My Blog List

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

car dealership cooking, curious fawn and a bug

First thing in the morning I went to the car dealer to get a new battery. I barely made it across town with the  jump. Greeted in the waiting area by  massive television screen blaring  heavy metal cranky blurty  guitar  riffs while show casing  manly men in Carharts and leather, backwards ball caps, cooking with blow torches, chainsaws, hatchets, manly implements. I learned some things. You can add vinegar to mayonnaise and call it white sauce, you can clear a field, truck in tons of hay, light it on fire and roast enough chickens to feed a few thousand "hangry" folks. You can build a log house looking thing, make sure every log in the county is used, and make sure it is large enough to fill a parking lot, torch it, and wait for the embers. Load up an entire steer sawed in half  toss it on the embers with a dash of salt. That's dinner folks! 

 

 I did fall in love with this 60's vehicle and offered to buy it for that 60's price, but they said "NO Ma'am."
 


OK then, I will just take my battery and go. Battery still on warranty which was a nice surprise , instead of spending $250.00 I spent zero, just my precious time.  

Afternoon we decided to go to the theater to see "Living" , sweet little film , Bill Nighy, Britain after the war. Typically British in the good sense, everyone polite and caring for the most part except for the stinker working head desk at public services. He is a pickle! UNTIL....

The acting is flawless, the characters relatable, and Bill Nighy is wonderful as always. He looks like a character Erik would use in animation, severe slash for a mouth, crippled hands, upright ,so much so that bending is probably never an option. His trousers never need pressing.

Halfway through the film I started feeling less well. I hung on thinking that I only need to use the loo and all would be better. I did do that-  a  bit better, then off to the grocery to get cat food. While talking to the man in front of us I felt off , like my head was circling the man buying the hershey bar and my hair was lifting him up to reach the cash register because he was only three inches tall,  the minute we got home I went to bed. 

If you google salmonella it tells you basics, like no big deal you may vomit, have diarrhea, a fever, cramps- sounds do-able.  If you have ever had a period you are well versed  and can handle it.What they leave out are descriptive adjectives and, that when everything gooshy in your body  realizes there is a bug they all get the hell out of there fast and at the same time! It is violent and you will upchuck all the way back to last thanksgiving! Everything that erupts , for hours, is a  trump orange color due to the bacteria's preference for "vile things." Your face will become a red marshmallow from all of the pressure exerted and your head will pop.  You are WAY sick, no fooling. This went on all night, by morning it was just massive orange diarrhea, having run out of orange vomit, every ten minutes or so- and a headache that pounds like the Manly Man's guitar on the highway to hell . Too bad, you can not take a head ache pill, your devastated system will not allow. You are wiped out and stay in bed all night all day and all the next day, slowly rising on the forth day to shake it off ,  unable to lift a kitten, so weak.

On the mend. Two bananas, a hand full of grapes, and a cup of tomato soup just now, days later...feeling almost normal. And water, buckets of water!

The bacteria can stay with a person for a few days  or  a few years...it only takes 100 hundred of those cells , which can fit comfortably on the tip of a ballpoint pen, to destroy you.

This is the fluffy fawn looking in through the bedroom window offering comfort, or is that judgement, hard to tell. Bottom line is this: Do not leave your chicken soup on the counter too long, forget about it and stick it in the fridge. Do not eat that soup unless you have boiled the bejesus out of it. I reckon I am off of chicken soup for the rest of the year.  

Now there is snow falling and it is very lovely. I am going to live to rue another day! Cheers y'all- stay alive. I am off to take a nap after my nap.


37 comments:

  1. 37 paddington:
    Oh you’ve been through it! Poor dear. Wrung out completely it sounds like. Glad to hear you’re on the mend! Take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , just a bit wimpy today but so much better!

      Delete
  2. Ye Gods and Little Fishes! That doesn't sound like a good thing at all...and I've certainly followed that path. I am sorry now that I ate the left over tofu about 15 minutes ago that tasted a bit like sulfer. Oops. Do hope not to follow your example. I hope you're back to normal soon. And isn't it nice to feel like you can lift a book again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being that ill for only four days is nothing, probably, Folks go through worse. MUCH worse. It is nice to be able to lift a banana and to eat it!

      Delete
  3. what a cutie looking straight into your lens. Be about time it starts losing some of that winter fur. Totally love that truck. Hoping you are better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would look so fine in that little truck- they could not part with it though.

      Delete
  4. My deepest sympathies, I wondered where you were. When I was in college I worked in a hospital microbiology lab and frequently (you'd think I would have learned) put a pen in my mouth, contaminated myself with something and then would spend a few days on the bathroom floor not knowing which end would erupt. It was awful. Glad you're better, I will now take food safety more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting lax here, leaving food on the counter...I understand collapsing on the bathroom floor spurting out every opening! Horror!!

      Delete
  5. I’m so glad you’re on the mend. How scary! Hopefully lots of rest will have you all the way better.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, Onthe mend - that was intense but short lived ...relatively.

