My Blog List

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Snail walk, taylor's dock, freezing ducks.

Found my shoes, not the best ones for walking but not terrible. I obeyed the sign and walked slowly, down through the neighborhood and to the path leading to town. Meandered through town a bit, bought a baby present for our neighbors expecting a grand baby in the next ten minutes. He is a fisherman so I got a fish teether and a hand crochet starfish. There were so many things in the shop that caught my eye.  Kits for making tiny houses and tiny rooms, with chocolate eclairs on the counter. So adorable. I mentioned them to the clerk and she rolled her eyes and sighed. "Yes, they are adorable- but try putting them together! SO frustrating- when  finally  done, you feel empty,  you have lost all  meaning in life, all encompassing project that owned your soul, and  you wonder WTF?" I won't be buying that  any time soon. Thanks for the review...


 I walked to Taylor's  dock, The wind, cold and biting, gave me hives.


There is a bench in the sun that I have not seen before, I would have liked this guy, and so would you, I guess....


Boats anchored close to one another bouncing around, facing into the wind. No one going out for a sail today, thank you!

I walked back into town, saw a tiny shop that I had not seen before, Nice guy , just opened during covid so has had a hard time getting going. He was in the process of cleaning chandelier glass. His aesthetic is dead animals, moldy worn dirty things , calls them antiques. Right up my alley, I could not afford the bear head but did buy a mink skull to keep company with the other bony heads on the piano. 

From there I walked along the bay to watch the ducks freeze.


Through the woods , up the hill, and back into the neighborhood.

I thought that I had not even walked one mile but turns out it was three plus. Shoes , not the best so it is back to my ridiculous looking HOKA  shoes that I wore last time walking all over London. Never a problem with them but they are highly unattractive- monsterish and weird with  boat shaped roly souls. It is not about "Looks" though is it.  There is a lot of freedom that comes with old age! I am loving the Honey badger attitude I seem to have acquired.

Favorite narrator!

Both places in London that I was considering are no longer available.  Pity...I have not booked a flight yet either. Maybe it is that magic thing that happens sometimes, spoiling things because there is some major trauma coming and you must stay close to home to save everyone, because - life is like that when you  adult. OR maybe it is that a more perfect place will show up , cheaper and cuter? Yeah, maybe that.

 

 

23 comments:

  1. Well, I am putting my faith in the cheaper and cuter.
    I have to say that I hope that I would have loved that guy. John B. Guess. Huh.
    You were a brave and stalwart woman to go out for a walk in that weather!
    The woman who told you about the eclairs was obviously a master of existential angst. She deserves an award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and if her mission is to sell stuff , she has failed.
      I am still hoping that the expensive Chiswick place will magically reappear. That is really where I want to be. We are expecting snow for the next week of so. Frosty this morning. Winter is not finished!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, somewhere perfect for you will turn up! Five of us ate Fish and Chips at the Ferry Terminal yesterday- great fun. Have you tried it? JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the third person to suggest that this week! Must be OK, then!Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. Sunshine makes us think the weather is fine. Yeah, going for a walk in the freezing wind takes the fun out of the sun. I've always wondered how ducks stay warm, their naked skinny legs down in that ice water and they are always smiling. Hubs and I planned a Valentine getaway to Jackson. Woke up yesterday to see a blizzard had closed the pass, filled the town with snow and closed all the schools and some of the roads. Sun came out later and the neighbor kids, who thought they had the day off, were wrangled into shoveling the neighborhood out. Helped out by dads with snow throwers. Quite a party. Still would have rather been in a hot tub in a nice motel in Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plans, never make them...especially in winter...or summer...Autumn remains a bit more predictable sort of. I am glad to know that you might be well enough to travel and have a weekend somewhere other than the four walls. Rock on, Leenie!! Snow can go away now, I think you might be over it.

      Delete
  4. I've been wearing Hokas for 4-5 years now, it takes some getting used to the looks, but the comfort cannot be beat. Actually got a compliment on their appearance from a guy a third my age, so there's that....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are the best shoe for walking that I have found.

      Delete
  5. Yup! Hokas for the win. Currently my feet will not accept anything else. I love that comment about the soul sucking tiny houses to be assembled, she's saving many lives with her honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes she should get a raise! I actually had a thought to buy one...Whew, dodged that bullet! My Hoka's are five years old and have walked a few zillion miles, Still in great shape! so, yeah , funny looking but can'[t beat them with a stick.

      Delete
  6. I had to google "Hoka Shoes" to see what you were writing about. They look pretty comfy. I may have to see if I can get them here. I've been wearing the same sneakers for years. It might be time to try something new. I like your idea about waiting for the perfect coincidence of timing-- flights and places to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoka shoes have a wide toe box and wider soul for stabilizing- They are like BEING
      walked instead of walking in them. Yep, a good weirdo shoe!

      Delete
    2. Well, I see there is little good weather anywhere. The walk you took was pretty brutal. I have been on the search for wide toe box and wide shoes for my cranky feet, and perhaps you gave me a decent direction on that score.

      Delete
    3. Joanne, I like Hoka because they do have a great toe box and stabilizing wide souls, Good grip. If folks are prone to falling over these shoes keep us upright.

      Delete
  7. That was a good long walk :) I never cared about what my shoes looked like, as long as my feet were comfortable all day, that's all I need. I love that first photo of the Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just googled Hoka Shoes Australia and I'm shocked at the price! $250 -$270! Holy Bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that pricey here, $120.00, Two local shops sell them.

      Delete
  9. Nice walk. Ha, I love the clerk's rendition of the tiny house project.
    I like coming upon those memorial benches. They sometimes get me curious enough to google the memorializee.
    Hokas. They remind me of Mickey Mouse shoes, but darn if I haven't owned several pairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mickey Mouse shoes YES!! They SO are! Agree that the benches can be interesting- I now find myself loving John B. Guess...Have not googled him yet.

      Delete
  10. Read this, thought I had commented but I've lost two weeks so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 37paddington:
    When something isn't working out, best to just keep looking at options, because yes, better will present itself soon. Might as well believe that, because how would we know otherwise? "You would have loved this guy." Now that's an epitaph.

    ReplyDelete