My Blog List

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

timex large, 4:20, vanilla baby

4:20 twice a day as every Waldo knows. This 4:20 is AM, not a time for anyone to be up except murderers, stoners, and new mothers. I ordered this Timex because I had lost my other watch  , though super cheap,  this one has bigger everything, My eyes appreciate the enormous face and the military time as well as a light up in the night feature. My other watch was not really lost, just misplaced, but I am glad because  el cheapo Timex  is everything a visually impaired gal could hope for! 

My eyes at 4:20 am, could not determine if my cuppa was full enough...it was. (not shadow- that is coffee)
 

I thought that maybe I had enough uninterrupted time to replant all of the sprouts on the sill, but then realized that the potting soil was outside in the rain and  temperature below chill and the little clay pots were in the mystery garage somewhere.  Onward to another thing to do in the dark.

Early in the afternoon, while running errands, hunting and gathering, I went to the thrift store which I said I would boycott just on principle- looking for , um, what was it that I was looking for???

I forget- but this is what I came away with, who could resist? Plus it was senior discount day- bonus. 

I bought the larger baby doll for Flora, as she is now in the mood for baby dolls with blinky eyes. The little cloth doll is a Waldorf doll with hand knit cable sweater, clean as a whistle, never played with. The little black dolly has stuffing coming out of legs and head. She  is a darling and well worth saving.


So, at 4:20 am, I sat with this baby doll on my lap , looking it up online especially since a woman as I left the shop said," That is a very nice doll- I collect dolls, rather USED to, I had to get rid of 400 , only kept 200 as I have moved into a condo, It broke my heart." (only kept 200!!!)

 This baby doll was made in France. Les Plumini, 1999, a company that prides itself on not using phthalates , cadmium or other harmful substances. The doll is cloth bodied and cuddly, wears French diapers and had a french onesie that had seen better days. I bought it a new outfit for a dollar. Sitting on my lap, in the dark quiet , I felt  a 4:20 a.m. peace. 

I began to wonder if I was experiencing contact munchies- kept smelling cookies , vanilla cookies, getting hungrier by the minute, got up to rummage through the kitchen, put the dolly on the chair. 

The farther I got from dolly the  more the cookie smell waned...

I could not find this doll online anywhere, just  newly made ones, though  did find an obscure description. "Doll smells of  soft vanilla, a comfort  for your child"....Well, that puts the kibosh on giving this baby to our baby! Emily is allergic to fragrances, all sorts, Plus I am realizing now that everywhere this dolly is,  a strong vanilla scent lingers. It is kind of icky , like the feeling you get having consumed way too much buttercream icing on top of fudge on top of a peanut butter toffee chocolate chip brownie- you know that feeling...It is a wonderful doll , just right for cuddling  and in perfect condition. However if 24 years of being in the wild has not weakened the vanilla  cookie smell , nothing will. Dolly is cursed. Poor thing. It is too cute and forlorn to give back to V.V. so I will just let it rest here until I get a taker. Could be a family of covid victims who have lost their sense of smell, or a family of folks having no noses. In the meantime, dolly sits with the rest of odd dolls, on a bed in a room with the door closed- could put it in the bathroom in lieu of air freshener...there's a thought. Dolly does a service!



Daylight finally came- raccoons on the deck having a nosh and few grapes. One stayed behind and took a long nap. Airing out the unders.

It is not unusual to have three pregnant raccoons on the deck ,  all napping at the same time, usually in this position.


 


18 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet doll. It's too bad that the vanilla smell lingers for so long. It really is a wonderful Waldorf doll (which I just had to google because I'd never heard of them before.)
    I always love seeing the raccoon on your deck.
    4:20, a very special time in the celebration of marijuana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best part is 4:20 twice a day!! Let's hear it for the Waldos! My old brain cells can not imbibe and still function so... adios jazz cabbage!

      Delete
  2. I love the watch. I looked at them for awhile, but could not decide if the strap would work with my wrist, which is small. Large black numerals on a white background for the win! My mother's old watch was gold hands on a gold background, it couldn't be read by me without readers. Too bad the doll smells like vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wrist is the only small part of me, The band is a good one, it breathes , unlike the leather one of my other watch. The price is right- what- twelve bucks? can't go wrong!

      Delete
    2. Did you order it online or brick and mortar. If online, can you give me the link?

      Delete
    3. there was a 50% off special after christmas but now they are normal price.
      https://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-T2N651-Weekender-Slip-Thru/dp/B004VR9HP2?th=1

      Delete
  3. I love vanilla! What a shame I live too far away. I'm sure you will find a taker if you decide to not keep her in the bathroom. Does she have a name? Love the raccoon sunning itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a vanilla-scented doll. That's just bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apparently dog toys are now being made with the same vanilla sickly scent- why??? It is gross and gives me a headache.

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of a Waldorf doll either, although of course I know about Waldorf schools. I had a son-in-law at one time who taught in one.
    Dang. I would be so upset to discover a "comforting" vanilla scent in a doll. I wonder what in hell they use that can last for so long. Otherwise, what a beauty! And the little Black baby- well, you know my heart would have directed me to take that child home.
    Ooh boy- you are going to have a rodeo's worth of raccoons this spring!
    I haven't worn a watch in over a decade, I am sure. I never did like wearing one. When I'd get home I'd take off my watch and my bra- usually both were off before I got to the bedroom. And of course shoes came off at the door. I am barely civilized. But if I wore a watch, it would look like that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I do not wear ..stuff either, haven't even owned a bra for about thirty years, A watch , on the other hand (get it, OTHER hand) is helpful for me to watch time slip away, also for travel, being on time is important. I am surprised at how much I really like this Timex honker! It is so comfortable.

      Delete



































  6. Could you leave the doll outside in the daytime on non rainy days and let it absorb our wonderful air? Then maybe seal him in a plastic bag with something which has an appealing smell for a week?
    I bought a Norwegian sweater from GW which stank of mothballs. Two days on the bench on the deck fixed it, Good weather and brought in at night. JanF



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure , it might help but I think the "fragrance" is built into the plastic.

      Delete
  7. How strange - a scented doll. I would not be a fan either. And blinky-eyed dolls honestly freak me out a little.
    That is some skilled coffee pouring! A trick to drink I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. long lips! Skilled slurping technique. Blinky eyes are kind of creepy but so is a fixed wide eyed stare!

      Delete
  8. So good to see the raccoons. It's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have not gone anywhere! They are faithfully here for breakfast.

      Delete