My Blog List

Monday, January 23, 2023

thrift store this afternoon, purchased a winner painting

Table that weighs more than a truck, thick marble top and hunky wood. Not sure about the style or how ancient this table is. It must have lived in a large house with large people!
 
 Fancy shifting that thing. Impossible. It will likely be there a long time unless a giant finds it for  his giant  castle.

Moving on to a shelf where this doll sat. Super shiny hard plastic,  jointed brilliantly,  pose-able in  all ways, yoga pretzel bendy poses. I left her there but not without looking her up- She is a Disney babe- the china doll from Oz the great and powerful. Adorable clip of the doll in the movie pleading to go with the wizard and to not be left behind. Her china family died,  smashed , something terrible. The skin of the doll  looked like dragon scales rather than glued together porcelain. I guess that is part of the story- the wizard glues her back together, saves her life.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=china+doll+oz+the+great+and+powerful+clip#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:26427bb7,vid:EpzJQoWm6Nk

Other dollies in a sad pile- the one at the back looks fairly terrified.
Wooden chick by a wooden block  would have come home with me if I lived on a farm, but I don't , so it didn't.

BUT THIS!!!  just made my day! Pencil , watercolor and gouache 

Painted 1921 by "Van Wyk", which I had no success in finding in the google library of everything.


Ten dollars, so yes, I will have that thank you.

Plus a few little bits that were in a plastic bag on the thing- wall- of- plastic bags -filled with odds and sods.

The goldfinch is from the studio of Edith Cole, The  flocked owl is from Hong Kong and the tiny crochet baby is from a tiny crochet mother, probably. I also bought yarn - made pompom puffs for no reason at all other than that  they are cheerful. 

Tomorrow I will go to Emily's house to see what Flora is up to. Emily's grandmother died just thirty minutes ago in Arizona- not that death is not expected but , damn. Abrupt, quick,  stroke  blew her lights out.

She was my friend . Last time we talked  I told her I wished that I could see her soon- her reply was, "Oh, you  will...in heaven. I will find you."

She believed that - such  sweet sentiment .

 She is gone and like all deaths of loved ones -  it  smacks you in between stinging eyes and stabs  a little bit in thick emo clogged throat. Though your rational mind tells you all of the  facts and logic, the urge to bargain with the reaper is at the fore . "Just one more summer, I will do your laundry for a year, please, just one more."  Ain't gonna happen, end mark, full stop. And there is no damned heaven, dammit.

Kim, on her way to  help her folks , got waylayed for two days with the flu, changed her flight for tomorrow feeling sure that she would be able to hold her mother's hand and talk  heart language.  Bummer timing.  Full stop.


21 comments:

  1. That painting is great and so '20s! It could be Daisy from "The Great Gatsby." That table is a behemoth but it's beautiful and surely someone will give it a home. The doll on the right in the pile o' dolls looks handmade...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the doll of the right is handmade, wearing a hijab and billowing trousers, hand knit cardi and boots. The brown doll in the middle is also a hand made thing but for commercial purpose , tourists.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about Emily's grandmother. "find you in heaven", what a sweetie.
    As for that table, I think it will be standing long after all of us are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table is going to last until the end of time! How they moved it is a mystery!

      Delete
  3. Although I admire that painting tremendously, the woman in it looks way too much like someone I used to know and okay, still know, but have rather negative feelings about.
    Oh, the dollies! Why do they tug my heart so?
    That table- Jesus! I want that in my next lifetime. I'll try to remember to look for it in heaven.
    Seriously though, I am so sorry that Kim did not get her planned last minutes with her mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim already had planned her trip well before her mother become so ill. The flu stopped her , she changed flights, stay with her other daughter in the city to ride out the flu- and her mom stroked out. All so quick , surprising and sad but not unexpected.

      Delete
  4. FRESCA here.
    I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of your friend--boom, gone--how many of us want to go probably but it's hard on those left--so abrupt!
    I love the idea of her finding you in the afterlife---the newcomers in heaven (if it existed) would be rattled and lost, bumping into the furniture--perhaps that large table will be there--would go nicely in heaven's entryway---could hold welcome gift bags! Like tchotchke bags at the thrift stores.
    IF heaven were real,
    I figure part of mine could be an endless thrift store--I'd run into all my pals in the aisles--"Linda Sue, LOOK AT THIS DOLL!"

    Nice painting--like Taylor Swift in the 20s...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor Swift in the 20's goes so well with Taylor Swift of the new bunny year. the bunny year bound to be light and happier - instead of a disgruntled eff, a happier joyful eff.
      I concur with your idea of heaven- I will find you there!

      Delete
  5. Our thrift stores never have anything like that. We never know when our time will be up. So say it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it all the time- do it now, if life is on hold for any reason,

      Delete
  6. That's a beautiful painting. Now I want to go to a thrift store to see the art and other treasures they have there.
    I love what Emily's grandmother said. I will remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices are incredibly good for the most part. However , if you wanted to haul that massive table home it would cost you 400 smackers!

      Delete
  7. I think Bellingham has the best thrift store anywhere. Tucson never has good stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to know. Palm Springs has excellent thrift/charity shops too. Old folks unloading treasure.

      Delete
  8. Karen here, LS: I love that painting, too, and am happy to picture it being appreciated in your home. Captured by Van Wyk, that nano-second moment of a bubble balanced on finger tips. So optimistic, right before "pop." A metaphor for life. Which leads me to Emily's grandmother, your friend. Even though it's not completely unexpected, because mortality, it still gives up pause to remember, appreciate, face the hard fact and truth of it all. And another truth, that something like the flu can stop us momentarily, but significantly. Side note: I need nothing more in my home, but tell me which thrift store, pretty please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the one i never go to- Goodwill...I jus t happened to stop in because i was at the post office. Assistance league is so much mobetta!

      Stopped momentarily yet significantly- that is the perfect storm! that is the deal...

      Delete
  9. Leenie here. The painting is a wonder, especially if it is an original. Would have been my choice too. The table was also amazing but it needs a home in some mansion. A china doll like that, if it is a limited edition is going for $700 on Ebay. So sorry Emily's grandma is gone. But a lady knows when it's time to leave. We can all hope she's right about seeing her later. This life is full of surprises and a lot of them are happy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fortunate I can put nothing more in my studio, good or bad. Just sell it and see it gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That table is gorgeous! I like the cloth dolly with the knitted vest and socks. So sad about the sudden death, but going quickly is better than lingering in a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes! That painting is fabulous. I liked the table but the painting -- that's a big love!

    ReplyDelete