My Blog List

Saturday, February 4, 2023

all about that - basic

The high school French book that I never returned. It meant more to me than to the school so...I love this book- it makes French language easier than any other book I have found- elementary to be sure! And if you have been staying awake at night, singing Fais Ton Dodo , wondering about the translation , here you go.  Also I loved this book when I was fourteen- like a ticket out of town and someday Maybe I would actually go to France. Several trips to and through France, when I could be the boss of myself, determined that I do not really like France. But I still love this book.
 

The flowers died very quickly, only a week old. Petals everywhere and one dried blossom, I scooped them up and put them in the bowl on the table while I washed out the vase. Accidental coolness.
On my way home from Flora's house I stopped in at the Assistance League with purpose in mind. Looking for yardage to make a thing. There was this viking bowl for two dollars!  Yes please, I will have that- beside it, is the only thing I brought back from Norway- a stone from the shore.
Flora likes phones and cameras. This is her selfie .
This is her second selfie. The kid's got skills!

Much of the day spent figuring out the diaper business for dolly.

Head wrap, yes...arm wrap, yes. Dust cloth, yes. Diaper on baby's butt , nope. 

She talks to her babies and says GA GA GA GA- she also says " I ya ooo" Which is "I Love YOU"-her vocabulary really is growing and blows me away when she says something clearly , knowingly, like she is teaching me. I now know "car, tree, hat, Papa, owl, apple" - pretty soon I may be speaking English  fluently.

I take a bag full of toys when I go over, pack them back home after Flora has had the entertainment of emptying the bag. Electronic toy is just OK, not fabulous. Flora would rather have human interaction and that is how it should be! Her imagination is superb.

I was doing something with my back turned for one second and I heard Baby girl saying "yum umyumm" - I had half of a chocolate chip cookie in my purse,  in the double zipped pocket! Miss Flora sussed that out licketty split.  Man, she is fast and clever. I convinced her that  cookie was not a good idea and gave her nut butter on seed bread instead. Agreeable little pixie! 

What am I doing with half a chocolate chip cookie in my bag? I went to a friend's house for lunch , she baked them and fed me so well in her new slick- trendy- gorgeous-  television- worthy kitchen. I have not seen her for many many years , we drifted apart as people do. Pretty amazing to re-unite over lunch and art, Her house is a gallery! It is the most perfect place I have ever been, I think, besides all of those other perfect places that are not my house! I just can't seem to help myself- two more sawdust Polish dolls arrived in the mail. Think I can stop now- twenty is enough ? My friend's house has a theme, an aesthetic of good taste , complimentary colors , light , soothing , artsy and  interesting. This house is like " are you trashing that - I'll have it!" I mean really! Keeping dead petals? Sure. 


16 comments:

  1. Flora is adorable. Such a sweet, intelligent, enquiring face.
    Houses like your friends make me anxious. I would surely spill something. Yours sounds just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may spill all you can in this house of mine! Nothing is precious, more about comfort though some people might be uncomfortable because there is too much stuff. 20 polish dollies for instance.

      Delete
  2. What is the wooden triangular device behind Flora? It has a knob to turn and seems to have blue stuff wound around.
    That little girl has a fine set of teeth. I hope her grandpa is appreciative!
    I cannot imagine being happy in a bland house with nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The triangular thing is a versatile climber , Also a tent/house thing. The blue is a long blanket of silk in rainbow colors. She has wonderful stuff! She moves from one thing to the next over and over. Arranging and sorting.

      Delete
  3. I would have scooped the flower and the petals right into the bin and missed any chance of a "cool" display. I LOVE the Viking Bowl. Flora is growing and learning so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sensible- compost in a bowl probably not a great thing to keep around...Flora is so fast! Holy cow! Amazing!! Kind of like over night!

      Delete
  4. A high school French book! That Viking bowl is perfect for your Norwegian stone, and I'm sure Flora appreciates your traveling toys each visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book copyright, 1952, and still it is the best I have found for learning French. I am glad i sort of stole it from the school. It was outdated to be sure.

      Delete
  5. Ah, darling. Some of us have sleek sensibilities when it comes to our homes and some of us have the, well- the other kind. We are who we are.
    Flora is figuring out who she is, dipping her toes into all the waters, unzipping all the pockets, experimenting with all the ways of everything. She is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora is on! All the damned time! She may settle in for a few books but then she is off again, curious and creative Flora Jane!
      I can not change my love of EVERYTHING. No theme, no reasonable design...crazy house.

      Delete
  6. FRESCA here. The wilted lilies are beautiful. Are the white spider mums still staying alert though? I am going grocery shopping this afternoon--will look for flowers for my new (old) milk jug from Czechoslovakia, with a similar blue.

    Funny coincidence--we just got a Viking bowl like that donated at the thrift store! But it has some painted decorations on it.

    Kids' brains amaze me. I am talking to the AI ChatGPT--impressive, but it has nothing on a human baby brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spider mums are indeed still looking pretty and smelling lovely. I think that viking bowl was such a lucky find! Rarely do I see them up here. AI chat- does not appeal to me but you go girl!! Try to trick it!!

      Delete
  7. Is the Viking bowl wooden? I love the simple design.
    I had flowers for my Birthday, the last ones given me were Iris and they started to die within 48 hours. Last in and first out! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes wooden. Straight forward with a bit of flair, somewhat like Norge itself. I have found that flowers from Trader Joe last longer than Haggen's , but that is what one would expect i reckon. Haggen has slid so far downhill in every aspect. Flowers from the downtown shop are excellent- fresher and more beautiful!

      Delete
  8. Love that Viking bowl -- and keep the Flora photos coming! (She is a smart one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize that posting photos of babies is probably cheesy and not PC but damn I can not help it- I mean REALLY!!!

      Delete