My Blog List

Friday, January 13, 2023

moody sky, gorgeous vase, orphans doing stuff

Back to normal. This is OUR weather- this morning it was 60 degrees, overcast , the rain came but not furiously. Dark , of course. but the bay looks so lovely in its soft stripes and moodiness. Aren't the colors delicious?

I went to AL , knowing that I may come home with an object or two...Yes indeed, rarely disappointed. A matte pottery vase probably from the forties, and a section of  branch, hand carved into three joining sections ( bowls), Beauty! On the way home had to stop and get fresh flowers for the new old vase. 

Organic wild  free range chickens were on sale, if you can even believe that! Was the grocery doing us a solid or just trying to get rid of diseased bird flu  chooks? Dunno but one is roasting in the oven right now. 

I have spent way too many hours looking at places in London and near by - have decided that AirB&B is  scamming, they have become way too  greedy, as seems to happen with all things . Their fees are crazy, plus if I want a chunk of time the  places I would consider  are already semi booked for autumn. VRBO is just flat out ridiculous. So, this is what I will do- stay a week here and a week there in affordable hotels. which will give me varied neighborhoods to wander. I will not have to book so far in advance either. Plus moving around will keep my pack light. I will only come back with photos. (right)

At AL, I bought a pet for the orphans. They have been jealous that one of their sisters went to live in the Gator infested waters of Florida. This is perfect.

In the post yesterday  from  orphan godmother Fresca, came some jolly sheet music , Maple ,   having never seen sheet music before  was pretty sure that someone had flattened little round bugs in tidy rows. "Clever", she thought, as she went out to find some to flatten.


 

So another day another dollar at AL. The skies are back to Pacific northwest  soggy flannel. Cara Cara oranges are abundant in the market now, like dessert- so sweet and juicy- gator approved.  All is well and cheap hotels are the answer!

Keep your powder dry!
By the way, Jack Ryan on amazon prime is a good watch. Binging on that dude! Staying up way too late but , you know how it goes. binge worthy series are one delight that we can get away with, being grown ups and all....No body tells us "time to go to bed" , or "turn that damned thing off!" John Krasinski is soooo good, as is Wendell Pierce. Heart racingly good.

9 comments:

  1. Love the gator and carved wood piece. Your girls are having a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I would have bought that vase in a heartbeat! And I know the orphans love their new pet. Their sister might actually be jealous. She only has the rumors of nearby overly large reptiles to enjoy.
    Glad you're sorting out your trip. It makes me happy to think of you going off to your favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the girls on the piano playing some fine music. Umbrella girl is adorable. Alligators and rainy skies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooden carving in front of blue vase looks like a Dutch wooden shoe which the carver couldn't stop whittling!
    Love the tiny red rain boots on the last photo! Where on earth do you find all these outfits?
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear Jack Ryan is good. I've been wanting to watch it but Dave is not interested. Maybe if I give him this review he'll change his mind!

    That vase and the wooden bowl(s) are amazing. You have really good thrift stores there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maple has her bug-flattening boots on! I am glad you have procured the orphans a gatorlike friend---that was probably their true dream...

    Oh, that blue vase... The pleasure of even a photograph of it makes me think I SHOULD get a little teapot in a similar blue, made in Czechoslovakia (you know the deep colors of a certain kind of their pottery?), that I've been eyeing at the thrift store. I can't believe it hasn't sold. If it's there on Monday, I will get it. And I will copy you and get white spider mums for it (if I can find some---eventually I will).
    I bet that wood is wonderful to rub or hold in your hands over, is it?

    I love the idea of being a hotel hopper in London! Each one a new trip in the same city!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS OMG, where you live---the deliciousness of those colors outdoes any pottery glaze.

      Delete
  7. We went with an AirBnB for Tucson, and that won't happen again. The fees are just ridiculous. They're convenient and easy, but too expensive. That three sectioned piece of wood is amazing, you're lucky to have such a good thrift store in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little flat round bugs in tidy rows. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete