My Blog List

Monday, December 5, 2022

The most painted woman, trash drawings, study in madness

The most painted woman in history, Suzy Solidor, painted by over 200 artists, big names and talent. She left home at age 17, went to apprentice with an antique dealer who promoted her talent as a singer and cabaret performer.  You probably know of her, I did not.  I found some trash checking through  the bins at the university art department. My favorite trash! This book of Suzy fell out in pages. I used some in collage. Did not have a clue who she was.  Here is a BBC link to her life story , condensed-

and HERE is what she sounded like. I have chosen a couple of drawings - I like drawings best, they are quick and expressive, besides the big oils are what get most of the attention.



I got lost in the google universe this morning looking up Suzy and her shenanigans. Came away thinking that she was one very clever egotistical creative soul  who died, lacking.


When she died alcholhol and weight gain had over taken her as she walked alone , in a magestic suit, along the beach having lost her voice and her looks and all of her friends. 


Also , in the trash bin, Were these student drawings on large paper.

Studies in veg?




One quick un -finished building looming  out of the green, the only watercolor in the trash that day. I kept it for the good quality paper that I could re-use, but obviously did not. 

I like the water color and think that if I could do as well I would be sad to find it in the trash. 

 

 

I had an "oh for fucks sake" moment this morning, nothing to do with art, more to do with hoarder. Enough already!

My chest is still thumping with frustration.  The hoarder intended to make this room, the only room where we hang- into a flight simulator room. He bought the parts to build a huge flight simulator- that is fine, well and good...but in the middle of where we live? Living with other people is sometimes hard.

 Please no, I said, you have an entire room , the largest , downstairs for your "hobbies"  ( which has more become another hoard). Dear lord, won't you buy me a house of my own? A studio at any rate, a place, a room away from this madness. THICK! dammit.



23 comments:

  1. University art department trash treasure! I'd never heard of Suzy, but it's not like I'm a woman of culture who would know these things. Just read her Wikipedia page. Your blog - so educational...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on moving the flight simulator downstairs. Suzy is new to me but it's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This house is so poorly organized and has many hindrances to make sense. It is crazy, built by a guy with no sense about a functioning house. A spec house- throw it together in a hurry and flog it- in the seventies.

      Delete
  3. Hey, could you maybe build one of those Tiny Homes in your yard!? Just for you, and with a deck for 🦝 raccoons?
    Or, alternatively, for the flight simulator, but I always thought a little shed for a studio would be swell.
    —FRESCA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to suggest a She Shed; bigger than Dennis' tool shed and you keep the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A studio shed would be the most perfect thing ever!!

      Delete
  5. Hold fast! Hold the line - no flight simulator or sounds of crashing airplanes in the living room. Not now, not ever. Good luck with that. Even as a little kid you had artistic talent. I did not get any part of the gene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had nothing better to do when I was a child- no TV, wintered in for months on end- I had a pencil and paper, my escape.

      Delete
  6. I was going to ask "why does he need a flight simulator?" but never mind. Men are hard to understand. I have never heard of Suzy Solider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have heard of
      Suzy! A slight simulator is a lot cheaper than having a plane. Dennis can not pilot a plane anymore, health issues.

      Delete
  7. As to the overtaking of the living space...well. You may have heard of the Glen Den? Not only does he have a garage as big as an airplane hanger, he also has the Glen Den which is filled with his animal heads AND the big TV. And also toys, to be honest. But he has also taken over my "office" which to be honest, I barely used but still...
    Sigh.
    I'm with Allison. Hold fast. For Christ sake. Or, if that's not possible, do look into building a she shed. My new(ish) next door neighbor has one and it is lovely. It appears to be a premade shed with a tiny front porch and from what I am hearing these days, is getting a custom build-out. YOU DESERVE THIS!
    I think that Suzy would agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be no other alternative- I will just have to take up the dinning room with painting and felting...we will never have another dinner...that is fair. Glen takes up a lot of man space, men like BIG -except in women...then they get all judgy.

      Delete
  8. Make your claim! Just say NO. Everytime he tries to set it up dismantle it and move it to the basement. Lay on the floor in the open space arms and legs akimbo, refuse to move.

    Me too, never heard of Suzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan...it would not work with this one however.

      Delete
  9. Dennis - Just no. Hell no. Clean out the garage to make room for your airplane and giant TV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder why Suzy was THE MOST painted woman on the planet? What a sad end she came to. Those student drawings are very good, to my eye at least. Why were they in the trash, I wonder. As for the flight simulator, well, that's a new one on me in the way of men's toys. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy's mission was commercial fame- before the media made all of that possible , she did the best thing of all- employing artists to make portraits. All are truly lovely and amazing, She carted them around with her for publicity. Clever! Student drawings are just exercises on bad paper. They will crumble.

      Delete
  11. I love all the rescued paintings! I hadn't heard of Suzy. I'll have to do some research of my own. I am sorry about your hoarder frustrations. I too would draw the line at a flight simulator in the living room! (Or wherever you're most often "hanging.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the line has been drawn, thank you! Suzy was quite the gal- openly gay in the 20's , flouted everything, I am so glad that she used artists , she left quite the collection!

      Delete