My Blog List

Sunday, March 26, 2023

downtown and a film

A friend and I went to the movies this afternoon. We went to see "The Quiet Girl".  Visually superb, the cinematography is splendid,  acting believable , charming. The story is a rather sad/happy one of an Irish family with too many kids and a louse for a husband/father. One child, the Quiet one, is sent to live with distant relatives for the summer while the mother has yet another baby and the husband continues his terribleness . It is a gentle , subtle film and gets you where you live. We agreed to make up our own ending that satisfied us but still left with tears in our eyes.
 
Downtown today, partly cloudy but warm enough for just one jacket.

Quiet Sunday, quiet film and a good natter with an old friend. A warning though , If you do go see The Quiet Girl, know that her father  probably has abused the child sexually  at some point. Bed wetting and fear of the night are the only evidences , as I said , the film is subtle.  It is one of those immersion film experiences- never in your face raucous American  turn-down-the-volume-bullshit.  Irish with subtitles and genuine attention  to the "feels".  Beautiful. One that lingers deliciously, Ireland's country side , farm life and clean water...and there is a dog.


Squirrel on the deck just now. It looks like it has been in some one's mouth and had to loose some suit to escape.


Trend setter, maybe? He might be the one who gets the girl!

12 comments:

  1. Poor squirrel looks like he's been shaved. He needs an extra cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does! I gave him a pecan and an almond and a brazil nut. He is kind of a wreck.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of that film but I'll watch for it. I wonder if that squirrel has mange? Can squirrels even get mange?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so not a fashion statement- mange. Poor little ratty squirrel.

      Delete
  3. I am sure that is a good movie but sounds like one best for me to skip.
    Poor little squirrel. Steve may be right- it may have mange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you Mary, and knew that this was not a film for you.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Ms Moon. I like quiet films without all the constant over the top action and loudness, ones that tell a story but I'll skip this one. Nice mural though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful, the lighting , the tenderness, a different time, a different culture.

      Delete
  5. I just googled "squirrel mange" and looked at images. It does look like that squirrel has mange. It mostly hits in winter, but if it's not too cold it can survive. I'm hoping for the best.
    That movie is definitely one I would not be able to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New robin- I think that you might actually like the film, it is a mellow slice O' Life in beautiful countryside. Not obvious abuse, just...life served with too much and too little . Nicely done.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a nice way to spend a Sunday. Thanks for the movie review, it sounds appealing. I'm done with "in your face raucous American turn-down-the-volume-bullshit"

    ReplyDelete