My Blog List

Friday, January 20, 2023

1930 again? Cooper's hawk, a breather

CUTE!
 
This morning out of the corner of my eye-  larger than a towhee , more graceful than a crow, with a very direct stare. Coopers hawk on the rail looking at me,   like I might have a mouse in my pocket.  Hawks rarely come to our house.  Such a pleasant surprise to have a new visitor. He watched for a while, interested in what I was doing, it appeared. I had no mouse in my possession, other than computer mouse, not tasty. Dang. He lost interest and flew to a more promising field.

 

I was looking up Homelessness, tramps, hobos and bums.  and came across this excellent site:

Hooverville in Seattle.

https://depts.washington.edu/depress/index.shtmlhttps://depts.washington.edu/depress/index.shtml

The difference between homeless today and the homeless of yesterday-  homeless of yesterday tried , at least in Hooverville. They built a functioning community, helping one another, building shacks  out of the cast offs from the "haves", from the garbage dump close by. They looked for work, they worked  for a penny or a sock, for anything at all.

1930/31 was unkind to just about everyone. The folks in Seattle,  Scandinavian immigrants primarily , tried like hell to make it work, to stay alive, to be productive citizens. Success. However, as seems to be consistent in human existence,  when a group  deemed  as "the other"  their efforts become  guaranteed failure.

 The city burned Hooverville  to the ground....twice. Many of the menfolk worked on the docks , very little pay if at all,  a fishhead , a bowl of soup...maybe an old worn souwester to wear in  Seattle's  relentless  foul weather. They did all of the things to be right and true in this foreign land of opportunity?

"Burn it down! Eyesore! Go away!We want the  pretty, NOT the pretty dirty."


The homeless situation  is very different these days -mental hospitals non existent, cheaply made drugs  burning holes in brains, ridiculous truck loads of guns/knives/ explosive devices  on the street,  folks trying to stay warm making fires in ally ways , established businesses burning down as a result . Fentanyl cut into  drugs . The homeless population has no where to go and for the most part have mental issues scraping souls  down to splinters.  Reagan and capitalism  saw to that. Republicans - consistent are they not? This is such  old news,so  what's my point.  Point is- IDK- come out from under the covers long enough to see  our sorry  country  and where it is headed, complacency is a trick.  Make a plan for yourself. These past two years have been a sorely needed breather having gasped  through the orange gas, but that is all it is, a breather. Complacency trending.... If you are lucky enough to have a home or relatives with homes, hang on tightly and donate what you can to mental health facilities - (talking to myself here). Circle  wagons , live smaller. Bring the chickens and goats in as well. Huddle.    Preach it Sister!  

Could a Great Depression happen again? Possibly, but it would take a repeat of the bipartisan and devastatingly foolish policies of the 1920s and ' 30s to bring it about. For the most part, economists now know that the stock market did not cause the 1929 crash.------
I think we have the recipe!


Yesterday and today the sky miraculously cleared. Light wonderfully  blinded us ! Fabulous, just as I was about to kick the stool.

Cheated death again, thank you Mr. Golden Sun!!  Stella and I  went out for lunch, a celebration!

Crab melts and salad, I have eaten better  crab melts but there is nothing quite as good as the company of Stella- could eat poop and it  would be just fine, in the company of the gal with the best ideas.  We ran out of fucks to give, we gave them all, like machine gun fire. Burden lifted, cathartic,  satisfied,  not complacent, just, you know, a breather. 



10 comments:

  1. The PNW is just miraculous when the sun comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that blue, blue sky! And a Cooper's Hawk, hoping for a mouse in your pocket. Signs of impending spring, or just a teaser. We know, but can hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I can not leave comment on your blog for some reason-
      Spring is a teaser, and we will have snow next week so they say and rain and rain and rain.

      Delete
  3. You have blue sky! I've yet to see some of that here. I worry about the homeless with our weather here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taxes should cover the homeless issue somewhat but taxes are cut, churches are not a refuge any more, work for your supper , nope. We are lost.
      The blue sky was just a glimmer, a tease as Joanne claims.

      Delete
  4. And our blue sky of the past week must have changed places with your somber gray one. Looks like a good day to stay inside and mend things to me today. That's all right. It is definitely your turn.
    I have no idea what a solution for homelessness looks like. I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve a Republican plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Republican party had become Taliban pretty much, equally as insane powerhungryasses. I am going through a pissed off stage at the moment, what comes next...denial? I dunno. The rain and darkness is settling in for a few days. One day of relief was good.

      Delete
  5. All great civilizations come to an end and I'm thinking maybe this world civilization is on the brink. Not just us, if we fall, the world falls with us. I wonder, do they have homeless in China? The deadly drug problem we have? Maybe, maybe they just execute them and be done with it. Overcast dreary days here. So is my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our thinking is matchy matchy! You could be right about China- "trouble?" execute it!

      Delete