My Blog List

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

silver day, Dog pub, and Lent

The sky was large this silvery day! So large I had to stop a couple of people on the walkway to make sure that they noticed. We stood and marveled, had a nice chat, we are neighbors, we do not approve of the crazy high tech parking meters newly  installed in Fairhaven. We cursed the genius  who stuck those weirdo things in there and the board who allowed it. They are dumb.
 

So rare is a sky like this that is is like a wonder of the world. I want to roll it up and wear it around my neck, or a bracelet. Silver energizes.

It started to get darker as I approached home but still - there it was- a bit of blue! The storm must have changed direction. We still do not have the promised snow and wind.

I passed the dog pub, music blaring, no pups in the yard at this time. 

There are a few wonderful things about this town, this is one.A place and yard for dogs to play while humans down a pint and a nibble. Dogs must be vaccinated, must be docile , humans must be responsible. No mayham in the Ham!

This is the first day of LENT. I observed Lent when I was a child and I was so very faithful! A promise to my best friend,  Dead  magic Jesus...I kept my promises though it may have been difficult at times. I stuck to it. My family just gave me a lot of  eye roll and side eye and a few exasperated tsks. They allowed me to go through my little girl fantasy, wearing white lace gloves, a straw hat, pink fluffy dress,to walk to the prettiest church in town , to talk to my invisible friend. It was a game. The question was asked, "What will you give up for Lent?" A commitment was made- and I did not eat chocolate until Easter. Quite a challenge in a house full of chocolate, Bowls of it all around the house and in  cupboards, I was eight years old, chocolate was  my breakfast!

Will power for a godly reason carries a lot of oomph. Especially as a child believing  that belief. Fairies , also real, Santa , of course! And the curse of stepping on a crack! Maturity and a look into a science book has been helpful to drag me out of my childish beliefs- I just wish I had some measure of solid resolve to Lent something for the good of all- Now I am too much of a  hedonist to  wear the hair shirt,  to give up a loved thing for an invisible dead guy on a stick. I do miss the songs...


13 comments:

  1. What amazing photos of an amazing day! I know that it must have been like walking through miracles.
    Real ones. Not dead-guy-on-a-stick ones.
    Oh, I do love thinking of you walking to church on your own! Little white lace gloves and fluffy dresses- what could be better?
    I've always wondered why in hell a god would be pleased for humans to give up something they love in his name. That does not sound very loving to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is mean in all religions! A human construct so little wonder. Human nature is cruelty, god created in human's image. But church was fun and uplifting when i was eight.Flowers and songs and finger sandwiches in the basement. yeah!
      Sky is a rare thing here especially one with so much drama.

      Delete
  2. Good grief! I missed yesterday's post which was truly notable. Five months? That will be a delightful trip, there will be time to do all the things. The polka dot tray from the thrift store is just lovely. You really did have a beautiful silver day. When you live in the PNW, I think you appreciate them more due to their rarity. I was raised Baptist, no Lent for us, no fish on Friday, none of that. Although the schools did serve fish on Friday for lunch. Happy packing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the trappings of religion - are MANY! Seduction, rules, promise and threat- ball of wax. The PNW is really very beatiful the sort that knocks you right down. Soon it will be over populated due to climate migration. but for now it is OK.
      Yes nearly five months will be a pretty good stay. I would stay longer....

      Delete
  3. When I (we) were children, Mom dropped us off for Sunday School and picked us up. Until we were old enough to walk to and fro. That's how grown=up's had time to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. clever parents. they knew that you would be safe for about an hour.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE those photos :) :)
    I never observed Lent, only the Catholics in my town did that. I did wonder sometimes what I would give up if I had to, but could never decide. I do like the idea of pancake Tuesday, though I always forget and never have the pancakes on the right day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of pancake Tuesday but I am all for pancakes any day!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous sky!

    I was raised Episcopalian but I don't ever remember having any special feelings about Jesus, however my mother made us all go to church and sunday school while she and my father listened to the sermon (that's how it worked, kids sat in the church until it was time for the sermon and then the cannibalism part when the littles were sent off for sunday school) until I was about 14 or so when my mother got caught being naughty and she was too embarrassed to show her face in church. It was up to our father to take us but it didn't take much to convince him to take up to breakfast instead and that was the end of church. But before that, we did observe lent in my house, well, us kids did, giving up candy, don't know what if anything my parents gave up. Probably nothing since our family motto was 'do as I say, not as I do' which I always thought was hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fourteen is pretty old to still ber going to Sunday School. I could do cannibal when I was twelve, stayed for sermon when I was eight. Episcopalian. Did your Mom rob a bank?

      Delete
    2. Maybe I was 13, that's the age kids got confirmed and could partake of the 'sacrement'. we had to go to special classes first and I would never do the work. they called my mother to tell her I wasn't going to pass (horrors) so they made me do a special report, an outline of the life of Jesus as told in one of the bible chapters so I could get confirmed. it was probably that summer that things fell apart. I remember going up to the altar rail a couple of times. but yeah unless you were confirmed you weren't supposed to receive the blood and flesh of christ.

      Delete
  6. That sky is a dazzler. Lent -- As a kid I gave something up. But later I got into doing random acts of kindness every day. Now, I don't know... I just don't think about it much.

    ReplyDelete