My Blog List

Sunday, December 4, 2022

Shite Christmas presents from a child

When I was a child I made Christmas presents , mostly because my brother had robbed my piggy bank which was not a pig at all but a  metal stage coach- free from the bank- with the intention of "savings"- save so much a bank account might have to be opened. Why else would they hand out stage coach banks?

 I made a calendar for my parents - it took forever, at least four days. Some of the months -  predictable and OK. Some were like I had been possessed, no middle ground. Mom kept it, and now I have it in the down low cupboard. I only just thought of it as I was looking for -something- I can not remember what. Thank you old age!!
 

Skunk, fuzzy tail done by accidentally putting something on top of it before it was dry.

The numbers were difficult, precision has never been something I triumphed over- It is a large-ish calendar. A good enough gift I suppose. Better that some of the gifts I gave them. They were very polite and gracious about receiving gifts from the trash of my mind!

One year I made a stuffed rabbit for them- It disappeared rather quickly after Christmas- "Why isn't it on your bed?" I asked- "Gosh I don't know!" was the reply. 

 Fair enough, I thought it was pretty amazing- it was a questionable rabbit. The hand stitching was gappy - brown and green- I painted a face on it resembling road kill-  Sail rabbit with rosy cheeks and one ear. 

One year I made for  them a cow, out of an old hand bag. It did not get great reviews, and after it was unwrapped, it also disappeared.  Hmmm mysterious, I blamed my brother because he was  most likely jealous of my skills , probably, yeah, pretty sure.... I guess the calendar was safe enough to keep - milk toast.  Nothing too weird.

Bottom of barrel with this post, sorry. Scroll away.

 




10 comments:

  1. Most parents are pretty gracious around Christmas and birthdays. And you are, too, when it's your turn, and where did you learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My folks were hard pressed to NOT have a telling facial expression.

      Delete
  2. Did your brother rob your piggybank every year? I would have smacked him with it and hid my money somewhere else. (my ex had such tendencies and I got very good at hiding places!) I like your December page very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my brother ALWAYS robbed me, I didn't mind- really, I wanted to make him happy and money made him happy, his entire life. His cross to bear.

      Delete
  3. This makes me sad. I would have treasured your home made gifts and lavished praise on my clever daughter. We still have stuffed animals that Hank made for us when he was little and I have beautiful dolls that May has made me. They really are works of art. And of love. I'm sorry your parents didn't recognize the effort and creativity involved. And don't you ever call your mind "trash" again. I mean it! Your mind is a jewel box of ideas and art.
    That calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hank and May were probably better at making things than I. Plus my mother only liked pretty things. She had such a hard life I understand that smooth textures were her "go to". Thank you Mary, you dear sweet lovely woman!

      Delete
  4. Um, this looks like stuff I make now...
    If I had a kid that made stuff like this, I'd be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kids are great- Erik was that kid!Clever in the extreme!

      Delete
  5. "Why isn't it on your bed?" I asked- "Gosh I don't know!" - HA!
    That calendar, though. Needs preservation, fer shur.
    Your brother, he looks rather robberish in the photo evidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least my folks did not say "Ewww" - they just spirited the "art" away....it went to spirit land. Robber boy- thug life!

      Delete