I think the most soothing room colour might be a soft pastel green/blue shade, aqua or a pastel teal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that the rest have gone on I can thank you for this. I really like it...the installation...and your blue vase w daffodils.

    I read about the artist and preferred not to know; I like ambiguity and generally avoid representational work. The strangeness of this piece, before reading about it, made it appealing.

    Your mention of the young woman in pink reminded me of a day on Hollywood boulevard. A slender black woman wearing a bright yellow, one piece leotard was turning heads as she strolled along. I laughed with her as guys, turning to stare, bumped into each other.

    But I was serious; the Lady and the Bird would make a wonderful birthday present for my California wife. I admit to having meager funds but maybe I could swing it. Won't you please consider it?

    ReplyDelete