My Blog List

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

thrift store, old bear, nut thing and they

I went to VV to get some stickers for Flora to destroy. This amazing blanket at the entrance Said "buy me" but I don't need another blanket, plus the price tag was $300.00.  walk on...

Of course in the doll pile I did find something for $2.00.
 

Sweet little  old worn mohair bear with cataracts and a fancy bow tie. I may remove the bow tie and just have him be wild and naked, I prefer naked & wild.

Under the bed I found a box of paper mache , made in Germany, walnuts, pine cones and balls.

Previously I felted bug families and put them in the nuts. I had forgotten that I still had some.


Unsuccessfully I tried a tiny paper house with moss and stars, E6000 glue, a few berries,  nestled in the nut. I don't especially like this idea and will move on to some other failed idea soon. Playing around, I will come up with something eventually.


The outside of the nut is better if painted. plain mache grey is kind of cool but looks too much like a dust ball.

Anyway, that is how I wasted time yesterday afternoon. Spoke with the lad as he walked to his friend's house to deliver a birthday present to "them". "How many people  are having a birthday", I asked. You would think that I would be used to hearing that pronoun and stop thinking of "they" as plural. Old person hurdle to get over, fighting change is predictable with old futs. While listening to the city council meeting, as people introduced themselves , having announced  their names they automatically clarified which pronoun they identified with. It's a new day! My name is Linda Sue, I use  "she, her" pronoun and I am here primarily to complain.

18 comments:

  1. Haha! Complain away.
    I rather like the little house in the nut. Wouldn't Flora like one of the nuts with treasures in it? Maybe stickers as she might still be apt to swallow tiny things. Or stick them up her nose which is what my grandsons used to.
    I probably would have bought that bear too. He looks a lot like my little bear did. The one I had as a child. He was not soft at all and I sort of resented that but I loved him anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flora is into taking everything apart at the moment so a nut would not fare well. This little bear is very soft and well loved into a floppy boy.

      Delete
  2. That mohair bear looks like mine, over 70 years old. He is special because he has a music box in his back, so the fur around the winder is worn. The music box died about 40 years ago and we were able to replace it with another ( plays Teddy Bears Picnic) from a doll shop nr Chicago. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww how nice to give your bear his music back. I also had a bear- a panda with a music box but it played a dumb song so i never really liked the bear.

      Delete
  3. That old stuffed bear is such a cutie. I love that your brought that home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "they" are happy in their new digs- with all of the other raggedy misfits.

      Delete
  4. The little house in the nut is adorable. You do good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that , I disagree but am chuffed at the compliment!!

      Delete
  5. I had little use for dolls or bears except one. It was a black molded doll that accompanied me to the hospital. The nurses decided to sterilize it to return home (1945 or 46) and it came out the color of its rubber. Never played with it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the road to hell paved with good intentions they say...poor little dolly

      Delete
  6. I am also a "she and her" and proud to be so. I like the tiny house inside the nutshell. I also like the teddy with his smart bow tie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not convinced that the bow tie is Ok on little bear. I may make a ruff for him instead.

      Delete
  7. I still can't relate to "they." It violates my grammar cop sensibilities and I"m not really sure I get it. When we start making politically correct so complicated, it seems to make me want to do it less and less. I wonder if it will stick or if it's trendy. That nut looks like a small brain in your hand. Love the decorated one! Those would be fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnuts ARE brain food they say! Because they resemble brains..."They" confuses me, I have to switch gears fast. I suppose it is just a matter of getting used to it but yes, it grates on my cemented grammar foundation. "Ms." used to be somewhat radical and scoffed at, now it is everyday normal. A new pronoun was tried but it did not fly- "Ze, Zee, Zem"...So it is back to "they".

      Delete
  8. "They" always throws me, too. I have a friend who refers to her child as "they," and I always go through a brief period of wondering who she's talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confusing. I am not sure that pronouns are going to change the character of humanity. "He" has been the go-to for ages, before women got upset about the patriarchy asserting itself in everything. THAT changed things , so maybe .....

      Delete
  9. FRESCA here. Oh, yes, a ruff instead of a bow for them! (The bear.)
    I love "they/them" as a brave attempt to escape the tyranny of he/she. Though I too wonder, will it work?
    ...Maybe. Your example of the decline of the generic "he" gives hope.
    It's good for the old brain to play with grammar---language is not fixed in cement, but my brain would like to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they will like a ruff better and perhaps a little crown. I have been intrigued with crowns lately, everything and every "they" must have one! You are correct- old brains being challenged to accept rather than argue is a step forward into understanding and compassion.

      Delete