      Delete
  6. I have been wondering where you were, now I know and I am so damn sorry to know why. Glad you are better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, that lettle episode rather puts things into perspective- there are folks who go though much worse on a daily basis using chemo and such. I really do not know how they make it out alive!

      Delete
  7. Could you have accidently touched some droppings from your sweet buddies on the deck?
    Glad you are better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the poos from raccoons would give me something entirely different and likely more deadly. Raccoons have designated lavatories where they all go.

      Delete
  8. I was wondering what on earth you'd been eating, then you mentioned the soup. Hoo-boy! There's a memory. When my mum was living somewhere else after leaving me and dad, we went to visit and found the kids all eating some sort of grey soup and my sister declaring it tasted funny had my dad taking a look and smell at it. It was definitely "off", those kids had been eating from the same pot of soup for a week, always just left on the stovetop (without heat) "for tomorrow". Turns out Mum would make a huge pot and feed them from it until it was gone, so I was glad I didn't live there! I think it was soon after that my siblings came back home to live with Dad and me.
    When I make soup, or pretty much anything else, I always keep out just one serving and put the rest in the freezer in individual sized servings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, those poor children. Great idea , putting small bundles of soup in the freezer, I will remember to do that IF there is another soup made...

      Delete
  9. This sounds like hell. A horrible, special sort of hell. I am so glad you survived! And you have definitely done a public service by reminding us that food needs to be stored properly and that on the counter is not properly.
    You poor, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. generally it is so cold here that leaving food out on the counter is just like being in the fridge, but NOT chicken soup!! Never! Going on the fifth day and am still buggy with orange bacteria. nasty.

      Delete
  10. Omigod, chicken soup for the soul in hell! I'm glad you're on the other side of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha Fo Sho! Super bad and not in the super good bad way...

      Delete
  11. Damn. food poisoning is the worst. glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed- I though I had had food poisoning before but that was just gall stones...salmonella is way more intense.

      Delete
  12. What a nightmare bummer that was. Yikes. I am so glad that you are feeling better after all of that. Very kind of that fawn to come and comfort you. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoughtful curious little fawn, delightful to see and to watch her brother , I did not get in the photo but his ears are SO fluffy! He looks like a different species.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, I am concerned to hear you have had salmonella poisoning! Horrific - but I am also glad that you're on the mend. The only time I ever got as sick as that after eating, it was my first trip to the US and a Mexican restaurant (well, fast food). In those days Mexican food was not seen here in the UK. We all were soooo sick and staying in motels which all added to the fun.... I never was sure if it was reheated food or too many chilles. I have never eaten Mexican fast food again, even now that it has finally reached the UK and is quite popular here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horrors! Being ill in a motel is such a bad idea! REAL Mexican food will not make you ill. I can not imagine how terrible THAT was for you. Being at home with my own bathroom seems like a luxury!

      Delete
  14. PS Pity about the owners of the little truck, still, a good try to offer the original price! that made me smile. I hope you're fully recovered soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH NO! That sounds HORRIBLE. So sorry you had to go through that. I've had food poisoning before and it is no fun. (One Christmas when I was about 11 my aunt cooked a turkey and we all ate it, and then the whole household -- about ten people -- were up all night heaving. "Silent Night" it was not.)

    Those methods of chicken and steer cooking don't sound exactly environmentally friendly...but I imagine those guys in Carhartt aren't too worried about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Aunt must have felt like a murderer. Ten people all at once, beloved family members, the children...she probably carried that guilt forever.
      You are probably correct about the manly men giving a though to the environment..."what environment- MAGA- Trump won"...Yeah, that lot.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness...I'm so sorry! But I love your description of the eflluvia as "Trump orange"!

    I'm glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird that salmonella turns everything that it infects Trump orange, So appropriate.

      Delete
  17. Ugh. You know, salmonella can be deadly for a few hundred people a year. I'm grateful you are on the mend. So grateful. Yeah, I'd probably avoid chicken soup for quite a long time after that. The body remembers. Car Repair customer waiting rooms are really a subculture. Often, they smell of stale popcorn and thick coffee. They are a curiosity, but I never asked the question. xo, from karen frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car dealerships and waiting areas are a curiosity. And yes- popcorn and stale coffee, a given. I have to say that it was somewhat educational and annoying as hell and SO American loud insensitive boorishness to impose that bullshit on waiting customers. Glad I did not have to stay there long. I would have just gone out in the weather to avoid it. But there were some amusing parts. Like a decadent desert covered by carefully hand spun pink sugar floss that was three feet tall two feet wide- and then torched to reveal the real dessert all pink and cute inside...served on some macho thing like a hub cap or something.

      Delete
  18. FRESCA here. I vote, but that little red van/wagon at 2023 price and when you come back from London, convert it to hold wares (dolls? Felted creations? Used books?) and take to the road as a tinker! (Is “tinker” still an acceptable word?)
    Damn, I’d join you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly would do that...but it is not for sale at any price apparently. Maybe you could build one? New project?

      Delete