My Blog List

Friday, March 3, 2023

That insane trumpian woman, avisit to Ragfinery, old sew and sew

Today I felt 100 percent and did a whole bunch of running around- Of course I had to hit the Assistance league where this dolly stands at attention, she has been there for a couple of weeks which is unusual . the turn around at the AL is quick. But now I understand why this dolly has not gone home with someone, and why she gives me the willies....
 
You be the judge! 

From there I went to Ragfinery , a  small warehouse affair with the most amazing assortment of all things fabric. They are on IG if you are curious. Going in there is like walking into a dream of possibilities and temptations. Everything so affordable you can not possibly walk out without buying something .

I took Millie along because it was raining and she has the gear for it- she met a friend . her friend is a mish -mash of different dolls who have been injured and reassembled as one.  Repurposing.
I wanted to buy a whole bunch of stuff, So much of it  is so excellent even it you don't sew the quality of the "rags" is so fine! I slapped my hand away  several times and only came away with two pieces of oil cloth for a dollar-fiddy total, no tax. The orphans wanted to test it to see if they could get oily walking on it. They did not. "Disappointing," they agreed.

I finally took both sewing machines in to Social Fabrics,  Miss Molly- for servicing or for scrapping, not sure which. Both of them weigh a ton and damned if I did not manage to carry both at the same time from the back lot around the building and up the stairs and down to the shop, without killing myself! I have great upper body strength , my legs are wimpy. I bought a recumbent stationary bike...it was delivered yesterday and is waiting for me to put it together. First I have to shift things and make sensible room for it and then I am off to the races. No excuses, like -I can't go out today- too cold, too wet. too snowy, too hot, too dark, too whatever the hell cry baby thing I can come up with.

Must get in some decent form for my trip, and for the rest of my days on this planet of gravity,   for a long walk around London for the last hurrah, probably.  Thinking about it all the time.Stella will be leaving soon-ish for Finland . Getting our travel jollies before we are unable.  Ain't nobody getting any younger. Today is as young as I will ever be! Strangely , that does not suck, I am loving this age.




23 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are feeling better. So many fun stores to shop in!
    Leenie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short lived illness unlike some troopers we might know....Hope that you are better than yesterday and growing your curly locks - curly hair fends off mountain lion punches you realize, that is why Airedales are used in cougar hunts. Love to you Leenie!

      Delete
  2. I love the oilcloth pieces! Is it heavyweight enough to not slide off a table? I have cotton tablecloths that are too lightweight to use they just slip and slide until I give up and stuff them back in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oil cloth has always been a fave for that reason. it stays put- not to mention that it is so cheerful! I used it a lot when the children were little- destruction proof!

      Delete
    2. Then I shall buy some. I found a store here in Adelaide that sells it by the metre.

      Delete
  3. The oilcloth reminds me of Mexico. It is beautiful.
    I'm so glad you feel better!
    And that is one doll that I could not love. Poor thing. Who would put that face on a doll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross between pin head and that trumpian woman, I would redo that dolly , change it entirely. Maybe remove her head and replace it with a plant.

      Delete
  4. that last thing, I can't decide if it's creepy or adorable. when we bought the house next door in the city lo those many years ago I was delighted to see the enclosed front porch was floored with really old patterned linoleum, like a flowery carpet.

    and where art thou Linda Sue? did I make you mad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT? mad oh hell no...I've been out of it for the past couple of weeks is all. Old lino is also a fave, I went through an old house that was being remodeled , they tossed the old lino, I so wanted to take it home with me but...regret , I did not. That lst thing is indeed creepy- and those are real human teeth. (gross)

      Delete
  5. The put together doll would be OK with some better kind of eyes, those buttons are horrid.
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, that doll does look like Sidney Powell, poor thing.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is wise indeed to appreciate exactly where we are. I don't always achieve such wisdom, but it is good to be reminded to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No longer climbing that hill, on the slope side now - smooth sailing!

      Delete
  8. Millie's friend is . . . interesting. I can understand why the other doll has not been snapped up, though she doesn't remind me of anyone.It's a face only a mother could love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is because you sanely live in another country, If you lived here you would immediately recognize her face, and feel ill...

      Delete
  9. Poor doll. She probably has more brains than her human counterpart. Ragfinery sounds like a place I could totally loose myself in. So glad you’re better!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragfinery is a goldmine, IF you life fabric and the possibilities of bits and bobs. I think I will go back today, like...right now....

      Delete
  10. Some things were meant not to be put together. Past travesty. I could be a fool in the fabric shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, insane- I went back this afternoon and did manage to come away with quite a bag full...why???

      Delete
  11. karen frances here: I am impressed that you picked out exactly who that doll looks exactly like. When I saw her, I recoiled a bit but could not have identified exactly why. I've never been to either AL Thrift Shop (because they were closed the one day I decided to go in) or to Ragfinery. I would spend money when I need not one more thing. Well, maybe one more thing, but I can't think what it is. I may have to stop in AL to try to jog my memory... Seeing your comment above, about returning to Ragfinery and filling up--yes m'am, yes m'am, one bag full--I know I need to stay away from that store particularly. But we can't wait to see what you turn your one bag full into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen, I KNOW!!! I only went back to buy a tiny ancient bra that was so cute and a pair of brightly colored harem pants, BUT there was a wall of FREE things, mostly unfinished knitting/crocheting and the like. I will make little blankets for the humane society with them. AL is open on Thursdays for discount senior day.Their shop is twee, vetted with an old ladies sense of value...rarely is there anything in there that inspires art.

      Delete