My Blog List

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Butterscotch the tiger, single handed sailing through life

 The new year  changing from 1991 to 1992,  became a well lodged  lesson  in expectations and that ,in this world, you must be able to  navigate your vessel single handedly. The by gone  parties , the champagne  kisses, the resolutions and wishes - the midnight baby kicking the old man to the curb,  seems as remote as a movie I once saw. This was real new year without  contrivance. Resolution.

The year of 91-92 new year's eve -  Alone , winter surging outside, Dennis gone as he was wont to be.  Fireworks going on over the bay, christmas lights  twinkling, I decided that , nope, I will celebrate anyway , not just  with the  dogs snoozing under the table, but also with my sleeping,tiny child. Fuck this yearning for "idealism" .

I gathered him up in my arms  wrapped up in  his so soft blanket to sit/half asleep by the fire, I with my gin and tonic, he with his juice box. We toasted the new year , clunked cardboard and glass together as we welcomed the year with a "cheers, or , in his case, "cheahwus". We included Butterscotch, his tiger, who watched over the nursery protecting the little ones from the bully doll, Buddy ,  and any other harm that might come to them. Butterscotch guarded the downstairs door as well. We felt secure...

Still  gainfully employed, Butterscotch continues to watch over the velveteen rabbits, the Poohs, the orphans. He is quite old as guard tigers go but is still steadfast and sure. No harm will come to thee....

A very happy new year , he guarantees it. Your vessel will continue through all sorts of waters- no expectations, just "man" your own boat skillfully, and celebrate this one precious life. (even if you have to wake the baby to do it)

-0-

This, just now passing below the window-Indicative of the new year- all bright and beautifully fluffy. An omen of sorts.  We can make it so.

 A bright and fluffy year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6rSsLsptBw&ab_channel=TheNewStatesman

Above is a link that is well worth listening to as you prepare for the coming year. Sorting the chaos of this country and the  comparison of Boris trumpwannabe to the actual trump gov.  A clear vision to say the least- hand wringing only if one does not "get" history- don't let that pendulum knock you for a loop!

Strength, clear vision, no expectation, put one sure foot in front of the other, You are solid in the  so called new year. You will be just fine!

Butterscotch remains. with you in mind always, realizing that you may need his services, protection, encouragement and tiger spirit. Here to serve, madame.


21 comments:

  1. Yesterday as I worked outside, Maurice kept me company, as she does, always pretending that she has no interest in my doings whatsoever and yet, in her presence, I felt a small bit of that protection that you talk about. "My little tiger," I thought, as I do. We all need these watchers, these familiars, be they warm blooded or no-blooded, whatever year we find ourselves in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. watchers, silently making sure your boat is on course and aware of log jambs ahead.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Linda Sue - and to Butterscotch as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterscotch thanks you and sends a watchful eye your way.

      Delete
  3. Butterscotch-lovely name for a tiger and a good watch tiger. I still sleep with the large dog my parents gave me years ago and it gives me comfort at times. We all need watchers whether or not we are aware of them.
    Happy New Year Linda Sue!
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you and to Butterscotch. I love the bright and fluffy omen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to tell front from back end- like time itself.

      Delete
  5. I love Butterscotch the tiger, also love butterscotch ice cream! In my whole life I have never celebrated New Year's Eve. I see the fireworks displays on the TV news the next day and that's good enough for me. I have no expectations, just hopes that things will be better, friends and family will be safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great that Butterscotch continues to watch over you! (And hopefully all of us!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year, you! I am choosing to believe that the pendulum has swung all the way right and has begun it's slow progress back to the other side. Lovely photo of your precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be correct...not sure which way the swing is headed but I am going to duck just in case it gets wild.

      Delete
  8. Screw idealism, but that 91-92 celebration sounds pretty ideal, actually -- toasting the new year with juice and gin, baby on lap, Butterscoth to guard.

    Yes, learn to navigate--no one's going to do it for us, or not forever...
    Sail on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it was ideal.
      Butterscotch is glad to be here still. Decluttering might have been a threat...

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Linda Sue! The new year holds more promise than we thought it would if the midterms turned out the other way. Regardless it's a time to look forward with hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The midterms bailed us out- pretty sure we will not dip into that particular insanity again, though one never knows in this country of right wing nutso weirdos

      Delete
  10. I thought of my Butterscotch; a wry tail kitten from the wrong side of the tracks. I remember all his adventures. Holding him while the vet got off his flea collar and then keeping him still for an inoculation. Holding up the collar, the vet remarked he generally did not approve of them, but this time it had saved the cat's life, as the metal buckle stopped a large predator's tooth. Finding him working his way home after a vindictive neighbor transported him several precincts away. Scotty was a good guy, so placid, so devoted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that neighbor died a grisly death. What a shite thing to do!!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous dog, will look out for him/her! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the dog passes by your house, you can not miss it! Large and lovely!

      Delete