My Blog List

Sunday, February 19, 2023

art day in the Ham

 

By appointment only, in the oldest brick building in Washington state, built during the gold rush , used for court house, jail, taxidermy- now a renovated museum to house the art of Helen Loggie. 

The little building has long been a favorite little gem, in the "sketchy " part of town, I am amazed that is still remains upright.

Most of the window glass is also original , all wavy and irregular. The floors are stunning old growth cedar. Hefty beams.

 

Because Washington is a relatively new state it is unusual to have buildings from mid 1800's  hanging around. This one was built initially to sort out gold rush business but , because gold rushers were supposed to register in Victoria, they had to up root their houses and cart them to B.C. No grand houses left behind, just this little brick building.
 


Helen was born in 1898 to a wealthy timber baron family, in Bellingham.

They owned property here and on Orcas Is.After she came back from studying art in Europe , she decided to settle here and focus on her true loves, Trees/art/etching/. 

She is-has been- the star artist of the San Juans. I walked past her house every day on my way to work, she was still living then and shouting at children who would ride their bikes over the very large roots of her trees.

She never married, her wealth never ran out, she lived to be nearly one hundred. a blessed life of privilege and passion.

Her technique is most curious. She never used "shading", rather,  used varied thickness of pen or pencil to achieve depth and texture. some drawings took well over a year to complete. having finally completed a perfect drawing would then etch - wax on copper- every line redrawn precisely.  magnifying glass and stylus used by Helen.

She had done a fair amount of oil painting as well. Below is one  of Mud Bay in Chuckanut village where I lived in a cabin after having moved off of the boat in the harbor. This view is so familiar to me I nearly passed right by the painting.

There is more art in the basement, bars still on windows from when the jailed hooligans of the day lost their freedom. There is a small kitchen as well, but primarily it is an archive of all of the Bellingham news papers , some got flooded and were rescued by diligent historians. It took a few years to dry them out, flatten them and put them in large file holders. The collection is massive and fragile.

A large printer from the very old Herald days , in a corner for inspection and wonder.


So, that was Thursday in the town. On Friday Stella and I went to lunch , sorted out the world. She has a new hobby. In the evening ,with nothing better to do, she will follow  threads of "discussion" online. You know how that goes- people get stupid in a hurry. Stella leaves one comment - "shut up" - and then leaves the thread. Still laughing  days later, hilarious Stella!

She is on her way this summer to Finland, her mother land , for three weeks, never long enough but she has a little dog and not enough cash to stay longer. I think she should move there, she could as she is all the way back into the beginning of time- Finnish.  It is where she belongs.

Leaving the museum. My car parked behind the Light House Mission, which was for years the only roof and soup that bums could take advantage of. The rules were strict serving up  a lot of GOD talk along with the soup, the facility shoddy, it finally closed a couple of years ago. No longer an option. 

And here is a posy at the entrance of the place where Stella and I enjoyed a three hour lunch.  Snow is coming next week, surprising buds again.


Seeing art in the ham....and before you get mad at me for being insensitive:

"

A hobo is a migrant worker in the United States. Hoboes, tramps and bums are generally regarded as related, but distinct: a hobo travels and is willing to work; a tramp travels, but avoids work if possible; and a bum neither travels nor works."

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for defining the Hobo/Tramp difference, I thought they were the same. I always knew a bum was just that. I LOVE those old cedar floorboards!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were all the same as well. Tramps have always been intriguing- Tramp art is remarkable.

      Delete
  2. What a gem of an old building. I love it.
    They don't make them like Helen any more, do they? She was a talented artist.
    I'm glad you and Stella got to go out for lunch and setting the world to rights. "Shut up" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the cutest little building! I have always been an admirer and am so glad that it did not become a crack house or fall into ruin. Helen's museum, it is all so perfect.

      Delete
  3. Interesting day and stunning flower. I never really thought about the difference between a hobo and a tramp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we all knew what a bum was right? Hobos and tramps are legend by now but a bum is and will forever be, a bum.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful that the old brick building is still around and serving a purpose, all too often they get torn down by developers. Helen's art is beautiful, love the Mud Bay painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mud bay painting as well. Looks just like how it looks!

      Delete
  5. I hope that old building has visitors of a younger generation. I still recognize an 12" plank for what it is, but how many, even of my generation, do? The preservation of the little building is equally remarkable. I suspect Helen Loggie would be proud of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is remarkable that the guy who bought the building and renovated it to it's original self,uncover the glorious floors...also collected as many Helen's as he could from the age of eight! He put the two together in such a perfect marriage.

      Delete
  6. I love that the old brick building still survives. Helen was quite the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this. If I ever get to Bellingham, I hope this will be open. It's a treasure and so is the art. I love that they didn't foof it up but really did a beautiful renovation, keeping the wonderful wood. Her art technique fascinates me -- I might have to play with that idea!

    ReplyDelete