My Blog List

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Ragfinery shopping, Rosa the dog and orphans celebrate Fresca

I went back to Ragfinery yesterday to get two things specifically - they were still there! One was this tiny brazier for teeny tiny boobage, vintage nylon likely from the fifties. Never sure what to do with things like this , just know that -too hard to pass up because of its construction and cute-ness factor. Howard Hughes had to construct a bra for Jane Russell and used bridge building skills to do so. That created a whole industry for in your face , proud , don't mess with me, tits. 

This little brazier , however , missed that memo and remains shy and humble with the simplest hook in back, so easy to slip into the undone position. Remember those days? Of course you do not because you were not even born yet.
 

This  tiny embroidered lace is at the hem of a christening slip. In exceptional condition- just a couple of bucks.

Finally I went in  to buy  these harem trousers because - color! Screaming blue silk  that I am sure to use for (?) something. When I get one or both machines back I will sew again, I promise myself. I have  loved sewing and creating with fabric in the past and since my eyesight is compromised , hand sewing leaves much to be desired. My stitches are  hen scratches , less tidy even , than stitching up the wounded in the battlefield - hurry- under fire!  Pretty lame.
I made a poncho for one of the orphans- the other thought it "terrific".
Erik texted that he had gone back to the old house to puppysit Rosa while the household went to Vegas for a birthday celebration. Erik chose not to go, pretty much over that sort of "fun". So Rosa got to have Erik all to herself and  Erik is glad to have moved into his own apartment, leaving the chaos of life with four others behind. Erik is more tidy/particular/organized. As you can see, it would not take much.
I cropped Rosa out of the chaos- black and whited her- she looks saintly . All praise Rosa! Her people and the other pup will be home today - Erik  can get back to his controlled environment and Rosa can get back to being babied by everyone who adores her.

Today is also Fresca's birthday and the day of her party. She is vacationing from  blogworld at the moment, for  mental health and creative urges but is  still on IG.

I sent some photos of the orphans and friends celebrating Fresca on her 62nd Birthday.


The orphans had cake and a can of whipped cream that went sideways...not realizing that it had to be pointed upside down to prevent the cream from shooting out into space.

 

So, let's all raise a glass to our Fresca, a splendid birthday and many more with a pinch to grow and inch. It has been inspiring getting to know her.

PAR-TAY!!!!

 


 



17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Fresca! Love the orphans and girlettes! They know how to party! How I envy your proximity to ragfinery. Excellent finds,
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragfinery , a blessing and a curse, no doubt!

      Delete
  2. Love the girls with cake and whipped cream. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, I've learnt something from my visit here. Namely, Howard Hughes designed a pushup underwire bra.
    Rosa looks so content with her quiet time with Erik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right, who knew, building bridges skill could invent an entire industry for boobs!

      Delete
  4. I clicked out and lost my first comment, congratulating the orphans on all the orphans they have brought together to wish happy birthday to our friend Fresca!
    On close examination, I believe that embroidery on the christening gown is done by the sort of machine that drive French and Belgian needle workers out of business. The embroidery is done by one, maybe two different machines. Let's say two, with but operators side by side. The first operator stitches the scallop on a machine with a foot that turns the fabric to cut the scallop and overstitch it. The piece is then passed to the second operator. Look closely and you will see it is a repeating pattern of the row above the scallops. This machine punches the holes and binds them, and at regular intervals rises above the holes and stitches the flower motif. This is like the Jacquard looms putting weavers out of business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh lord, clever humans putting themselves out of business...we can all be replaced! What a clever machine!!!!

      Delete
  5. Rosa! So adorable! She DOES look like a saint, or a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago.

    Was the bra designed by Howard Hughes the "cross-your-heart" variety that Jane Russell used to hawk on TV back in the '70s? "Lifts and separates!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa is such a dear little pup, so sweet...Hughes designed the first bra for large ones that needed to be showcased by Russell in movies. Balloon boobs!

      Delete
  6. What beautiful finds and I, too, am jealous of your proximity to a place that sells such loveliness.
    Was Rosa cold or just modeling?
    And hurray for Fresca! The birthday woman! There is such joy about her- we are all lucky to have her in our lives. As we are you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Ms. Moon, would not be able to leave Ragfinery without bags full of endless possibilities. Sold by weight or sold by the bag full- Scraps, fifty cents a bag full! AND the tables full of FREE unfinished projects! Yep, it is a fun place.

      Delete
  7. I can see why Erik moved out of that house. it looks chaotic. the lacy trim is lovely and of course Joanne would know how it was done. I should probably not go in Ragfinery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is better for Erik now, though he misses the dogs and the cat- he is pleased to have his own digs with his own refrigerator!

      Delete
  8. Rosa does look saintly, like a dog that brings peace to her environs. She must have been happy to have Erik to herself for a bit if the house is usually chaotic. Love your beatific crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise Dog! she is a little sweetheart. Erik misses her but is pleased with his new controlled pared down apartment.

      Delete
  9. I am lost in spam jail again?

    ReplyDelete