My Blog List

Saturday, April 8, 2023

The aesthetic of good news


linda,
 
Breaking news from Spokane – Bob won a huge victory for reproductive justice for millions of Washingtonians and individuals across the country.
 
As a result of the multistate lawsuit Bob led, a federal judge in Spokane just issued a decision protecting the availability of the abortion pill mifepristone. 
 
This ruling occurred on the same day a Trump-appointed federal judge in Texas ruled to suspend mifepristone nationwide. Thanks to Bob and his legal team, however, access is protected in the 17 states and District of Columbia who joined Bob’s coalition despite this radical decision in Texas.
 
Bob will keep fighting to defend reproductive rights for Washingtonians and we will keep you updated on his progress. 
 
Team Ferguson
 
^^^^so, that was in my mail last night. Bob Ferguson also , during the Orange calamitous years, fought to have Washington state a refugee welcoming state, with additional aid for disabled and poor. Plus , y'all can get a safe abortion here and there is not a GDchurch on every corner screaming at you.. Our Q-anon neighbor has taken down her flags  and posters, did she find two brain cells to rub together, or maybe she is just worn out....Good news, No Orange signs in the yard, or flags of yellow snakes waving. 

I just purchased this book"The Aesthetic Value Of The world". I went straight to the "ugly " part. Appreciating ugly at a level of interest - non comparable value. Sometimes it is a struggle , immediately jumping into judgement and revulsion. That is normal. There is a reason for that in nature. Art may be a different thing, though. I know of an artist who sculpts fabric and found objects together which at first glance looks rubbish.  Closer inspection reveals the marvel of her work, the stitches, the rust and dirt, its life,  like poetry , aging objects- over all , from a distance, it looks like guts hanging and there is no color to bail it out...but, given some measure of study the works are mighty! Some say"ugly" and walk on, they miss out!

-0-

 

Springtime birthday - his four year old hand preserved in plaster.  One must wait until the child is old enough to stay still for longer than five minutes to cast a hand .  Such a creative hand it has become, on the shelf where some of his pottery lives, the house is full of his creativity. Genius Bunny child! This was the rabbit suit I made for him when he was Two years old, he wore it until he was five! Not everyday , mind you. This photo is from the children's parade, Fair Days, when he was four, Emily is by his side but got chopped off, probably because she looked normal! A beautiful little girl in sparkles.
He  will be coming up for Schrodinger's Jesus day. I have made another batch of hot cross buns but have not yet added the apricot shine on top. It is a better batch glad to say, though they look more cross than hot...
Happy Spring! It is roaring like a lion up here!The weather is challenging my appreciation skills. The cherry blossoms being blown to the neighbor's yard,  cold wind bending branches and making the birds work harder for a living! I saved the tulips and put them in a jar.In The Aesthetic Value of the World , Tom Cochrane defends Aestheticism, the claim that everything is aesthetically valuable and that a life lived in pursuit of aesthetic value can be a particularly good one. Furthermore, in distilling aesthetic qualities, artists have a special role to play in teaching us to recognize values; a critical component of virtgrounds his account upon an analysis of aesthetic value as 'objectified final value', which is underwritten by an original psychological claim that all aesthetic values are distal versions of practical values. This is followed by systematic accounts of beauty, sublimity, comedy, drama, and tragedy, as well as appendix entries on the cute, the cool, the kitsch, the uncanny, the horrific, the erotic, and the furious.

19 comments:

  1. It is quite obvious that your state is a far better place to live in the political sense than mine. Did you hear that now DeSantis is trying to make the roads to Disney toll roads? He is just so vindictive and evil. All because Disney is fighting his "don't say gay" policies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeSantis is by far the most evil of Governors but Florida elected him, just like the Nation electing the orange shite- "we get what we deserve?" Maybe... Anyway DeSantis might slip up , get caught with his pants down or something that will take him out.. that is my hope.

      Delete
  2. I know some people who weren't all that upset when Roe v. Wade was repealed because they figured the states would then get their acts together and codify the right to abortion. Who knew so many states were lead by cavemen? Yeah, we knew...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always the damned patriarchy, you know! Evolution has been so slow that we have un-evolved, fouled our nest, destroyed human rights at such a pace! Clever humans!

      Delete
  3. The country is so divided everyday all the time about everything. It's crazy. I like seeing your wonderful photos of the young ones celebrating Easter. That's the balance to the madness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good, happy news. It seems to be one small push back at a time against the evil edicts put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived in any other state that is not as smart politically i would probably blow something up and then kill myself, you know, how you do...

      Delete
  5. I read that happy news in my newspaper yesterday :) Eric's hand forever four, is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the little plaster hand is so lovely to hold. What a lucky Mom I was!

      Delete
  6. and now the two opposing legal decisions will guarantee it heads to the SC. it should not be possible for one judge to overturn an FDA approval and decide that a drug used for decades should be illegal simply because he is against abortion.

    I made my kids bunny suits too but for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, this country is a whole bunch of fucked up

      Delete
  7. Bravo to Bob for fighting back against this lunacy. Eric's hand looks so mature for a four-year-old! It looks like MY hand! (Probably a bit smaller, I'm guessing. I'm not Trump.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, that is correct- you are not Mr. tiny hands. We love Bob Ferguson, he is brilliant and four steps ahead of the ridiculous GOP every time.

      Delete
  8. Between Bob Ferguson and the Obama-appointed Federal Judge, sanity has prevailed. Those people who judge shopped their case to that zealot in Amarillo knew exactly what they were doing. They knew damn well how he would rule. If you really want your head to explode, read Ruth Marcus' piece on him and his decision in the Washington Post..... Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thank you, when I am in the mood for head explosion I will certainly read Marcus's piece. Not sure when that might be but I am thank full - never too sure about the Washington Post...

      Delete
  9. And THAT is VERY good news! This is one I've been following closely. Well done to Bob! And oh, that bunny suit... that photo is totally precious! Glad the second batch of buns was improved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were sort of improved...I am not a fan of hot cross buns, turns out.

      Delete
  10. Dear Linda Sue,

    Will you tell us the name of the artist who weaves disparate found stuff togeter? Does she have website?

    Your son's work is amazing!! Does he show anywhere in the SW? I'm currently near Tucson.

    Thanks!

    MFH

    ReplyDelete